Pistolville Porter | Mount Dora Brewing

Mount Dora Brewing
Florida, United States
mountdorabrewing.com

Style: American Porter

This is our "first shot" at our rich, flavorful porter. Named for Pistolville, which is the historic part of town where we are located, this brew has a deep brown color, with a very smooth finish.

Added by cjgator3 on 06-12-2010

Liked:
3.49/5
Alströms:

Reviews by PorterLambic:
4.32/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Listed as 7.5% not 10.5%.

Arrives deeply brown with red at the edges. Very little head to begin with then dropping to a faint film and ring.
Smell is toasted malt, caramel, vanilla and a bit of brown sugar and cardboard. Great balance, good complexity.
Taste is even better with heavily roasted malt, vanilla, caramel, coffee and brown sugar notes weaved throughout. Great complexity and balance. Exactly what a good Porter should taste like, IMO.
Smooth, rich and delicious. Medium bodied, light-medium effervescence, this is a really good porter. I wish I could get a growler to go. They could/should label this a vanilla porter to better indicate the flavor profile.

4.31/5  rDev +23.5%

An excellent choice if you like a good porter. I found the brewery quite by accident when touring Mount Dora with my wife and daughter. A small bar and cafe, outdoors if you like, that serves a variety of brewed-on-premise beers.

I fell in love with all six beers they offered but this one especially. Dark, somewhat chocolate in fragrance. Smooth, almost silky on the tongue and upper pallete. Sweet but not overly so, with a slightly bitter finish, on the back of the tonque and throat, that complements the flavor, just a hint of what some call the 'cigar ash' taste you might associate with a porter or stout. This has become a favorite of mine which I do recommend to friends should they ask...and sometimes when they don't.

In my opinion worth the stop if you are in the vicinity of the brewery.

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a pint glass was quite dark , black really. Minimal head , but has a really full flavor of malt and vanilla , coffee. Body medium , quite smooth on its way down, but very rich. Lots of vanilla after taste. I could drink a few of these.
a nice treat in a small historical town.

4.56/5  rDev +30.7%

Pours a semi-thick almost pitch black, with minimal head. Served ice cold in a pint glass.

Smell is of sweet roasted chocolate malts and slight hops. Perhaps a slight roasted coffee smell when warmer.

The taste is what sets it apart from everything else. Sweet notes of chocolate, a hint of caramel, slight bitter hops on the back half of the pallet and all in all it's super smooth and refreshing.

Mouthfeel leaves a little to be desired, I wish it was a touch thicker, but as it stands, it's great and goes down well, without making you feel like you just drank a meal.

Overall a sweet, smooth, roasty porter that is a HUGE hit locally and in surrounding counties. It's all hand made in house from organic ingredients by the owner, Jeff. I actually have been coming here every weekend for 3 months now just to keep sipping on this stuff... it's always a little different and I love it!

Oh, and 10.5% ABV!

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

I hate to rate it so low but this should have never been served. I tried all 6 of their beers and 4 where from the same tap. They all smelled and tasted like stale vinegar! I can't believe this was served to dozens of people. Hire a brewmaster or stop brewing because this stuff sucks!

4.06/5  rDev +16.3%

I was shocked that I found 1) a Microbrewery in Lake Co and 2) a nice dark Ale in Lake Co.

A Solid, roasty porter that's a hair sweet. Nicely done.

2.75/5  rDev -21.2%

2.59/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pistolville Porter from Mount Dora Brewing