Blond | Brouwerij Hof Ten Dormaal

hoftendormaal.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by Mora2000 on 06-21-2010

4.97/5  rDev +24.9%

This is one of the most carbonated beers I have ever had, when I loosened the wire cage the cork shot out of the bottle with incredible force. Pours a golden/blond color with a massive head that slowly recedes, leaving heavy lacing on the glass.

Aroma is wonderful, citrus and earth leap out of the glass. There is peach, pear, lemon, spiciness, black pepper and much more. Honestly it's a bit too complex for me to describe, all I know is it's amazing. Smells like a saison through and through.

Taste follows the nose but adds a bit of husky/grain character. There is effervescent malt, yeast, lemons, pepper, pear, hints of grass and hop bitterness. This beer is everything a saison should be. The finish is incredibly dry, slightly tart and very refreshing. The alcohol hides very well, this beer is incredibly drinkable.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and highly cardonated.

Overall I am very impressed with this beer, it seems to be vying the place of my favorite beer, currently Saison Dupont. I have a feeling that I will be drinking this often, I still need to dissect the aromas and flavors more and really get to know this brew. I had to conscientiously slow myself while drinking this beer, it's so delicious.

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

4.45/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big grainy, spicy nose with pilsner malts, earthy hops, yeast character faint orange notes. It pours hazy peach with a long lasting big, ferocious, rocky white head that produces significant lace. This is a yeast driven beer opening with a blend of large pitted fruit and citrus – especially orange very lightly sweetened with light caramel. The sweetness dries out by the finish where a bitter hop accent pulls it all together. This beer is medium bodied and highly carbonated and spritzy – not quite creamy. The carbonation is almost harsh but in the end, it all works.

4.4/5  rDev +10.6%

Note: Be very careful opening, HIGHLY carbonated. The cork shot off as soon as the cage was slightly loosened.

Appearance -- Pours a light amber with MASSIVE tight white head.

Smell -- Bright citrus, coriander, clove and banana, earthy/funky yeast, earthy hops. Stunning.

Taste -- Follows the nose pretty well. Splash of bright citrus (orange peel?) and spice, peppercorn, clove and faint banana, earthy/funky yeast, earthy/herbaceous hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel -- medium to light in body with high carbonation. Just right.

Drinkability -- Picked this up based on a recommendation from a friend, and it exceeded my expectations. Rock solid farmhouse ale.

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

L: Looks amazing! Huge fluffy light tan head and a light copper hazy and color. Loses a few points for the ridiculous messy brown yeast sediment. Pour slowly and don't jostle the bottle. Solid carbonation. Foam stuck around nearly till the end.

S: Sweet fruitiness of pear and the vegetable garden. A bit of nutmeg spiciness. Graphite and steel.

T: Yum. Rich honey sweetened wheat bread dough. Fresh green chlorophyl crispness balances out the meaty grain with a light floral touch. The bittering contains a rush of spiciness of nutmeg, ginger, cloves. The mildly funk yeast lingers long after with a fruitiness of lemon and blood orange.

M: Nice and rich with an excellent creaminess. Tanginess at the end is light and let's the yeast and malt flavor linger.

O: This is just an amazing example of the style. There is tons of flavor. The big yeast flavor is both wild yet sophisticated and refined at the same time. Possibly one of my favorite belgian blondes.

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

Warning: I'm sure everyone else has written this before, but it bears repeating. This is a highly carbonated beer. The cork will fly out the second the cage is removed, so be prepared.

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a dirty orange color and a thick consistency. There was a huge, long-lasting, creamy/rocky head. OK lacing.

S: A blast of saison funkiness hits you the second you open the bottle. There are also traces of yeast, fruit and malt.

T: Tasted of light fruit, malt, Belgian yeast, and mild hops. A vibrant, nicely balanced flavor.

M: An almost absurd amount of carbonation with a super dry finish. Light-bodied.

D: An excellent, complex, drinkable saison.

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

My serving was a 375ml champagne bottle with artificial cork and wire cage. I should have known better, but as soon as loosened the cage a slight bit, the cork blew off with an explosive pop worthy of The first toast of New Years Eve!

Thea beer started to gush, but the glass caught it all, and thank the beer gods for that. My goblet quickly swelled with a huge whipped-cream head and the room filled with the aromas of aromatic hops and malt. As I have noted often, Saison is my favorite be to brew and to drink, and with this one bottle, The Hof ten Dormaal farmhouse brewery is the current reigning star of the style for me.

As the head slowly collapsed in a trail of patchy lace, the mostly clear, orange-amber brew beckoned with a huge aroma of malt and hops. Clearly, there are also fermentation products likes spicy phenolics here, but the dominant olfactory impression is that one is about to sup on a very fine, very huge pilsner!

Slurping up a mouthful does not change that impression except to outline it with zingy peppery-spice notes, an almost oily backbone of hop bitterness, and a palate-soothing wash if warm alcohol spirits.

I fault this beer only for being too alcoholic. I prefer Saison that allows me to suck down a second one without wondering who is driving home. This is supposed to sustain farmers working in the summer fields, remember?

The gravy here is the brewery's rightful boast that they grow the barley and e hops for this beer on their farm. They also grow rapeseed for oil to run the brewery. I award them extra brownie points for that, but they had me as soon as the cork popped!

4.32/5  rDev +8.5%

on tap at hopleaf in the end of august '10

this beer pours two fingers of head on a golden cloudy body. moderate cloudiness. nose is something like a blond and saison. good honey pollen with a farmhouse straw coin to the style. palate is a mild sweeter then most but still well place and rounded. straw and lemongrass bitter with a mild candy orange peel and licorice. peppery mild mineral finish that brings on hunger. great example. not unique but without flaw belgian saison. great.

4.32/5  rDev +8.5%

Be careful, as soon as the cage was loose it shot off like a bullet.

A-Pale yellow body, slightly cloudy, clean white head, very tall.

S-Herbal and earthy with some yeast and bread notes, a little lemon, maybe some tropical fruit as well. I also got a slight mineral quality, its very rustic.

T-Lemon peel, slight pepper, and some herbal hops. Moving back it develops a bigger bready malt profile and the spice really picks up, finishing the hops take over leaving a big earthy peppery bitter hit.

M-After the very exciting show with the cork and having the bottle almost overflow I was really surprised at how low the carb was. Slightly slick, I would like it to finish a little drier.

D-Very nice, I would even venture to say that its better than Dupont. I was really interested by how well they work in the high ABV, I did detect a little heat but it only helped to bring out the spice and citrus flavors.

4.31/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +8%

A: Poured a hazy orange color with huge carbonation leaving a nice white cap

S: :ight barnyard funk, lighter fruits

T: Tasted of lighter fruit, some funk and horseblanket, Belgian yeast, and mild floral hops. A light spice in it.

M: Light body but massive carbonation

O: An excellent saison

4.29/5  rDev +7.8%

Picked up a 375mL bottle of this beer at Tria in Downtown Philly. Poured into a tulip glass.

The carbonation is evident from the outset, as the cork produces a huge POP despite the bartender's best effort to keep it under control. The only thing that I have qualms with here is the carbonation. It is very very primed, even straight out of the cooler where it resided for days to allow the carbonation to move into the beer itself. It is a chore to pour this beer at the outset, but a little patience yields a truly inspiring view of a Belgian saison. Dirty straw colored hazy bodied, capped by the ample coarse head described above, this is what a saison should look like. Unfortunately, the only problem is the foamy mess that it is when I pour it for the first time.

The aroma is great. There is a funkiness brought on by the bittering hops homegrown on the Dormaal farm despite the lack of brett. There are also esters of apple, pear, and banana, coupled with an almost German weizen-like clove flavor. The flavor mirrors this, but it also adds a great earthy dryness to the finish. The apple and clove also really pull through here. Despite the high ABV, there isn't a trace in the flavor.

The feel is obviously highly carbonated, but as the beer sits, it suits the style well. Still light on the palate at 8%, this is a great saison brewed in the traditional manner, with homegrown malts and hops. I am definitely hoping that I start seeing this at more bars, as it is a great representation of this style.

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.27/5  rDev +7.3%

First off, be VERY careful when opening this bad boy. I've read reviews where others have experienced the same thing, but my cork took off like a goddamn high school space science project as soon as the cork was slightly untwisted. Scared the bejesus out of me.

A: I'm not so sure I'd call this a "Blond" to describe it's color as it's more on the murky off color orange side. From the bottom of my glass I can very clearly see a stream of extremely fast bubbles rising to the surface. The nucleation site on the bottom of my glass clearly is accentuating this. Head is huge! It's like my beer is swimming in a bubble bath. Definitely takes a few pours, and a few pauses to get this to a drinkable level.

S: Lovely. Some pear, green apples, mild earthy hops and a crisp light peppery aroma.

T&M: Right off the bat, this thing is highly carbonated which isn't surprising considering it's attempt at taking my eyes and possibly putting me into a mild coma during it's decorkage. Nevertheless this is very crisp and clean. Taste is wonderful. Lots of awesomely traditional Saison character. A little bit of bready and peppery yeast come through, some earthy bitterness mixed with some apple and pear flavors.

O: This is a wonderful unassuming little Saison. It would be even better if they could get the carbonation under control but definitely would seek this out and drink it again. My first offering from Hof Ten Dormaal and I'm very impressed.

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

Picked up a 375ml bottle at Abe's Cold Beer in Bethlehem for $4. I'd call it a good deal. Sure it was overcarbonated and the cork was halfway out, but once the hazy yellow beer settled down I had a heck of a beer on my hands.

It's full of sharp Belgian spicy phenol with the same coriander, fresh pepper corns, and orange peel that I tasted in the Dormaal Amber. There's also a big bitter Euro hops character of floral, herbal, and earthy citrus note.

Overall, this reminds me a bit of Saison Dupont, and might be just as good. Find this beer, you won't regret it.

Blond from Brouwerij Hof Ten Dormaal