Redband Stout | Great River Brewery

Great River Brewery
Iowa, United States
greatriverbrewery.com

Style: American Stout

Cold pressed Redband Coffee Company espresso beans infused into our milk stout. A big stout where a dark rich chocolate milk meets premium cold pressed coffee.

Added by Vdubb86 on 02-20-2011

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

This stuff has the looks of an imperial stout! Rich and thick solid black body that reminds one of used motor oil. The head is a cocoa color, massively thick and retains well. Plenty of lacing also.

A very robust roasted coffee scent fills the nose. There are even some cream notes in there. Some cola and chocolate notes as well.

Wow, this is very tasty. Lots of coffee flavor, but not an overpowering roasty/toasty taste. It's coffee, but it has a sweetness to balance it. The flavor is very long and pleasing. Much like and iced coffee with cream. From the reading on the can, that's what they intended and it sure worked.

Has a medium feel that is quite slick on the tongue. Finishes up dry and roasty. Nice carbonation feel also. It's lower and soft, just right.

This is just a fine, fine beer. Scores very well in all areas and is just a pleasure to drink. I would for sure put this in my top three for coffee focused beers. A must try!

4.62/5  rDev +13.5%

Pitch black brew with a finger's worth of peanut-colored head. Head maintains itself well and produces some lacing.

Just smells like fresh, smooth coffee. Not much else to say. Roasty and inviting.

Flavor is malty with toasted, wheat bread notes. Roasted almonds. Mild earthy hop flavor compliments the roasted character. Make way for the coffee! Rich, dark, smooth, flavorful coffee dominates the flavor from there on out and I am perfectly ok with that.

Surprisingly light mouthfeel. Low to average carbonation. Super smooth texture. Usually not a fan of lighter stouts but in this case it worked well.

Truly an exceptional coffee stout. Just leaves you feeling satisfied. You can't help but feel good when you are drinking one of these.

4.59/5  rDev +12.8%

I am grateful to whomever sent this to me (I think that it was GraniteSkunk, but I am unsure) in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM)! I mentioned in an earlier review today that coffee and grapefruit juice really give me a re-energizing jolt on hangover mornings and I started with a grapefruit juice-like IPA and now it is time for some java.

From the CAN: "Redband Stout"; Keepin' It Local"; "Keeping the 'C' in Craft Beer"; "Legendary Craft Brews Made in the Quad Cities"; "We love our local roaster's New Orleans Iced Coffee so much we decided to use their beans in our brew. Redband Stout is made with Indonesian and Ethiopian beans using our 18-hour cold brew extraction method, resulting in a satisfying brew with intense coffee aromatics. The marriage of two of our favorite beverages." Hear, hear!

Man, oh man, you CANnot be afraid of the dark if you are having this one! The Crack & Glug looked like high viscosity motor oil flowing from the CAN and into the glass. I was faced with three fingers of high-density, deep brown head with excellent retention. The nose was deeply roasty and very coffee-like, nutty, chocolaty, intensely bitter, just the way I like my morning coffee. Cue Moe of Sam's Saloon in Oxnard, CA - "Woody likes his coffee like he likes his women - hot, black and bitter." Ha! Hey, just because my bed had resembled the United Nations over the years does not mean you gotta be hatin' on me! Color was a deep, dense black that allowed so little light retention that I could only catch some ruby highlights at the edges. The back of my skull popped off with the first sip. Holy Iced Coffee, Batman! It was as intense as any coffee stout that I had ever tasted and it was kicking my ass into high gear. Dang, but this could easily be breakfast beer! Finish was dusty, like they may have saturated the beer with coffee, not to suggest that I had a problem, just sayin'. Okay, is my heart supposed to feel like it is going to jump out of my chest? Zounds!

Final thoughts: Redband is the name of their local coffee roasters, but just like for movie trailers, this Redband is for mature drinkers only. Whew!

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can as my breakfast beer at the Indy 500.

Coal black with a tan head. Not proper glassware so can't really comment on retention or lacing.

Aroma features strong coffee presence, other roasted malts and milk chocolate.

Rich bitter coffee dominates the flavor too. There is a certain underlying milk flavor, but coffee definitely takes center stage.

Mouthfeel is where the milk stout part of this shines. Thicker bodied with medium carbonation levels create a coffee smoothie feel.

I really enjoyed this beer as a completely off the radar treat. Warning though this one is not for coffee haters. It is definite the strong flavor which I personally enjoy especially at 9 am.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16 oz can into a willi glass

Pours pitch black with a drawn out cascade effect. Two inches of thick brown head. Stellar head retention. Many small bubbles interspersed within the fluffy head.

Smells of dark roasted coffee beans and sweet chocolaty malt. It resembles a chilled cappuccino. Bittersweet and deeply aromatic. One of the best coffee aromas I've ever smelled in a beer.

Roasted whole coffee beans followed by a more intense ground coffee surge. Fantastic milky sweetness balances out the bitter coffee. Sweet malt, chocolate and lactose sugar are perfectly layered in to create one of the more bold and flavorful coffee that I've had the privilege to drink.

Thick, full bodied mouthfeel that's just as creamy as an authentic Italian espresso. Moderate carbonation. The alcohol is hardly noticeable as this one goes down smooth and easy.

Redband is one of the top five coffee beers that I've had. It may even be on my all time greats list. Dark roasted coffee infused with a creamy sweet milk stout makes this beer bold, balanced and delicious. A must try for coffee beer lovers and worth seeking out whenever possible.

4.54/5  rDev +11.5%

A-Pours an evil,asphalt black body with 2 inches of slowly dying,light mocha foam that left wide,gooey strands of lacing on the glass.

S-Smells of strong espresso,scalded milk,burnt sugars,sweet chocolate ganache and charred malts.Very robust and fragrant.

T-High grade coffee upfront with flavors of creamy oats,sweetened milk,bittersweet chocolate and light ash.

M-Medium bodied,rich and oily with moderate sweetness and a mildly bitter/charred finish.

O-What a solid coffee stout and in a 16oz can to boot.

4.54/5  rDev +11.5%

Served in a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass

Thanks to GraniteSkunk for this growler.

This beer pours a nice black color with a tan foam on the surface. This beer smell of wonderful nice lovely espresso. God damn! This beer is coffee, I smell nothing but coffee. From the aroma I assume that there is coffee in my glass. The taste is highly coffee, but there is a nice roast with a dark chocolate backer to it. The taste is of a wonderful coffee flavor. There is enough sweetness to make me happy, and this is by far the best coffee stout that I have EVER HAD. I'm so happy that I've gotten to try this beer. This is so easy to drink. It's one of the better beers that I've had the good fortune to have tried.

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pour is thick and opaque, nearly black with no highlights. Two fingers of brown head that quickly fade to a thin but persistent film. Minimal lacing. The aroma packs a wollop, falling somewhere between a dark roasted coffee and an iced mocha.

Almost tastes more like coffee than beer. The dark malts are there, but the coffee definitely plays center stage in this one. If there are hops here, they're well hidden; the bitterness tastes like it's all coming from the astringency of the espresso. Medium to heavy in body, though perhaps just a tad lighter than expected. The moderate carbonation really helps the strong aromatics come out.

It's good to see such a good coffee stout coming out of a local brewery, and not have to rely on super limited releases like Kentucky or Bourbon County Breakfast Stout. If they start barrel aging this stuff, I'll buy it by the case. If there's a criticism, it's that this is a beer that probably doesn't need to come in a 16 oz. can.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

A - Pours out as a luscious dark brown with a moderate head

S - Smells of coffee and dark, rich chocolate

T - I almost thought I was drinking a delicious alcoholic coffee. Thats not a bad thing, though, because the taste is incredibly delicious. It doesn't taste artificial at all; it's a perfect combination of the coffee flavors with beer

M - The carbonation doesn't jump out which lets you enjoy the flavor and helps bring the coffee feeling to the forefront.

O - This is an excellent coffee stout that is something to savor. You won't be overwhelmed by the flavor because Great River has successfully utilized the coffee without ruining the fact that you are still drinking a beer. Enjoy this if you can get ahold of it.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Another beer from a great brewery that supported the Midwest Brewers Fest. Poured into my New Holland Pint glass. Pours a jet black with a deep mocha, rocky head of about two fingers. Head is very slow to drop with some nice lacing.

Aromas of dark roast coffee, dark roast malt, dark cocoa, chocolate milk. No hops to speak of.

Flavors of dark mocha latte, coffee, cocoa and dark roast malt. Finish is medium, with milk chocolate and dark roast coffee lingering.

Mouthfeel is creamy, medium bodied, nice level of carbonation.

Overall an outstanding coffee stout.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: Poured from the 16 oz can into a pint glass. The beer is thick looking, black in color (reminds me a bit of motor oil). My Pour produces a thick brown head that is nearly 2 inches in height. Head slowly fades to a solid cover on the beer that leaves a little lacing.

Smell: If IPA's can be described as a "hop-bomb", then this could be described as a "malt-bomb" or perhaps "coffee-bomb". The beer smells like the can says - stout with coffee added, it does not lie. Nice roasted malts, with an solid roasted coffee aroma that mixes well.

Taste: Straight in line with the scent, which a good beer should be. This is like a good cup of coffee, only its a beer. Wonderful roasted malt, with the previously mentioned roasted coffee bean. The tastes are not overpowering, but just right. The only bitterness comes from the roasted malt and a bit of bitter coffee taste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, no other way to put it. Thick, rich, yet goes down smooth. There appears to be minimal carbonation, yet the beer does not suffer.

Overall: A wonderful beer drinking experience. This is a well crafted stout. Purchased a 4-pack of pint cans for $6.49. Well worth the price. I'll purchase this again.

Redband Stout from Great River Brewery