Redband Stout | Great River Brewery

Great River Brewery
Iowa, United States
greatriverbrewery.com

Style: American Stout

Cold pressed Redband Coffee Company espresso beans infused into our milk stout. A big stout where a dark rich chocolate milk meets premium cold pressed coffee.

Added by Vdubb86 on 02-20-2011

1.75/5  rDev -57%

1.9/5  rDev -53.3%

16oz. can purchased about a month ago in SD was poured into a Duvel tulip. No date on the can.

A: Slightly vigorous pour results in a huge pillow of deep tan head, about 4 fingers worth. Head settles to a a thin covering, and leaves very nice lacing.

S: Smells of bitter baker's chocolate, slightly medicinal, chalky mustiness where I expected to find the roasted coffee. There is some cheap brewed coffee as it warms.

T: Yuck, this is horrible. Acrid, soured, stale coffee grounds. This is infected or something, it is sour and extremely off-putting. The horrible metallic flavor is the final dagger in this beer being poured down the drain.

M: Creamy and oily with heavy carbonation. I didn't want it to stay in my mouth very long.

O: Poured just beautiful, but tasted absolutely hideous. I really hope this was infected and not a standard example. There is no way it can have high reviews if this is how it is supposed to taste. What a letdown.

Seems to be infected. Dark fruit, slight tartness, thin, metallic. Plenty of coffee and lactose behind the off flavors. Pours with excessive head. Something decidedly off about it. Not the most brutally infected beer I've ever tried, but far from good.

2.78/5  rDev -31.7%

I love coffee stouts, and I love beer in cans. So I couldn't really pass this one up.

Pours black, quite a bit darker than any non-imperial stout I can recall, but still moderately thin. Massive head erupts almost out of the glass - had to slow, then stop, my pour. That pillowy mocha-colored head sticks around for a looong time, gradually developing craters and pockets visible from the side. Wow.

Smell is rather faint, but has a lovely smooth coffee aroma. Smells like cold press - all of the flavor, none of the bitterness or harshness that coffee sometimes gives. Strangely lacking the biggest thing I picked up in the flavor...

Taste is a serious disappointment. It tastes burnt. Like either the coffee or some of the grains were seriously over-roasted. This is not good. That charred flavor overwhelms everything else. I can pick out some coffee, and some faint chocoalte. But mostly I feel like I'm chewing on charcoal. I do not like it. This might be a drainpour.

Mouthfeel is decent - medium-bodied, as expected, with pretty high carbonation for a stout (especially when it first hits the tongue). Mid-length finish - just as I start to think it's going to carry on for a long time, it's gone.

Seriously, wtf is up with this beer? I've heard lots of people raving about it, but it just tastes bad to me. Like a burned coffee stout. Very unpleasant degree of char. I'll probably give it another shot on the chance this is a bad batch. But if it's like this, I won't be drinking any more of it.

2.91/5  rDev -28.5%

Tasted On: 03-27-2012
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 16 oz. can
Glassware: Nonic pint
Purchased: Received in a trade

A: Jet black and opaque, with a tan head 3 fingers high. Good head retention and a fair level of lace.

S: Coffee and dark breads, with also an unpleasant vinegar or vegetable element.

T: Dark roasted coffee, toasted malts, and bittersweet chocolate. Nicely balanced between bitter and sweet. Also get some of the vinegar flavor as in the nose.

M: Smooth and full-bodied; low to medium carbonation. Aftertastes are of dark breads, bitter chocolate, and also some of the off-tasting vegetable flavors noted in the aroma.

O: Some good qualities to the stout, but obviously something went wrong with the quality in this can when I compare my experience to other reviews.

Thanks to Duff27 for this one!

3.02/5  rDev -25.8%

The appearance was a hazy brown color with a one finger white to off white foamy head that dissipated within about a minute. There was some light speckled lacing here and there in a messy sort of way. The smell had some light crisp roasty coffee to some light sweet chocolate. The taste was mainly sweet and tried to hold a respectable roastiness but somehow through this flavoring it seemed like it just wasn’t balanced enough. On the palate, this one sat about a light to medium on the body with a fairly decent sessionability about it. The carbonation was somewhat subdued and gave off a clear crisp sweetness rolling over my tongue. Overall, kinda weird as a stout, maybe again if offered.

3.08/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured into a snifter.

4.0 A: Black color. Two and a half fingers of frothy/foamy tan head. Retention is very good for a coffee beer.

3.5 S: Rich roastiness in here. The coffee added must have a huge hand in this. Bittersweet chocolate and not overbearing amounts of coffee.

2.5 T: The strongest flavor in the taste is a tangy, somewhat acrid old coffee. It trumps the roastiness which is second. Hints of caramel and chocolate under that. It's not horrible, but I'm not a fan.

4.0 M: Heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Thick, viscous feeling without a lot of creaminess. Good here for a coffee beer.

3.0 D: The coffee really wasn't well integrated into this one. If it was, I think I would have enjoyed it a lot.

3.11/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Strong coffee aroma and flavor with a bit of roasted malt. Not much other than that, not much of a coffee fan but can appreciate this.

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

Appearance: Black, big brown head.

Smell: Lots of coffee.

Taste: Lots of coffee, to the point where this tastes more like straight black iced coffee instead of beer with coffee infused.

Mouthfeel: Light body, like coffee.

Picked this up while in the Quad Cities. I like coffee flavors in my beer, but not to the point where it seems like the coffee overwhelms everything. That line gets crossed with this beer, just too much coffee and not enough beer.

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

6% ABV confirmed. 16 fl oz aluminum can with appealing label art served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Acquired from the very generous Duff27 in a trade. "Stout with Coffee added." 36 IBUs. I don't see a bottled on date. Expectations are high; I enjoyed their Hop*A*Potamus and Duff27 recommended this as a coffee-forward stout.

Served chilled and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a gorgeous dark chocolatey tan head reminiscent of hot cocoa. Three finger height, with great cream and thickness, and very good (8+ minute) retention. Light lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Body colour is a solid nontransparent opaque black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Right on the money for a coffee stout, but the head colour is strange; it's dark but lacks the richness of the great coffee stouts I've seen. Hm. In any case, I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Chocolate, chocolate malt, light roast, and coffee. Little coffee roast; it definitely does seem cold-pressed. Rich coffee bean with a bit of bitterness. Light earthiness. No real cream. Chocolate isn't particularly evocative. The coffee isn't all that special either, at least compared to the great coffee stouts I've had before. Lightly burnt. Dark malts. A moderate strength aroma that isn't really selling me on the quality of the coffee. Quite assertive, but it lacks the rich creamy character of more appealing coffee stout aromas. Still, I'm looking forward to trying it. More coffee (and bitterness) comes through as it warms.

T: Hm. Metallic - its largest flaw. Coffee is definitely cold-pressed; it's got none of the roast, richness, or creaminess I want and a lot of the bitterness I hate about coffee. Little chocolate comes through at all. Boy, I'm not big on that bitterness on the climax; it destroys the balance. Caramel. Ugh, that bitterness just isn't balanced at all and adds nothing good in terms of flavour. No yeast or alcohol comes through. I'm not real big on this coffee stout, admittedly. To be honest, they do meet their goal of brewing a coffee stout reminiscent of iced coffee, but then I don't really like iced coffee. I appreciate what they're doing, but this one isn't really for me. I'm more a breakfast coffee stout kind of person. Lacks complexity and subtlety. It's not quite one note, but it's certainly simple.

Mf: Weak. Lightly undercarbonated. Smooth and wet. Lacks adequate body. Cream is sorely sorely missed here. Presence on the palate is decent. A missed opportunity.

Dr: Mainly will love this, and I wish I was one of them. But this just isn't what I want from a coffee stout; it lacks the subtlety and richness of something like Founder's Breakfast Stout or Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast/Brunch Weasel. The iced coffee emphasis really kills it for me, but that's probably just my personal tastes. If you want a bitter coffee stout redolent of iced coffee with little balance, this may be the beer for you. I'm glad to have tried it and will have little trouble finishing this pint, but I won't seek it out in the future. Thanks for the opportunity to try this, Duff27!

As it warmed, I came to like it more and more. But its main flaws still remained. Serve a hair below room temperature.

C+

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

16 oz. can poured into a British pint glass. Thanks to GraniteSkunk for this one.

Appearance - Pours black with a small mocha head. Not much retention and it only retains a bit of foam and a ring. No lacing.

Smell - Coffee. That's about it. If I struggle I can get some chocolate, but I might even be making that up.

Taste - A little better than the smell. Starts off dry and roasty that comes off very bitter. The coffee comes out and dominates the flavor. The finish is reminds me of oatmeal, but I can't find any indication of it on the label. Low bitterness and a little grainy.

Mouthfeel - Slick but not thick. The finish rests on the tongue leaving a malt flavor unlike the rest of the beer. Bitter, but only from the coffee. Medium carbonation and pretty thin.

Overall - It's a decent stout, but average in most respects. I can barely taste the stout behind the coffee, so it's tough to say it's good. Drinkable but not exciting in any way.

Redband Stout from Great River Brewery