Redband Stout | Great River Brewery

Redband StoutRedband Stout

Great River Brewery
Iowa, United States

Style: American Stout

Cold pressed Redband Coffee Company espresso beans infused into our milk stout. A big stout where a dark rich chocolate milk meets premium cold pressed coffee.

Added by Vdubb86 on 02-20-2011

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 103 | Ratings: 255
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Presentation: 16oz can; label is on a plastic wrapper around the can. At first, I thought, meh, kinda-cheap looking, but the more I thought of it, if cheaper packaging means lower-priced beer, I'm all in.

Appearance: Poured into my Riggwelter imperial pint glass. This is the darkest, blackest stout I've ever seen, outside of the imperial stout category. It looks practically viscous. Damn, a molasses-like 6% stout? I'm in. Capped by a dark tan head with good retention.

Smell: Tons of up front coffee aroma: rich, dark, creamy, and vibrant. Some earthy hop notes in the background as well, but this is ALL about coffee. Oh. And chocolate. Milk chocolate.

Taste: Rich coffee. One of the most coffee-forward coffee stouts I've ever had. In this way, it's similar to Schlafly Coffee Stout. What's different from Schlafly's offering, however, is that this one's brewed with lactose. Thus, although it's an espresso stout, it's got a rich, vibrant premium mocha flavor that's quite different from Schlafly's sharp (albeit pleasant) espresso kick. What we have here is a really nice blend of (lots of) coffee, milk chocolate, and a touch of cream. Bitterness is medium (36 IBUs, I believe). Let me be frank; this is one of the BEST coffee stouts I've ever had. I don't feel that I can give it a 5, however, as there's not a lot of malt/hop depth under the great coffee flavors.

Mouthfeel: Rich, creamy, and wonderful, esp. for 6% abv.

Overall: What an unexpected suprise from the Quad Cities...I may have to see if I can have my parents score me some more of this from back home!

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Served in a Half Acre shaker pint glass.

Thanks to VDubb86 for sharing this random growler!

Brewed with a local coffee. Right on. it pours a straight onyx topped by a finger of light tan foam. The nose comprises a beastly amount of coffee and a side dish of roasted malts. That is it. Straight up. The taste doesn't really bring anything new to the table, though it seems like the roasted malts have developed a sort of rudimentary collective backbone (though are still held in perpetual check by the coffee), and some light dark chocolate seems to have wormed its way in the door. The body is a hefty medium, with a light carbonation and a rather smooth feel. Overall, a nice coffee stout, though the coffee comes across to me as slightly o'erpowering. This isn't that bad a situation, but I'm not as big a coffee fan as others.

4.54/5  rDev +11.3%

Served in a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass

Thanks to GraniteSkunk for this growler.

This beer pours a nice black color with a tan foam on the surface. This beer smell of wonderful nice lovely espresso. God damn! This beer is coffee, I smell nothing but coffee. From the aroma I assume that there is coffee in my glass. The taste is highly coffee, but there is a nice roast with a dark chocolate backer to it. The taste is of a wonderful coffee flavor. There is enough sweetness to make me happy, and this is by far the best coffee stout that I have EVER HAD. I'm so happy that I've gotten to try this beer. This is so easy to drink. It's one of the better beers that I've had the good fortune to have tried.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last