Redband Stout | Great River Brewery

Great River Brewery
Iowa, United States
greatriverbrewery.com

Style: American Stout

Cold pressed Redband Coffee Company espresso beans infused into our milk stout. A big stout where a dark rich chocolate milk meets premium cold pressed coffee.

Added by Vdubb86 on 02-20-2011

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Brought a can back from Iowa. Can says 6% so I expected something relatively light. I was surprised at how black it poured, with a nice, thick, dark tan head.

Coffee smell is noticeable up front, blending nicely with the beer scents.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly viscous (rich and full) for a six-percenter. Long coffee finish has a hint of smoke. If you like coffee stouts, this one's very good. I think I like the thick stout foretaste better than the smoky/bitter aftertaste, but this one's surprisingly good.

Well done.

Might buy this one again, although I don't always like coffee stouts.

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

6% ABV confirmed. 16 fl oz aluminum can with appealing label art served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Acquired from the very generous Duff27 in a trade. "Stout with Coffee added." 36 IBUs. I don't see a bottled on date. Expectations are high; I enjoyed their Hop*A*Potamus and Duff27 recommended this as a coffee-forward stout.

Served chilled and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a gorgeous dark chocolatey tan head reminiscent of hot cocoa. Three finger height, with great cream and thickness, and very good (8+ minute) retention. Light lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Body colour is a solid nontransparent opaque black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Right on the money for a coffee stout, but the head colour is strange; it's dark but lacks the richness of the great coffee stouts I've seen. Hm. In any case, I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Chocolate, chocolate malt, light roast, and coffee. Little coffee roast; it definitely does seem cold-pressed. Rich coffee bean with a bit of bitterness. Light earthiness. No real cream. Chocolate isn't particularly evocative. The coffee isn't all that special either, at least compared to the great coffee stouts I've had before. Lightly burnt. Dark malts. A moderate strength aroma that isn't really selling me on the quality of the coffee. Quite assertive, but it lacks the rich creamy character of more appealing coffee stout aromas. Still, I'm looking forward to trying it. More coffee (and bitterness) comes through as it warms.

T: Hm. Metallic - its largest flaw. Coffee is definitely cold-pressed; it's got none of the roast, richness, or creaminess I want and a lot of the bitterness I hate about coffee. Little chocolate comes through at all. Boy, I'm not big on that bitterness on the climax; it destroys the balance. Caramel. Ugh, that bitterness just isn't balanced at all and adds nothing good in terms of flavour. No yeast or alcohol comes through. I'm not real big on this coffee stout, admittedly. To be honest, they do meet their goal of brewing a coffee stout reminiscent of iced coffee, but then I don't really like iced coffee. I appreciate what they're doing, but this one isn't really for me. I'm more a breakfast coffee stout kind of person. Lacks complexity and subtlety. It's not quite one note, but it's certainly simple.

Mf: Weak. Lightly undercarbonated. Smooth and wet. Lacks adequate body. Cream is sorely sorely missed here. Presence on the palate is decent. A missed opportunity.

Dr: Mainly will love this, and I wish I was one of them. But this just isn't what I want from a coffee stout; it lacks the subtlety and richness of something like Founder's Breakfast Stout or Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast/Brunch Weasel. The iced coffee emphasis really kills it for me, but that's probably just my personal tastes. If you want a bitter coffee stout redolent of iced coffee with little balance, this may be the beer for you. I'm glad to have tried it and will have little trouble finishing this pint, but I won't seek it out in the future. Thanks for the opportunity to try this, Duff27!

As it warmed, I came to like it more and more. But its main flaws still remained. Serve a hair below room temperature.

C+

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

3.5/5  rDev -14%

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

3.61/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Robbie for this can. Poured in to tulip.

A - Poured dark black with one finger of cocoa brown head.

S - Big bitter coffee aroma up front with roast and sweet molasses notes.

T - Lots of roast and dark roasted coffee. Fairly big sweetness with hints of molasses and chocolate. The finish is dry and bitter.

M - Medium body. Creamy. Light carbonation.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

1.75/5  rDev -57%

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

16 oz. can, picked up at John's in Iowa City in late August - a beer purchase I'd have likely skipped, if not for BA at the fingertips! Poured to a pint glass.

Around the rim of the can: 'Redband Stout --- Keepin' It Local --- Keepin' the "C" in Craft Beer'

"We love our local roaster's New Orleans Iced Coffee so much we decided to use their beans in our brew. Redband Stout is made with Indonesian and Ethiopian beans using our 18-hour cold brew extraction method"

A: Very, very dark - 'black' essentially. Head is a leathery tan, creamy and a little fluffy - it doesn't hold very long, withdrawing to a crescent ring and dimpled skim. freckles and flecks of lace and a little froth.

S: Oh, wow - SO MUCH COFFEE! Beany roast, quite pungent. Cocoa, vanilla and dark chocolate are sweeter, there's even a slight lemony/citrus squeeze. It's a potent and pleasant aroma... I could sniff this all afternoon!

T: Rich coffee roast and dark, slightly smoky malt offer plenty of dark chocolate bittering and a creeping sweetness. The dark roasted beans avoid a 'burnt' flavor, and a nice vanilla/caramel sugariness lend balance. Long-lasting dry roast finish, a little mineral-ly/sooty and oxidized.

M: Hmmmm--- for all the terrific aromas and flavors, the body here is lacking, it's low on carbonation. The flatness translates to an underwhelming feel. On the plus side, coffee roast is 'perfect' and the bitter/sweet balance is among the best I've had from this style. I searched, to no avail, for a freshness date on the can - thinking maybe the beer is old (purchase date was approximately 6 weeks ago - it has been refrigerated almost ever since).

O: Very enjoyable stout, lots of coffee and chocolate. I wish the mouthfeel had been a little sturdier, but it's overall very easy to drink and has flavors that should entice any lover of coffee and beer. Very happy to have chosen this one and wish I'd have brought back a couple more.

4.41/5  rDev +8.4%

#BOTG 160! Getting really really close. Poured from can into Brooklyn tulip. This one looks like a big imperial stout! Really nice thick, dark, tar like pour, with about a half finger of dark tan head. Zero light gets through. Awesome looking stout. Smell- roasty Java, sweet milk chocolate. Taste- up front coffee blast, as expected. Its super roasty espresso beans, followed by some molasses and milk chocolate sweetness. This is an unexpected great coffee beer, I have never heard of it, but would place it near the top in its class.

Redband Stout from Great River Brewery