RPM IPA | Boneyard Beer Company

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 122 | Ratings: 930
Reviews by John_M:
4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at the Horse Brass last night.

The beer pours a copper orange color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is attractive, showcasing some light tropical fruit and considerable dry citrus. While the nose is attractive, I was surprised by how good this beer was on the palate. The flavor profile replicates the nose, but the sweet, malty, tropical fruit is not over done, and there's a hint of ginger and sandlewood as well that I liked. However, this IPA is West Coat all the way otherwise, as the beer has an impressively dry, bitter finish. Mouthfeel is very light, which in this beer I think only enhances its drinkability.

This was a beer that I enjoyed more and more as I went along, and I was surprised by how well the flavor profile held its own after my first glass of blue dot. Am not familiar with this brewery, but based on this selection, I would be interested in seeing what else they make. Impressive.

Edit from 7/22/12. Don't do this very often, but after having this beer recently at the horsebrass again, I've upped my score for this beer. This IPA is so, so well balanced and drinkable, yet still delivers plenty of hoppy/bitter goodness for the hophead. Just delicious... I noticed that it's now made the cut for the regular line-up at the Brass, which I guess says something about its popularity. Just an all around, excellent, easy to enjoy IPA. This is a beer I always look for when back out in the NW, and I've discovered that it has something of an addictive quality. Whenever I see it, practically no matter what else is on tap, it's a beer I immediately order. Delicious stuff...

4.39/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served in a pint glass at Stuft Crust, Milpitas

A: Lighter golden color, half a finger of fluffy white head. Slightly hazy.
S: Mango, peaches, oranges with some malty sweetness hits the nose right upfront. Background has some herbal, piney and citrus notes. Lemongrass and caramel more muted but present.
T: Sweet malts mixed with mango, peaches and citrus. Very sweet upfront. Very little bitterness, just enough to offset the sweet malts. Citrus, lemon, pine and caramel flavors in the middle mouth and finish. Sweet fruity aftertaste, but not too sweet.
M: Medium body, finishes clean and dry. Carbonation cleanses the palate.
O: If you like more tropical fruity IPAs that are sweet but not too sweet, this is for you. Great hoppy flavors without a ton of bittering. Beautifully done tropical IPA. If this was from the East Coast people on BA would be raving about it.

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

A-medium amber color with a ice white head and good lacing

S-citrus, orange, pine, bread dough, light floral

T-grapefruit, orange, pine, bready malt, light floral, little caramel, moderate bitter finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp

O- easy drinking and flavorful IPA, would definitely seek this out

Thank the Jesuses I live in Bend!

4.48/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm not sure I've ever drank 20oz of beer so quickly in my life. Served at Von's Gustobistro in Seattle. Wanted to visit the brewery when I was in Bend, but they weren't open at the time. Seeing this on the menu, I knew I had to try it.

Wish I took notes. All I can really remember is that, other than being insanely drinkable and excellently balanced, it has pine hops, juicy hops, malt sweetness, and is really mouth watering. Clean finish. Thirst quenching, easy drinking ... I'm not a prayin' man, but I'm hoping I get to have this beer again some day. Honestly, it's near the top of my list for IPAs. In a word, BRILLIANT.

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%

growler filled from boneyard.

dark copper color, great head. huge dank aroma. taste of in your face goodness that assaults your palate with hoppy goodness but is also extremely smooth and drinkable. crushable, actually. I'm in awe of how good this is. its possibly the best IPA I've ever had. great job boneyard!

4.21/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

a classic northwest style ipa here, with lots of cascade and centennial characteristics. while i cant confirm that those are the varietals used, i can say with certainty that attributes of those strains on on display here no doubt. the color is a little richer than many, brassy, with a long lasting lacy white head. aromas of pine forest, lush evergreen, christmas, vegetal, pulpy. there is a decent grain base to this too, with come caramel malt that while it doesnt contribute a ton to the flavor, its absence would leave this hopelessly unbalanced. its got some girth to the mouthfeel, which is nice with the wintery hop mix. the hops are unique here not for what they taste like, but for how robust they are. truly as strong on the front end as they are in the finish, i cant think of a lot of ipas that do that, and none do it so vividly and pungently as this beast. i like that its bigger too, a hop heads dream really, super fresh and aggressive, dank and sprucy. not overly complicated either which i like, just big well built ipa. if this was available here i would buy it all the time. its my kind of ipa.

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Clear orange gold with two fingers of white head and good amount of lace.
Smell is tropical fruits mango orange a touch of lemon. Malts are bread crust and provide a good amount of support for the tasty hops.
Mouthfeel is medium with a good amount of carbonation. The finish is lightly bitter and semi dry.
Overall a very nice IPA that I hope you all get to try sometime.

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Top notch! Had in the Beaver State!

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.65/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

4.75/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.65/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

mid to high hoppy sweet aroma, mid carbonation, sweet but more bitter, yum, balanced sweet bitter linger.

Shared a taster on-tap as past of a flight at the brewery; Boneyard Beer Company, Bend, USA. As part of a six-week West Coast beer tour. I rate to taste, not to style. See my blog for more details: carbeers.wordpress.com

RPM IPA from Boneyard Beer Company