Bonehead | Boneyard Beer Company

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Boneyard Beer Company
Oregon, United States | website

Style: Belgian IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by ccrida on 10-27-2012

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 4
4.12/5  rDev +2%

On tap at the Parkway Tavern the other day (it was just listed as a Belgian Pale IPA from Boneyard).

The beer pours a golden amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is very attractive in this one, as I get considerable clove, banana, pine, dry citrus and even a hint of dank week. The beer doesn't smell as if it will be all that sweet, something I confirmed with my first sip. Otherwise, there's some initialy sweetness initially, but the beer dries out quickly on the finish (good bitterness on the finish). The beer is a bit on the lean side in terms of mouthfeel (I'm guessing the abv. is not all that high in this one), but the beer nevertheless delivers plenty of flavor, with some good underlying spice. The finish is long and is pretty bitter (as you'd sort of expect with any IPA from Boneyard). Alcohol is well integrated into the flavor profile, and drinkability is pretty good.

A nice beer from Boneyard, but I don't really think Belgian style beers are their forte. Any place that had this, the RPM and Hop Venom on tap, there's no doubt this beer would be my last choice (even if I was in the mood for something "belgian").

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Growler from Main Brew, supposedly a small batch and the first (only?) keg in Portland. Poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, Bonehead is burnt gold with a white head leaving heavy lace, detailed rings.

Smell is very earthy, herbal, continental hops, a little yeasty.

Taste is also heavy on the hops, dusty, earthy herbs. Yeasty too, really much like the nose, the yeast is not estery, but literally like trub. The malt is bready, but modest. Clean, well made, just very one note with the hops. So much like a Belgian IPA, I've entered it as such. Reminds me of Hommel, although I haven't had it on fresh draught in years.

Mouthfeel is dry, light bodied.

Drinkability is pretty high, it really showcases the European hops (Styrian Goldings?), and it's clean and digestible. Not what I'd call delicious though, I would necessarily seek it out, but am glad I got to try it.

Bonehead from Boneyard Beer Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.