1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Outlaw Milk Stout | Great Basin Brewing Co.

Outlaw Milk StoutOutlaw Milk Stout
3.85/5
Very Good
Outlaw Milk StoutOutlaw Milk Stout

Great Basin Brewing Co.
Nevada, United States
greatbasinbrewingco.com

Style: English Sweet / Milk Stout

Outlaws and gentle folk alike are captivated by this dark beer. It marries the deep coffee-like flavors of roasted barley with a silky texture contributed by rolled oats. 2008 World Beer Cup Silver Medal Winner and 2011 Bronze Medal Great American Beer Festival, sweet stout.

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

So I was at BevMo and saw this beer. It caught my attention because it was a sweet stout.

I had also seen “oats” in the ingredients.

Hmmm...lactose AND oats?

That’s a mix I have not personally tried before.

On top of that, I saw that it had won 5 different awards.

Okay...I’m sold...I’m trying it.

So I purchase a 6-pack of 12oz bottles. It had an ABV of 5.2%.

I like my stouts a bit cooler than room temperature. I like the head, and being able to smell all the wonderful flavors.

This beer had almost no head. I poured kind of aggressively, and it gave me about a 1/2” inch of head, which dissipated quickly.

No chance to dwell of the scents I love from stouts.

It also left no lace whatsoever.

Bummer.

As for the smell, I could swear I smelled coffee. But it had to have been the roasted and caramel malts.

The caramel malts gave it a nice, sweet, scent.

The color was dark. Very dark. I placed a flashlight behind the glass, and no light shone through. But there was an amber hue along the edges.

I liked that it was pitch black. That’s how I like my stout colors.

As for the texture. Well, it was thinner than I expected. I was hoping for thickness, based on the dark color, and the oats.

But it was not to be.

It never quite achieved the “full body” of a pure oat stout.

The lactose made it silky...but still not a “full body”.

As a matter of fact, I am finding that I (PERSONALLY) am getting away from using lactose in my stouts for body and sweetness.

I can smell the lactose in stouts, which is kind of turning me OFF lately.

The lactose and oat mix did not really work for me.

Either give me the silky sweetness of lactose. Or give me the unique full body experience that only a pure oat stout can give.

Splitting the two evenly?

Gnahhhhh.

But it was an okay stout. I would not turn one down. And I would even go as far as saying I liked it.

But there was something strange. Something that didn’t quite go together perfectly.

Pretty sure I’ll skip it next time for something else.

These are my opinions, and maybe it’s the cats-meow for someone else.

So take my opinions to heart.

Heck...it won a few awards. So they must know something...right?

4.23/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.59/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.19/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was the second of two bottled beers from Nevada that I picked up while stranded in Wendover last month and like the other, this was bought with only the reviews from this site as a guide. I love offerings like this as they are dark, soothing, and light enough in the booze department as to not be the end-all and be-all during a drinking session. This absolutely fit that bill as it was dark and complex enough to enjoy without throwing me for a loop. What else could one ask for in a Stout such as this?

Very nice pour to this as the liquid was a cola brown with just a hint of light seeping in around the edges. Lovely tan head topped this off as the accompanying lacing was truly, truly amazing to behold. One full and soapy ring slid down into the next as at least half of my pint glass was covered in the suds during my time with this brew. Lots of coffee, chocolate, toffee, and roasted malt in the alluring but understated nose as the flavors came out much more in the taste. Coffee bean, dark fruit, cocoa powder, and milk chocolate came through in the taste as the wide range of flavors complemented the sweet, creamy mouthfeel of the liquid. The consistency of this beer was as thin as fresh-roasted coffee but what made this amazing was the full range of flavors that emerged as this warmed up; proving that this was no ordinary joe.

The light amount of alcohol was perfect as it allowed the complex nuances of this brew to full emerge and play with the other notes that were present. Mild cherry tartness, dark bread, and vanilla bean could all be found here if one swished the liquid around and savored it for a while. This was fabulous and one of the better "lighter" Stouts that I've had in some time, though it could hold its own with more well-known heavyweights. So glad I picked this up while I was away on the road!

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: dark brown in color with a 1/4" head.

Smell: mild chocolate and coffee tones are detectable.

Taste: roasted malts, soft chocolate, hints of coffee, a hint of vanilla, and a mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Creamy smooth from start to finish.

Overall: a decent milk stout that had a weaker than expected flavor component.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

3.91/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This one is a literal award winner. It won Silver in the Sweet Stout category at the World Beer Cup in 2014, 2012, and 2008. It also won Bronze for a Sweet Stout At the Great American Beer Festival in 2014 and 2011. It has also been brewed and labeled as Outlaw Oatmeal Stout in the past; so to clarify, these two descriptions on BA are for THE SAME BEER.

Look- Quite appealing. The brew is a near-black brown and opaque. At the very edges, you can see just a little bit of ruby when the glass is held to the light. There is a thin,dark tan head that stays on the top of the brew until the end. There is a somewhat syrupy residue that settles after each sip. I wouldn't go so far as to call it lacing; suds spots would be more accurate.

Smell- Very pleasant , featuring slightly fruity chocolate. You can definitely detect a coffee aroma and maybe a whiff of toffee.

Taste- Bitter fruit and coffee are most discernible. The chocolate is barely detectable. Overall, I would qualify the taste as bitter with a slight sourness. The bitterness stays on on your tongue for awhile after your first sip. Regarding potency of flavor, I would rate it medium.

Feel- There is quite a bit of carbonation which , in tandem with with bitterness, leaves a mild bite on the tongue. There is a mild astringency that lends to the feel being one of this beer's highlights.

Overall, I like this , but prefer to pair it rather than drink it by itself. The brewery features a Wisconsin Beer Cheese Soup that goes amazingly with this Stout, and the overall combination may be my favorite beer/food pairing to date. If you buy a six-pack of long necks, one of the bottles will have a loop of baling twine wrapped around it and a tag enumerating the beer's accomplishments. It is a simple attention-getter that only adds to the character of this great brew. I live two hours away from this brewery, and Outlaw is extremely popular in my community. If you are visiting Northern Nevada, this is a must-try.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.71/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from TAG Bar Las Vegas for around $7usd

3.79/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.09/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On tap poured into a pint glass at the brewery
L: super dark drown with a 1/2 inch light tan head.
S: Chocolate and coffee with roasted malt and barley
T: coffee and chocalate with no aftertaste. Maybe some vanilla on the finish.
F: little thin for a milk stout IMO but smooth and easy to drink.
O: very solid milk stout. Would order again.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a pint glass. A dark brown opaque beer with a one finger head. The head is creamy and foamy with poor retention. The head did not leave anything on the glass.
Dark roasted malt with coffee, bittersweet chocolate, a brown sugar sweetness, some earthy notes and hint of floral.
Dark roasted malts, caramel, toffee, medium roasted coffee, chocolate, molasses, vanilla, low fruity esters, cereal grains, touch of sweetness, creamy, and subtle hop note.
A medium plus body, low carbonation, creamy, and medium plus finish.
A very solid milk stout, surprised it is flying low under the radar. Great flavors and well made.

3.85/5  rDev 0%

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.11/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.87/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Pizza Rock, Las Vegas, Nevada on 08/04/16.

Coffee, cocoa, roasted malt and subtle vague sweetness.

3.96/5  rDev +2.9%

3.77/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Outlaw Milk Stout from Great Basin Brewing Co.