Bourbon Barrel Russian Imperial Stout | Great Basin Brewing Co.

Awaiting More Ratings

Great Basin Brewing Co.
Nevada, United States
greatbasinbrewingco.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Our Russian Imperial Stout put into bourbon barrels and then aged at our warehouse for eight months. The result is cocoa, coffee, vanilla, oak, milk chocolate, and bourbon melding together in one unforgettable glass.

Added by OStrungT on 03-11-2010

Reviews by Beerandraiderfan:
4.16/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Black pour, 1/4" tan head on the top of it. Oily. Doesn't leave lace.

Aroma was very nice whiskey, I forget the type they said they used, it was something with the word 'cock' in it as I recall. It does the trick as it kicks down oak and vanilla along with the whiskey notes.

Taste is even better, thick luxurious variety of malts used, just the right amount of barrel atenuation. Low carbonation allows the beer to have an even thicker and more choclatey mouthfeel and creaminess. Relatively easy to drink given the high abv. Smoov B all up in this one. In many ways it is quintessential bourbon stout: bourbon, oak, vanilla, chocolate. Lacks the sometimes bitterness and dark fruit aspects that lesser RIS beers have. This one was nice in what it didn't have.

Drank during Stout Week. Had it on my way into town for March Madness 2013. Sucks that David Hurley from the El Dorado sports bar ruined our bottle share that week. The rest of the El Dorado is cool. Renege on a previously approved bottle share the third day? Uncool.

Good stuff, easily one of the best beers made in Nevada.

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

This beer pours an inky black color, with a thin brown head. The head fades slowly, leaving a pretty good lace.

This beer has a nice bourbon aroma. I can detect some vanilla, with some oaky aroma as well. I can smell some figs. A sweet caramel aroma is also present. A slight chocolate note is also present. Alcohol is slightly present in the aroma.

This beer pretty much tastes like it smells. Bourbon flavor is less than the aroma led me to believe.

This beer is very thick and full bodied. It leaves a vanilla like aftertaste. Carbonation is low, suiting the style. The alcohol warms the throat on the way down.

This beer wouldnt make the best session beer. The 13% ABV is hard to handle after too many. The flavor is also quite aggressive.

Overall: This beer was pretty good, and probably the best beer I have ever found in Nevada. It is worth trying if you can find it.

4.11/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

More of a black pour than most GB stouts. Almost no head on it, no lacing or whatnot to be retained.

Aroma was plenty of bourbon, possibly a wet ass barrel.

Taste solid, thick mouthfeel. For a small barrel project, they are above average. Carbonation low enough for it to take on smooth/creamy adjectives.

When you talk about the best beers in Nevada, this is up there.

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%

I live just a few minutes from this brewery and have found a few beers from them that I have been impressed by. I saw that this Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout was on the board, so obviously it was the first one I got. I was pretty impressed.

The appearance on this one is black, with a tan film over the entire glass. Poured into a little ten ounce snifter, I had no control over the size of the head. It did have some thick legs and a great body.

The smell is of vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, dark fruit, sugar, brewers licorice, earth. This one was pretty good smelling.

The taste was really well balanced on terms of barrel and base beer. Good bourbon with chocolate, earthy, dark fruit malts. Some vanilla and a slight hint of cherry. Delicious. I am always amazed with myself when it comes to the amount of barrel presence that I like in a beer. I like some beers with good balance and some beers that are overly barrel hot. I think it just matters what type of barrel it is and what the base beer was. This has a solid base beer with a good barrel presence, thus being a good balanced barrel beer.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, and the drinkability is good as well. It is a big beer, and because of me having to drive, I was limited to only one. I might go all out and try and get a growler. Really surprised how enjoyable this one was, especially for a local brewery that is just earning my respect with every beer I have from them.
J

Bourbon Barrel Russian Imperial Stout from Great Basin Brewing Co.