Hoptologist DIPA | Knee Deep Brewing Company

Hoptologist DIPAHoptologist DIPA

Knee Deep Brewing Company
kneedeepbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

An American Double India Pale Ale that packs a punch when it comes to hops. The aroma and flavors will give you citrus and pine with a slight malt sweetness that finishes dry.

Added by kevanb on 12-03-2011

Ratings: 1,036 |  Reviews: 184

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

Had this in 22's a few times. This time was some unknown amount into an unknown size tulip at Eureka! in San Diego. The color was such a lovely orangy-amber that was really playing well in the sunset. The aroma was a promise of piney with some tropical back. Flavor delivered on the promise made by the aroma. Nice sticky finish to hold the flavor. This goes into my DIPA pantheon and will be a regular purchase. Great stuff.

Admittedly, I seem to like a lot of Knee Deep's offerings.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

4.76/5  rDev +23%

3.27/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Knee Deep Brewing Company's Hoptologist DIPA last week for $8.99 at The Lager Mill. I have never tried any beers from this brewery and I didn't even know they were available in Michigan till i saw a bottle of this sitting on the shelf. I'm interested in giving this brewery a try, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 6/25/14. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it goes well wit the name, I like the design and I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a very dark orange color that didn't really let any light come through and it had a little over two fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left sticky and patchy lacing behind. This beer didn't look that great, the head was nice, but the color was didn't look good.

S- The aroma starts off with a pretty high amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a nice fruity aroma with some tropical fruits and citrus rind like aromas sticking out the most and when combined with the sweetness they have a candied fruit like aroma with some piney and pretty light green onion hops showing up in the background, Up next comes a caramel malt aroma with some sweet malts also showing up and there's some doughy yeast coming through in the background. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, I like the candied fruit aspect, but it would be a little better without the green onion.

T= The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but a little lighter and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart the exact same aspect that it did in the aroma, but this time the candied fruit is a little lighter and the green onion is a little stronger. Up next comes a light alcohol flavor that's just barely warming and it's followed by the malts that impart the same aspects that it did in the aroma with the caramel malt flavors sticking out the most and there's still some doughy yeast coming through in the background. On the finish it had medium amount of bitterness with a hoppy aftertaste.. This was a decent tasting beer, but i wish it had more of that candied fruit aspect that it had in the aroma with out the stronger green onion aspect.

M- Smooth, not overly bitter, not too crisp, a little watery, medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. This beer had an Ok mouthfeel, but it seemed a little flat and watery to me.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I thought it was an average example of the style, it had some nice aspects to it, but it also had more than a few off aspects that really held this beer back in the end. This beer didn't have great drinkability, it was smooth, not overly bitter, not too crisp, a little watery, not filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, one glass is a little more than enough for me since the flavor doesn't really keep me coming back for more and neither does the mouthfeel. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it was by far the best aspect of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, green onion aspect and mouthfeel, they weren't that good and they held this beer back. I would buy this beer again if I knew it was fresh, but I'm for sure not getting another bottle from this batch and as it stands now I can't say I would recommend it. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, it seemed to be very average for a west coast style DIPA and it had too many off aspect. So far this didn't make a good first impression for this brewery, but I'm more than willing to give them another chance, I don't understand how a beer that just hit the shelfs was bottled back in June, I didn't even look at the bottling date since I assumed it was fresh since it just showed up, but it wasn't. I appreciate you guys sending your beers out here and I'll have to give this beer another chance and re review if I can find it fresh.

3.28/5  rDev -15.2%

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

(Within ~1 month of bottle date) Poured into tulip glass, initially about 1/2" head that reduced to 1/4" with some soapy lacing. Color is a hazy, deep orange/red. Smells- dank hops and resin, grapefruit, pineapple. Taste- bready malts, resinous hops, some tropical fruit and alcohol warmth in the finish. Overall a decent DIPA, although it didn't bowl me over.

3.83/5  rDev -1%

Cloudy orange in color with a short head. Nice lace develops during the session. Aroma is typical citrus and hop centric. Caramel, pine, grapefruits, mango, mild alcohol, and some floral and earthy hop bitterness round out the flavor profile. Crisp throughout. Dry finish. A slower sipping beer but nicely refreshing.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

A delicious ,bitter-smooth, hit-the-spot, relaxing brew. The aroma of hops emanates from its bottle's nozzle, and its taste is inviting and pleasant. After its over, the taste lingers on the tastes buds with a good after taste. It is a beer to remember and to try again.

3.76/5  rDev -2.8%