Hoptologist DIPA | Knee Deep Brewing Company

Hoptologist DIPAHoptologist DIPA

Knee Deep Brewing Company
kneedeepbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

An American Double India Pale Ale that packs a punch when it comes to hops. The aroma and flavors will give you citrus and pine with a slight malt sweetness that finishes dry.

Added by kevanb on 12-03-2011

Ratings: 1,051 |  Reviews: 190
4.04/5  rDev +4.4%

4.68/5  rDev +20.9%

4.56/5  rDev +17.8%

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

A: medium gold body; clear; full head o' hair - er, foam - left plenty of lace down the glass; cap persisted

S: tones of hop action - full of those pine resin aromas; a supportive smell of fresh, clean malt

T: pine and hop barrage right up front - lots of dank and herbal notes - a hophead's delight - some alcohol slips through, but the astringence adds a crispness that I liked

M: for a DIPA, leans toward the lean - feels crisp and tight throughout the drink, slight tingle, moderate carbonation, reasonably smooth and slick

O: this is nonetheless, a rugged DIPA - it does have a light/tight feel, and the aggressive hoppiness contributes - but it doesn't approach that barleywine end of the spectrum. I really dig DIPAs, and don't mind some alcoholic astringence, but I'm not partial to a "booziness" (in a DIPA (unless it's bourbon barrel aged or something) lol), and this was a very satisfying ale. It wasn't sloppy for even a second, felt like I could drink more than I should. Check it out.

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

Got a bomber- pours a clear golden amber color with a half finger of head, good retention and lacing.

Smells thick and resiny. Not my favorite but fine.

Tastes very nice- nice sweet backbone but a lot of earthy resiny hops. A little grapefruit also and not too much bitterness but a nice dry finish.

Medium bodied with light carbonation- I like this one but it's not great.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

From a bomber in a tall glass. Had a strong malt taste and I liked the sweetness, not my favorite but better than most. Worth a sip

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

Definitely disguises the 9% - has the nice feel and hopiness of a traditional IPA but without the excessive bitterness. Big fan

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

Really nice beer. Surprisingly I like this one better than Simtra, their triple IPA. Damn good stuff.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Is it crazy if I start right off by saying this was one of the best DIPAs I've ever had?

On tap at Cesars on Piedmont in central Oakland

Bright, huge hoppiness, but that's a given. We're in CA, after all. This beer has what I will call a wonderful individual take on "west coast balance". Because "balance", in other parts of the country, is code for "hops under control". Here, we have a beer that hasn't turned down the hops, but has turned up the malty, caramel base to even out the palate, in a way that - for me - works almost to perfection.

If you're a midwest guy who thinks the west coast thing is "overrated" (that's a great beer, too), then you might not be as impressed. But if you like your IPAs big and loud - and sweet - then this might be the beer for you.

3.92/5  rDev +1.3%