Simtra Triple IPA | Knee Deep Brewing Company

Simtra Triple IPASimtra Triple IPA

Knee Deep Brewing Company
kneedeepbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Simtra Triple IPA delivers a punch in the face with its very danky hop aroma derived from Simcoe and Citra hops. You wanted more hops you got them.

Added by baggio on 02-12-2012

Ratings: 2,216 |  Reviews: 365

1.46/5  rDev -65.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

The beer has a light orange hue to it. It pours with a decent enough head to it which quickly dissipates. The smell is of sweet, sweet tropical fruit with a little bit of orange. I get the fruit smells of the hops but the smell is so sweet that this smells like a can of fruit cocktail. The sweetness is overwhelming on the palate with some bitterness on the back end. I get a lot of tropical fruit flavors but the beer is so sweet it overwhelms the hops. The mouthfeel is alright, if anything it is slightly undercarbonated which I think adds to the sweetness perception.

I did not like this beer. The closest similarity I can think of is Alpine's Exponential Hoppiness which I didn't like either. I found Exponential to be more interesting with a more pleasant tropical fruit taste to it. Simtra to me tastes pretty one dimensional. I went in with high expectations but struggled to get through this beer. This is not one I will drink again.

1.92/5  rDev -54.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.75

I haven't been fond of knee deep in the past, but when I saw their crown jewel I gave it a shot. It's exactly the type of IPA I don't like, bitter and chalky but not fragrant. Smell is almost imperceptible. Tastes like a homebrew I wasn't pleased with. Oily hops in a rancid sort of way. Only got 8 oz but not going to finish.

2.08/5  rDev -50.9%

2.1/5  rDev -50.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Bottled 4-23-13

What in the sweet hell is going on with this thang? This is the worst smelling thing that I have smelt since my ex ate curried goat and then tried to slip me some frenchie frenchie. What in the...? Raul heard many great things about this guy, but the taste lies a bit thin like Jarred after a 5 dollar foot long - and quite frankly, it is a bit rancid.

Not into it. Not into it at all.

*Something wrong had to have happened to this thing

*Nope, tried it again and it was just as rank

2.59/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.03/5  rDev -28.5%

Aroma (face kick) - pine, apples, grapfruit, and citrus.

Mouthfeel - excellent, with perfect carbonation for the style. Sweet on the lips, but finishes bitter.

Overall, I feel this beer lacks balance, but it also says Triple IPA on the label, so I was expecting to not taste malts here. All in all, I feel I've had other big beers that have maintained that balance of my personal tastes. Hop heavy beer like this can tend to be astringent reminding me of cleaning supplies. This may attribute to my personal lack of love for Simcoe hops.

3.15/5  rDev -25.7%

Triple IPA. Yeah, there is no style for this.

Massive alcohol (and hop) presence just put this way out of balance and hurts taste and drinkability. Sharp on the nose and palate and makes it a sipper, but as it warms it accentuates the negatives.

Not a fan (obviously) especially after drinking the wonderful citra extra pale.

3.2/5  rDev -24.5%

The usual orangey amber color with a pleasant foamy cap. On the titanic side. I don't think I've smelled the "cat pee" odor quite so strongly in a beer before. Thin in body, but the same way vodka is "thin."

I suppose being so overly alcoholic is a good thing. It drinks more like a liqueur, where you just take tiny sips and wait until the feeling returns to your tongue. Oh, the hops. Total hop teardown. Not ridiculously bitter, just liquid hops. Not such a bad flavor, either. It's quite spicy and aromatic. A bright tone. Take it one sip at a time.

Time for a Simple Times Lager to add this hop flavoring to. From the 22 oz bottle

Simtra Triple IPA from Knee Deep Brewing Company