Hop-Trio Triple IPA | Knee Deep Brewing Company

Knee Deep Brewing Company
kneedeepbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Formerly known as Hoparillo

Triple IPA brewed and dry hopped with large amounts of Citra, Mosaic and Amarillo hops that delivers exploding tropical fruit and citrus aromas and flavor. Intense hop aromas that are sure to stimulate your olfactory receptors.

Added by KevT on 07-02-2013

Reviews by pkalix:

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I bought a mixed 6pck from the beer store around the corner. It poured a hazy orangish with thin white head that left some lacing. The scent had hints citrus peel spice. The taste was nicely balanced and easy to drink for a triple ipa. The malt helped keep the bitterness in check. Mostly tropical fruit present. The mouthfeel was fuller in body with good carbonation. Overall it's a decent beer.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: medium gold and clear, a few fingers of ivory head, some motes of lace down the glass

S: lotsa of fruity and floral aromas suggesting citrus groves and pith, wet fields and bright flowers

T: juicy citrus right up front, tropical fruits and mild sweetness beneath; edges of caramel and biscuit

M: medium-weight, slight tingle, moderate carbonation, relatively lean for the abv

O: a real nice DIPA/TIPA hop-bomb, featuring some faves in Citra, Amarillo, and Mosaic. Sure to please fans of the style and the hops.

3.87/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours golden with solid clarity with bubbles racing upwards; small white head that falls leaving great retention and sticky lacing. The aromas have a nice blend of tropical and citrus fruits. Pineapple and grapefruit are there. Some orange in the mix. Hints of fresh bread and crackers. Some malts, but the hop aromas shine. The flavors basically follow the nose. More pineapple and grapefruit along with some subtle hints of orange and lemon. The citrus seems to outweigh the tropical notes. Lots of fresh pine needles along with some pine sap. Subtle spiciness. Hints of black pepper. Possibly some rye in the mix. Mild warmth, but it becomes balanced the more you drink it. Malts do their thing, but take a backseat to the hops. The alcohol is ultimately well hidden. Mouthfeel is very nice. It's full-bodied with moderate to active carbonation. It's fluffy, smooth and dangerously drinkable.

This is a nice "Triple IPA". It's pretty bold and drinks big without being extreme or over the top. Knee Deep is really good with hops, and this one is no exception. It's possibly even better than the "high numerical score" might indicate. It's enjoyable and fun to drink.

4.73/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This fuckin beer is about as delicious as he can imagine....in his completely fed up and dicked up life.

4.26/5  rDev +0.9%

I am now going back-and-forth between The Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody & The CANQuest (tm), which many felt was getting short shrift. Hey, I listen to my fan base, if nothing else. Thus begins a short brewery horizontal.

From the bottle: "122 IBU"; "Amarillo[;] Mosaic[;] Citra".

122 IBUs?!? I donned asbestos gloves before I picked up this too-hot-to-handle bad boy in order to Pop! its cap & give it a gentle pour. Unbidden, it formed a solid cap of a finer of dense, foamy, tawny head with excellent retention. Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was as piney and minty as a freshly-cut Christmas tree! I got sticky resins in my nostrils as a result. The caramel malt base did nothing to alleviate the unexpected blast of pine in this champ. I thought back to the first time that I got to use turpentine as a very young oil painter. My parents bought a small CAN for me to deCANt into a glass CANtainer in which my oil brushes were to be soaked. I will never forget that smell on the first occasion when we screwed off the top & poured some out. This beer had the same resinous scent that was so evocative of my childhood. 8=O I have not painted in 40+ years, but the memories remain. By Bob, I am old. To be reminiscing on my youth is a sure sign of encroaching age. I apologize, but some beers simply take me on a trip down memory lane. This was literally sticky & resinous on my lips! George Brett would have been envious. Man, but it was also very mellow, dig? I had some hop tea earlier, right? But this was like hot hop tea. See, it was piney, resinous and sticky, but at the same time, it was bringing a mellow vibe that I had not felt in a while. I was a young sailor in 1984 & baby, I fell for this sister with a wild afro. Her music was this kind of mellow, dig? Groovy, but not trippy, man. Some cats were unwound, but a lot of guys were impressed by her presence. We went night clubbing a lot & she got a charge out of the looks as a statuesque African-American walked in with a short, nebbish white boy. I got the same charge from this beer. Electrifying, man. Like a charge out of an electrical socket. Baby, I loved to touch her springy hair & this was springing me up, real good. It was not so much the latent (blatant?) alcohol so much as just the aggregate pine sappiness that was just worming its way into my brain. I could hear the Hop-Trio jazz band wailing away as she & I did the rock & roll well into the night. The finish ended with that sax note that stays with you, well after you leave the club. I could taste the pine for days on end, daddy-o. I just sat back in my chair & reflected on all that had just transpired. It was a solid gig & the empty bottle was a nice souvenir.

3.69/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tad boozy but not over the top. Fairly drinkable.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Late to the game on this beer. Kept passing this up since every bottle I would come across was past it's prime date-wise. Pours a very clear gold with nice fluffy head and lacing that quickly diminishes to just some larger surface bubbles.

Intense amarillo, mosaic and citra aroma, with no real leader of the pack, but that's ok since they all smell amazing. Taste follows the nose and you get a nice variety of hop flavor on the palate, along with some lingering honey-like sweetness. Alcohol is definitely felt, but for 11.1%, not that much. Overall.. this is excellent.

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours into an oversized wine glass a clear slight burnt orange tinged golden with a sticky one finger white head atop.A big splash of tangerine and grapefruit in the nose,wow it really hits ya.Fruity tangerine and grapefruit rind up front on the palate,it never gets to sweet although there is a sugary finish,the hops stay the main focus wich doesn't happen enough for the style.This is a hophead winner here.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bomber bottle

Pours typical near clear almond Amber and leaving fine strands of lace

Hopped up grapefruit nose

Delicious citric hop bomb, loaded w grapefruit goodness. Dangerously drinkable.

3.94/5  rDev -6.6%

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Nose citrus, tropical fruit, herbal, pine, fresh baked bread. Pours brilliant amber under a 2” white foam cap that produces thick, clingy lace. It has a big bourbon palate with a dash of Regan’s Orange Bitter Number 6 and finishes with a slight alcohol burn. Hints of vanilla and butterscotch in the background. Chewy, creamy and delicious.

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Blonde-straw color, rich Citra aroma, exceptionally smooth body with a NICE TASTE.

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Glad I dabbled, but wouldn't necessarily rate it "outstanding". Ill stick to my hop ranch.

4.31/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

P: Golden amber with a big bubled two finger head that settles down with nice lacing.
A: Dank resin, bready yeast, citrus grapefruit.
T: Much like the aroma bit great mild bitterness. HOPS! BIG HOPS?
M: smooth, crisp, clean, nice balance, medium body.
O: Triple! Must we? We must, we must! A remarkable Triple!

Hop-Trio Triple IPA from Knee Deep Brewing Company