Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Orange Whip IPA | Mad Fox Brewing Company

madfoxbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by blackie on 11-06-2010

3.15/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

3.37/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's oddly dark for an IPA, and the crystal malt really shows up on the nose - but so do the Citra hops. Lots of melon, mango, pineapple, and grapefruit show up alongside the caramel. The taste follows suit, with a bit more focus on the malt. Tropical and citrus flavors open it up nicely, followed up by caramel, toffee, and earth. It's more balanced than the color might suggest, but ultimately the crystal malt has more influence than it should. The palate is heavy and sweet, but the subtle carbonation cleanses the palate respectably. I'd give this a 4 if it were classified as a red IPA, but it's too malty compared to some of the lighter and defter examples of the style. Still a decent offering, though.

3.37/5: Crystal whip?

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

On tap at the brewpub poured into a sampler glass. Pours a hazy reddish amber color with a large offwhite head. Decent head retention and lacing. Aroma of strong citrus hops, caramel and toasted malts. The taste is big citrus hops including orange, pineapple, grapefruit and candied citrus, as well as caramel malts. Medium bodied. Strong lingering bitterness.

3.51/5  rDev -17.2%

From the source
L:copper with an orange tint. Good lacing and head retention.
A:sweet smelling, similar to wort, with very little hop aroma
T: upfront I get sweet malt with a little orange mixed in following this is crisp hop bitterness. Nice balance between malt and hops.
F:solid medium mouthfeel.very crisp and easy to drink
Overall a solid, balanced IPA. Good but not something I would seek out necessarily.

3.55/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I don't see what all the fuss is about. With a name like Orange Whip, I expected massive citrus flavor. I didn't get it. I will have to try again, but I thought the beer was severely lacking hop flavor and aroma. I much prefer their Dingo IPA, which I thought was stellar.

3.6/5  rDev -15.1%

Had a cask version of this at the Brickskeller.

A: dark brown, very cloudy; no head, but that's what you would expect out of a cask; don't let that deter you
S: very pungent, along the lines of gargonzola cheese
T: Whew! very unusual flavor; the orange is very subtle; the main profile resembles Vick's cough drops in a grapefruit juice; the oak cask is very discernible
M: very muted in the mouth, but again that's because of the cask, so I marked up for that
D: very hard to get into this beer, but I couldn't stop drinking it

This was one strange beer. Get one if you want to explore the outer reaches of the beer galaxy.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Sample at Industry Night at HomeBrewCon.
Orange amber color white head. Huge citrus and tropical fruitiness. Pretty tasty beer, but oddly the server wouldn't allow me to try this beer until I tried his saison first.

3.86/5  rDev -9%

On tap at the Brewpub in Falls Church.

Nice clear dark orange amber color with little head, average nose which is light citrus.

Taste is very good, clean with mainly citrus hops and good malt balance.

Mouthfeel is a bit too light for me.

Overall a very good beer that falls a bit short of my expectation for an IPA.

After the review I spoke to the bartender, found that this usually unfiltered beer was filtered for a competition, which may explain the difference between my experience and the prior consencious.

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A floral IPA that I thoroughly enjoyed my first few times having it. It is a occasional offering by the brewpub so I can't say if the beer or my tastes have changed. Now it seems sweeter and more malty than I like.

A: good dark amber, fairly clear given darkness
S: floral, orange notes (shockingly?) - I almost think the sweetness is being foreshadowing
T/M: more malty and less mouthfeel than I want from an IPA. There is a slight tug on the tongue, but the honey-orange sweetness is the most prevalent. This isn't bad, but not what I am really looking for.
O: a decent offering I always grab one of when it's on tap, but I've stopped getting more than one.

Re-review (original 08/2013): this batch (to me) is less sweet and a little more bitter than my original review. The feel and taste change can be summed up in that they tend towards orange-rind (from the previous honey-orange sweetness). Net effect: +.25 on taste, feel, overall; -.25 on smell.

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From the growler, it pours an orangey copper-amber with an off-white head. A bit of caramelly sweet to the nose, with some citrus thrown in. Taste follows nose. Yum!

3.94/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

3.94/5  rDev -7.1%