Orange Whip IPA | Mad Fox Brewing Company

Added by blackie on 11-06-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 48 | Ratings: 166
3.75/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Sample at Industry Night at HomeBrewCon.
Orange amber color white head. Huge citrus and tropical fruitiness. Pretty tasty beer, but oddly the server wouldn't allow me to try this beer until I tried his saison first.

3.93/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From the growler, it pours an orangey copper-amber with an off-white head. A bit of caramelly sweet to the nose, with some citrus thrown in. Taste follows nose. Yum!

4.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

At the brewery in a pint glass. Color is orange-copper (shocker) with a thin dense off-white head. Smell is a huge pine blast. Taste is grapefruit and pine with a nice malt undercurrent with some breadiness in the finish, which is only slightly dry and bitter. Feel is medium and smooth. Good beer that I'm glad is brewed 3 blocks from me.

The best beer from the closest brewery to my house. On tap in their mugs, had a fantastic orange color, a great aroma, and an incredible flavor. Highly recommended!

3.51/5  rDev -17.4%

From the source
L:copper with an orange tint. Good lacing and head retention.
A:sweet smelling, similar to wort, with very little hop aroma
T: upfront I get sweet malt with a little orange mixed in following this is crisp hop bitterness. Nice balance between malt and hops.
F:solid medium mouthfeel.very crisp and easy to drink
Overall a solid, balanced IPA. Good but not something I would seek out necessarily.

4.34/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a growler. The beer pours very little head and dissipates quickl. The beer color itself is very interesting. While it's a deep amber, it actually leans in more towards the orange part of the spectrum. The look is actually very nice and very clean, which makes it pleasing to look at.

The beer smell is infinitely subtle, yet still manages to make itself know. The beer isn't really bitter or super hoppy. The only hop notes are subtle orange citrus and tangerine note accompanied by a strong, sweet malt character that makes it better.

The beer taste is phenomenal. The hop note has a strong presence but doesn't overwhelm the palate. The hop notes primarily consist of an orange citrus and tangerine note balanced by a sweet and creamy malt body.

The mouthfeel is fantastic. The beer has a nice creamy feel throughout and a bit of a body but not too heavy. The beer has a really nice refreshing finish.

Overall, a fantastic IPA and one I really wished I had had sooner. If you see this on tap in the DC Metro area, GET IT!!!!

4.04/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a growler
I don't prefer IPAs, but not so much that I don't keep drinking them when presented to me.
A - Nice dark orange color with moderate head that doesn't get in the way
S - The smell is a noticible citris/tangerine, but subtle enough that you don't feel like it's fake or perfumy
T - Again, subtle hints of orange citris, but I never felt like I was drinking some fruity beer, the hopness was also very slight, which I prefer and seemed absent of any bitter aftertaste
F - a bit of carbonation, but otherwise nothing noteworthy
O - I really enjoyed this IPA, in fact, I went back for seconds. Even with the orange scent and subtle orange taste, I never felt like I was drinking some summer fruit beer. The hoppiness was present but very masked also not overtaking the beer. A reallly nice blend that I would recommend to the non-IPA drinker like me.

3.55/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I don't see what all the fuss is about. With a name like Orange Whip, I expected massive citrus flavor. I didn't get it. I will have to try again, but I thought the beer was severely lacking hop flavor and aroma. I much prefer their Dingo IPA, which I thought was stellar.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Best local (to me) IPA I've had the pleasure of drinking.
Have been waiting a while to try it, and glad it lived up to expectations.
Pours a dark orange/amber, not reminiscent of a traditional IPA.
Nose has tons of tropical fruits and pineapples and the taste follows.
Great balance between hops and malt here, IMO what DFH90 tried to achieve, this does to the next degree.
Would love to have this again.. great brew.

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

This is the best Mad Fox beer I've had so far and I would highly recommend it to any IPA or pale ale fan.

A- Orange Whip pours from the draft a mahogany/amber color with reddish highlights and a wispy head.

S- The beer pops with a strong hit of pineapple accented with notes of citrus, fruit cocktail and other hop aromas.

M- This medium-bodied beer is smooth through the middle and ends with a refreshing dry note.

T- The beer--with its expert balance of bitter hops and sweet malts--tastes like vacation in a glass with notes of pineapple, citrus, fruit cocktail, peaches caramelized in brown-sugar, and pineapple upside down cake.

3.88/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A floral IPA that I thoroughly enjoyed my first few times having it. It is a occasional offering by the brewpub so I can't say if the beer or my tastes have changed. Now it seems sweeter and more malty than I like.

A: good dark amber, fairly clear given darkness
S: floral, orange notes (shockingly?) - I almost think the sweetness is being foreshadowing
T/M: more malty and less mouthfeel than I want from an IPA. There is a slight tug on the tongue, but the honey-orange sweetness is the most prevalent. This isn't bad, but not what I am really looking for.
O: a decent offering I always grab one of when it's on tap, but I've stopped getting more than one.

Re-review (original 08/2013): this batch (to me) is less sweet and a little more bitter than my original review. The feel and taste change can be summed up in that they tend towards orange-rind (from the previous honey-orange sweetness). Net effect: +.25 on taste, feel, overall; -.25 on smell.

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Growler shared by MNishCT77. Thanks Mark!

The beer is dark amber with a tan head. Certainly darker than I anticipated. Citra hops are present but only play a supporting role. This beer is the definition of balance, and I don't mean that disparagingly, as is often the case when discussing IPAs and DIPAs. Sweet citrus with a sturdy malt body. Again, the balance is so elegant here. Bread crust and citric hops in perfect harmony. Really tasty. This beer has been on my radar for years. I'm grateful for the opportunity to try it.

4.14/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

16 oz. pint glass purchased at the brewery on the release date (3/1/04), drank over an hour at the bar.

A: 2/3 - deep amber-brown, received with a subtle glass lacing, moderate alcohol legs

S: 10/12 - moderate amount of Citra hop aroma - orange, tangerine and lemon; moderate biscuity malt presence; some alcohols as well

T: 16/20 - on the front of the tongue, there is a moderate hop bitterness that develops into classic Citra flavors - tangerine, orange and mango - with no dank or catty presence; in the middle of the mouth, the citrus flavors continue to develop but there is a big malt presence here than many American IPAs - lots of Marris Otter in here, I think; little alcohol flavors; finishes dry and inviting

M: 4/5 - moderate hop oils, some alcohol fullness

O: 9/10 - solid hoppy pale ale but, to be honest, it's not what I expected with an English IPA color and malt backbone under Citra; it's good stuff but there are other many other commercial Citra beers out there that I prefer - FFF ZD and Pipework's Citra Ninja immediately come to mind; nonetheless, I'd recommend it as a milder, balanced Citra beer, but don't come here looking for a Citra bomb

TOTAL - 41/50

4.81/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From a 750 ml swing top growler filled 4 days ago on 7/16/13, this was a super fresh sample and poured into a port glass. I thought that the Palace Hotel Ballroom was the only place that served Orange Whip, but I stand corrected ("Three Orange Whips!").

Burnished crystal clear copper hue with a finger of khaki head.Carbonation barely noticibale by appearance only. The head remains for a few minutes, some spotty lacing noted, but by no means the most important component.

Aroma is simply top notch in all respects: the hops are completely front and center, with a notable citra blast from the dry hopping causing the mouth to water, like Pavlov's dog. This is a stroll through an orange grove while your feet are stepping on freshly fallen pine needles wafting up your nostrils. Malt? What malt?!

Flavors are that of an orange creamsicle dipped in pine needles, just divine. Orange Whip has one of the most pleasant flavors of any IPA that I have been fortunate enough to sample, and rivals anything from California or Vermont. Alcohol not even slightly detectable.

Mouthfeel also a major high point here. The carbonation that seems like it could be slight by the appearance yet it is masterfully executed, with a result that creates a tremendously creamy texture over the palate. Light to medium body, exceptionally quaffable.

After spoiling my palate to high quality Vermont offerings from Lawson's, Hill Farmstead & The Alchemist (in addition to some stellar California IPAs), it becomes more and more difficult to find something that really flips my wig, yet Orange Whip has done just that. I place Mad Fox Orange Whip at the very top of my recommendation list for those that enjoy a genuine tropical IPA experience, and would match it up against the very best of the best, and the high rating on my part is due to the uniqueness of this amazing IPA.

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured on tap into a half sized shaker pint style glass at Meridian Pint. From notes.

A dark copper body, orange hues along the edges with a dark amber appearance. Kind of hard body color to describe almost a blur between brown and amber. The puck settles with a nice tan cap and laces nicely. The head is particularly uniform and real nice.

There's a light sense of hop like grapefruit and toasty spice. Light brown sugar whaffs up a bit. More citrus orange and very clean. Very simple. Nice and not overbearing either. Solid.

On first sip the palate fills with a good brown sugar that's tolerable. Piney wood like hops finish with a great breath mellow orange and citrus qualities. Prickly carbonation at first but nothing detracting. Warmth really brings out more of a creamy character and hop tangerine like citrus to the beer also, but it's subtle.

Overall a solid IPA to be having in the area. I personally love 2 hemispheres considerably more and wasn't crazy about this, but it's a solid decent brew worth having again.

4.06/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Orange Whip was served with head pouring over the top of the glass, semi-hazy orange in color with a finger or two of white head. The retention is great, and the head laces so much that I can't tell from the outside where the head has gone and wear it starts. 4.5

S: The aroma is faint, but is focused on citrus and other tropical hints. It's very piney as well, right is right up my alley for IPAs. 3.5

T: The taste is basically all orange citrus, in a piney delicious way. Fresh hops, and a slight nip of booze assault the palate. I feel like if you put a scoop of vanilla ice cream in this you'd get a cream sickle beer float. Note to self: do that next time. 4

MF: It has a light body with the perfect amount of carbonation. The beer is damn drinkable and pairs wonderfully with their food offerings. The bitter aftertaste sticks with you well after the beer has cleared the tongue. 4.5

Value: This is Mad Fox's best and most popular offering, making it a tough one to track down. It's priced right for the area at $6 per pint, but if you can get it on half priced growler night it's an absolute steal. 4.5

O: The beer I look forward to most from this brewery never disappoints. If you come here for one reason, this should be it. 4.5

4.42/5  rDev +4%

~~Thanks to CuriousMonk for the growler~~

From notes on 12/15/12:
Poured in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A - Pours one inch of off-white creamy head with pretty good retention; Deep, dark and fairly cloudy maroon hued amber in color - probably the darkest IPA I've ever seen; Nice showing of lacing around the glass

S - Now this is impressive; Loads of juicy Mandarin orange citrus notes (as the name suggests) - pretty sweet and a bit tart all at once - with a nice floral quality as well; Caramel and biscuity malt backbone with a slight and barely noticeable touch of peppery and piney hops

T - Pretty well balanced initially, which is a bit different than what the nose shows; Good amount of orange citrus, as well as lesser doses of tropical fruit, pungent pine, and lightly peppery hops; Caramel and biscuity malts also play an integral part with a light to moderate wave of bitterness that tags along and lingers; Oranges become a stronger feature later in the taste and as the beer warms - with a bit of accompanying pineapple fruit - and really shine in the finish with the bitterness dying off and an increase in sweetness

M - Moderate carbonation and medium bodied; Very smooth and easy going down; Definitely finishes on the dry side

O - I had been waiting to try this particular IPA for some time, and honestly, it easily lived up to my lofty expectations. Of the countless IPA's I have enjoyed over the years, this one is definitely one of the most unique. The aroma was admittedly my favorite part with it's over-the-top, but intoxicating orange goodness. The flavor didn't quite match that level of near perfection, but it certainly didn't disappoint either, packing quite the hoppy, orange-dominated punch. Without hesitation, I'd put this beer in the highest of classes of IPA's east of the Mississippi.

4.17/5  rDev -1.9%

Growler thanks to CUE45. round two of this beverage means I must rate it.

Smells like a normal IPA nothing special..having this next to heady topper, columbus IPA, head hunter and white rajah this is the one I will keep dabbling in.

i felt the orange creamsicle vibe more so last time then now but still delicious

thank you to virginia for bringing more then just busch gardens

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

Huge thanks to portable for sending this growler my way just because he thought i would like it!!! enjoyed from an urthel tulip. growler filled on 12/4

a - brew poured a deep ruby maroon with a finger or so of ipa white foamy head that hung out for a while and left a think 1/4 inch of foam on the surface for a WHILE. sticky chunky lacing clung to the glass.

s - YUM! citric hops. dankness. orange. tropical fruit. smells fantastic. my mouth is literally watering.

t - much like the nose, the flavor boasts thick dank sweaty hops. this beer really hits on that pine cone vibe. good malt presence too to ensure that this isn't just a hop bomb. doug, who sent this to me, told me that it was starting to taste a bit more malty the other day than when he first had it, but i dig the malts. extremely well balanced and great tropical flavors.

m - fairly full bodied. good carbonation. not too bitter. fairly crisp and super easy to drink.

o - overall, this is another great ipa. the nose is the highlight, but the taste is no joke either. VERY happy to have the chance to try such a great ipa, especially one so under the radar as this one...never heard of it until it showed up at my doorstep. nicely made, would definitely seek this out if you like a solid IPA.

A - Pours a cloudy brownish orange color with minimal head and a loose foamy off white lacing and sediment.

A - Tropical fruit that's tangy and pungent and fruit rinds.

T - Matches the nose with fruit rinds of guava, oranges, and grapefruit. Sweet caramel malt underneath blends well with the sweet fruity taste and and mild bitter aftertaste that doesn't hang around for very long.

M -Light medium body, velvet smooth.

O - Not setting the IPA world on fire but I did really enjoy the glass.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

The Orange Whip is one of Mad Fox's favorites - not that the rest of em' aren't great; it is a quintessential IPA with all the criteria in check.

The body is a luxuriant copper color: semi-translucent and still with nary a carbonation bubble in sight. There is a minimal lacing present. The nose is king here as the beer presents an intense waft of grapefruit complimented with a few whiffs of pine and brown sugar. The palate is really busy with this one: peach, mango and tangerine flay the tongue; there is an iota of malt, which provides some semi-sweetness. All this along with dry-hopped citra makes for a devastating powerhouse of a quaff.

Wonderfully balanced brew makes for a non-aggressive quaff, and one that deserves the fame it has incurred. (As of this writing, Mad Fox is anticipating another tapping.) Yes! Pliny goes to Northern Virginia .... and why not?

4.57/5  rDev +7.5%

Growler shared by dtmets84, thanks!

Surprisingly dark maroon pour. Minimal head. Pungent grapefruit and hops billow from the glass, inviting me to taste. And yeah, this is fantastic. Tastes like biting into a juicy orange with lingering orange-y citrus after swallowing. Excellent blend with the hoppy base. No hop oil or biting resin character. Just... wow!

Despite being one of my least favorite styles (Single IPA), Orange Whip is *incredibly* good. I could drink this all day.

4.26/5  rDev +0.2%

Little head minimal lacing on a hazy amber with a minimal golden hue. Aroma is excellent with citrus, mostly grapefruit and orange peel citrus on the nose. Very drinkable. Lots of citrus and earth notes and right amount of bitterness applied to a well balanced malt character. Medium body and moderate carbonation.

4.37/5  rDev +2.8%

Big thanks to siege06nd for the growler!

The smell upon opening the growler was just amazing! Loads of hops and citrus.

The appearance is also great - a really dark, orange-copper that lets through some light, but isn't thin or transparent at all. The head is nearly nonexistent here, though...not sure how much of that is from lower carbonation in this beer, and how much is from shipment of a growler.

The taste, again, amazing...tons of citrus and hops. Less of the popular 'piney' taste and more of the citrus (hence the name, right?).

The mouthfeel is lacking here, however. This is due to the carbonation issue. I know that if there was more there, the mouthfeel would be spot on, as this isn't a small, thin beer.

Overall, and amazing AIPA - the smell, the taste, all just amazing and enjoyable. If only the carbonation issue hadn't been here it'd be a true top-tier beer.

4.01/5  rDev -5.6%

First time doing a review in about 6 months but no ones reviewed the batch released today so I'll bite.

Pours a murky orange hued brown. The appearance is my biggest gripe about this beer.

The smell is Citra all the way. An almost slightly sour orange/mandarin smell. Hoppy like no other and obviously fresh.

The taste is more focused on hop flavor rather than bitterness. Sweet citrus with some bitterness on the back with an awesome malt balance. I always enjoy the breadiness most Mad Fox beers have.

I've been waiting to try this beer for about 9 months since I moved here and started going to Mad Fox. I think it was a little over hyped for me but it is still a damn fine beer. I'm glad it's not filtered but on the other hand the appearance could use some work for sure.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast