Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Orange Whip IPA | Mad Fox Brewing Company

Added by blackie on 11-06-2010

4.11/5  rDev -3.1%

4.36/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The best beer from the closest brewery to my house. On tap in their mugs, had a fantastic orange color, a great aroma, and an incredible flavor. Highly recommended!

3.51/5  rDev -17.2%

From the source
L:copper with an orange tint. Good lacing and head retention.
A:sweet smelling, similar to wort, with very little hop aroma
T: upfront I get sweet malt with a little orange mixed in following this is crisp hop bitterness. Nice balance between malt and hops.
F:solid medium mouthfeel.very crisp and easy to drink
Overall a solid, balanced IPA. Good but not something I would seek out necessarily.

3.94/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

4.34/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a growler. The beer pours very little head and dissipates quickl. The beer color itself is very interesting. While it's a deep amber, it actually leans in more towards the orange part of the spectrum. The look is actually very nice and very clean, which makes it pleasing to look at.

The beer smell is infinitely subtle, yet still manages to make itself know. The beer isn't really bitter or super hoppy. The only hop notes are subtle orange citrus and tangerine note accompanied by a strong, sweet malt character that makes it better.

The beer taste is phenomenal. The hop note has a strong presence but doesn't overwhelm the palate. The hop notes primarily consist of an orange citrus and tangerine note balanced by a sweet and creamy malt body.

The mouthfeel is fantastic. The beer has a nice creamy feel throughout and a bit of a body but not too heavy. The beer has a really nice refreshing finish.

Overall, a fantastic IPA and one I really wished I had had sooner. If you see this on tap in the DC Metro area, GET IT!!!!

4.06/5  rDev -4.2%

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.21/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.03/5  rDev -5%

On tap at mad Fox. Poured into pint glass. Tangerine and other citrus on the nose. Drinkable .

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.04/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a growler
I don't prefer IPAs, but not so much that I don't keep drinking them when presented to me.
A - Nice dark orange color with moderate head that doesn't get in the way
S - The smell is a noticible citris/tangerine, but subtle enough that you don't feel like it's fake or perfumy
T - Again, subtle hints of orange citris, but I never felt like I was drinking some fruity beer, the hopness was also very slight, which I prefer and seemed absent of any bitter aftertaste
F - a bit of carbonation, but otherwise nothing noteworthy
O - I really enjoyed this IPA, in fact, I went back for seconds. Even with the orange scent and subtle orange taste, I never felt like I was drinking some summer fruit beer. The hoppiness was present but very masked also not overtaking the beer. A reallly nice blend that I would recommend to the non-IPA drinker like me.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

4.75/5  rDev +12%

One of the best drinking IPA's I have tasted

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

A growler share from weezarc. Thank you. Very balanced IPA that is very good. Nice citrus flavor and not too bitter.

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

3.55/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I don't see what all the fuss is about. With a name like Orange Whip, I expected massive citrus flavor. I didn't get it. I will have to try again, but I thought the beer was severely lacking hop flavor and aroma. I much prefer their Dingo IPA, which I thought was stellar.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Best local (to me) IPA I've had the pleasure of drinking.
Have been waiting a while to try it, and glad it lived up to expectations.
Pours a dark orange/amber, not reminiscent of a traditional IPA.
Nose has tons of tropical fruits and pineapples and the taste follows.
Great balance between hops and malt here, IMO what DFH90 tried to achieve, this does to the next degree.
Would love to have this again.. great brew.

Orange Whip IPA from Mad Fox Brewing Company