Orange Whip IPA | Mad Fox Brewing Company

madfoxbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by blackie on 11-06-2010

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

This is the best Mad Fox beer I've had so far and I would highly recommend it to any IPA or pale ale fan.

A- Orange Whip pours from the draft a mahogany/amber color with reddish highlights and a wispy head.

S- The beer pops with a strong hit of pineapple accented with notes of citrus, fruit cocktail and other hop aromas.

M- This medium-bodied beer is smooth through the middle and ends with a refreshing dry note.

T- The beer--with its expert balance of bitter hops and sweet malts--tastes like vacation in a glass with notes of pineapple, citrus, fruit cocktail, peaches caramelized in brown-sugar, and pineapple upside down cake.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

4.75/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

4.34/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A floral IPA that I thoroughly enjoyed my first few times having it. It is a occasional offering by the brewpub so I can't say if the beer or my tastes have changed. Now it seems sweeter and more malty than I like.

A: good dark amber, fairly clear given darkness
S: floral, orange notes (shockingly?) - I almost think the sweetness is being foreshadowing
T/M: more malty and less mouthfeel than I want from an IPA. There is a slight tug on the tongue, but the honey-orange sweetness is the most prevalent. This isn't bad, but not what I am really looking for.
O: a decent offering I always grab one of when it's on tap, but I've stopped getting more than one.

Re-review (original 08/2013): this batch (to me) is less sweet and a little more bitter than my original review. The feel and taste change can be summed up in that they tend towards orange-rind (from the previous honey-orange sweetness). Net effect: +.25 on taste, feel, overall; -.25 on smell.

Orange Whip IPA from Mad Fox Brewing Company