Barrel Slayer

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Barrel SlayerBarrel Slayer
Notes: Barrel Slayer has notes of molten, dark chocolate brownies and bourbon created by our meticulous barrel-aging process. Aged in hand picked Weller bourbon barrels from our friends at Binny's Beverage Depot, Barrel Slayer soaked up the last drop of life from these barrels.
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 12 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.73/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On draft at TG taproom.

Look: A deep black with a thin tan head that fades quickly. The deep color is great.

Smell: The bourbon barrel was really strong at first with chocolate.

Taste: The barrel dominated and a nice fudge like chocolate. As it warmed, the chocolate came through more with a nice hint of vanilla and maybe molasses.

Feel: Low carbonation with a thickness that hangs around.

Overall: A fantastic brew if you are also a bourbon drinker. Definitely worth getting.

4.84/5  rDev +2.5%

Absolutely loved this one, I don't like the comparisons to Assassin, to me this is not as dark-fruit forward instead a thicc sweet-bourbon soaked graham... it's a perfect consistency of carbonation and chocolate, not cloying but soft. I'm not as high as most on assassin, but this to me is much more my preference, definitely worth the current trade value and I wish I had another. Stunning to me and one of my favorites of the year, had this side by side with BBT and this was my winner.

4.59/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have to start with a confession, I scoffed at the price of this beer. Fortunately a loved one gifted me a bottle as a surprise! Lighter black viscous body with a very slight brown collar. Smell has tons of the barrel, and it is very expressive: bourbon booze, molasses, fascinating wood, char, and then add the dark fudge, earth, and fig to play in it all. So this is the aspect where I have to admit I was wrong, the taste of this beer is indeed top shelf: take the dynamics from the nose plus vanilla, raisin, and caramel, then amplify them in a thick matrix in which they all meld and dance together. The wood, bourbon, and fudge stand out in particular. It is so expressive without entering into the gimmicky zone. Feel is boozy, thick up front but thins with the booze heat, viscous, chewy, but want a touch more base to the malt work. The wife liked it but didn't think it was worth $80, glad it was a gift!

4.75/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Tan head. Black color. Thick and oily. Tastes like assassin. Tons of barrel flavors. Bourbon and oak. Fudge and chocolate. Brownie batter. Molasses and dark fruits are faint. Ends with a warming bourbon finish. Very thick. This is a winner.

Barrel Slayer from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company