Pseudo Sue | Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Pseudo SuePseudo Sue

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States
tgbrews.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

This single hop ale showcases the Citra hop. Named for the largest T-rex fossil ever discovered, she roars with ferocious aromas of grapefruit, citrus, mango and evergreen. Delicate in body with a mild bite in the finish.

#143

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 795 | Ratings: 5,160

Trying to smell this from the mouth of the can, it smells mostly of fruity peachy hops.

Piney and resiny flavor, maybe some molasses for balance, pretty standard well-made hoppy ale.

Pleasantly papery mouthfeel, a tiny bit of lingering bitterness, but otherwise very crisp.

TG nailed this one, I'd consider it a pretty perfect showing.

This leads the way for APAs, IMHO. Lots of citrus with a nice balance of pine bitterness. Great mouthfeel. Light yet full. Perfect for a APA. Leaves a lot of flavor in the back of your mouth. Can't get enough

What can I say, this is my favorite APA of all time. It is light and easy to drink, I would categorize it as a session beer. Hay colored with great head retention. Lots of tripical hop aroma.

Poured a really nice looking hazy light orange, about a finger of head.

Smell is all sweet tropical and citrus fruit with light astringint notes

Taste is grapefruit, tropical fruit coming through, oranges, finished dry and slightly bitter

Mouthfeel is spot on for a APA.

A amazing APA, I prefer Golden Nugget and Millenium Falcon... But I believe I gave those 5s thought so that is no complaint.

Edit... The more I drink this one, the more I realize Its earns the 5, while the appearance may not be a 5.... every other category is. And who cares about the appearance of a beer, if that is the one and only flaw!?!?

Previously had it at a 4.8 It is now a 5!

Great gold/lemon-shandy body and thin head. Smell is bursting with melon and lemon. Taste is very much like the smell. Mouthfeel is light, carbonated, crisp, mildly bitter and dry.

Overall: Easier to get and rivals JULIUS. This is an A+ for me. Great interpretation of the style. This beer is so damn good! I wish it was stocked regularly in the Inland Empire of California. But again, I must accept a Citra forward beer is a hard thing to come across.

Look- very hazy and juicy almost the consistency of a pineapple juice
Smell- over the top with tropical citrus deliciousness
Taste- absolutely stellar flavor with hazy tropical juiciness. Citrus and tropical pine with a perfect balance
Feel- easy drinking forms a nice head, a real treat
Overall- easily one of the best beers I’ve had so far. A world class treat that everyone should try

It's hard for me to find any flaws in this beer, simply because I cannot. The appearance is hazy, bright, and has a good head to it with good lacing. The aroma is almost my favorite part, I smell, citrus fruits like pineapple, grapefruit as well as mango. The taste pretty much matches the aroma for me to a T. The mouth feel is perfect as well, not over or under carbonated at all. Great beer, and it's currently my favorite.

Serving type: On tap, fresh keg.

There is no question that this is not only my favorite beer of the year alongside many others, but this one has just been an incredible staple all year long. It has all of the beer components nailed. The citra hop really shines in this beer. The wonderful marriage of subtle sweetness, and a citrusy punch gives this beer great balance. Notes of citrus and cantaloupe just make this beer sing. This is World Class.

Was sent a couple bottles from a very kind BA in Iowa. After reading about how the new Brew Hub brewed Sue has nothing on the old Iowa brewed ones I cant even imagine how good those had to have been. This is my favorite hoppy beer I have had even over Heady Topper. It looked hazy and bright orange, smelled awesome, and tasted extremely juicy and tropical. It was like alcoholic orange juice in the best way imaginable. This is a masterpiece to me, and I could drink them every day(so it's probably a good thing I dont have regular access to them lol).

YES!!!! ZD still has the nose, but PseudoSue in every other catagory! What an amazing and unique APA!! Have had this brew twicw now. Once outside when it was 19 degrees on black friday-AMAZING! The other day at a bottle share with some whales-Still AMAZING!!!

22oz bottle, bottled less than 48 hours before opening. Poured into FFF pint glass.

This may knock Zombie Dust out of the top 5 beers I've had, the 16oz cans brewed in Lakeland, FL are good but this bomber from Decorah blows the cans out of the water. HUGE citrus notes on the nose, complimented by the most delicious fruity flavor. Beautiful orange color with strong lacing that sticks to every part of the glass. I'd even take this over King Sue, just wow. The perfect beer for me. Only complaint is how hard it is to get compared to the 16oz cans here.

This is my platonic ideal of what an American Pale Ale should be.

On tap at Toppling Goliath Taphouse

A: Golden hue with about half a finger of head. The crystalline effervescence lingers on to the side of the glass after each sip. Not quite hazy, not quite transparent.

S: Oranges and grapefruit. Smells like I just opened a carton of low-pulp Tropicana OJ out of my fridge. A hint of floral character on the back end.

T: Orange juice is the first thought that comes to mind. Subtle sweetness follows with a bit of a pine and resin kick.

M: Medium body. Definitely not watery, but it's not hard to cut through either. Leaves back a refreshing creamy sensation once swirled inside the mouth. I wouldn't classify this as being sticky, but it's almost there in terms of viscosity

O: A great example of what an American Pale Ale should aspire to be. Full-ish bodied, yet very drinkable (I even might dare say session-able) but at the same time complex enough for you to want to take it slow and appreciate all the different aromas and flavors in play.

Poured from the bottle (no date) into a teku glass....

A - Dark orange color with a magnificent two finger head that holds real well. Nice sticky lace all over the glass

S - Citrus notes all over the place. An explosion as soon as I lifted the cap. A fruity implosion covered my kitchen, perfect

T - Wow, citra hops rule. Just like the label says, citrus and mango flavors are dominant. Orange, grapefruit, pez candy, lime juice. Amazing

M - Nice medium body with a great smooth feel off the palate. Low carbonation and just enough bite

O - This, to me, is the end all be all of the APA category. Just hits a 5 in every category. Absolutely awesome and so happy I had the chance to get a bottle. Do yourself a favor and seek this one out!

I had this beer at both the tap house and in the cans I purchased. Incredible beer! The aroma is great, it has a nice color and head and is very drinkable. Highly recommended!

With a solid white foam head and wonderful juicy nose, this single-hopped American pale ale hits the spot with a smooth body and slight hop bitterness in the finish. Toppling Goliath astounds with all of their beers and this flagship is on the mark for sure. Get your hands on this one before it becomes extinct (lol), cheers!

Got as an extra in a trade and was super excited. Lives up to the hype. Crisp, clean and smooth. Very drinkable. I will be looking for more of this beer to drink when it get warm outside. Perfect summer beer.

Wow. That really is the word that came out of my mouth when drinking this amazing pale ale. Most people think it's and IPA and I can see why as it drinks close to that with all of the citrusy goodness up front. Finishes nice and light but damn it's tasty. So glad they have them in 4 packs now.

My holy grail of beers. Tried some of this back in April when I was able to snag a few in Iowa. The incredible aroma of this beer is only outdone by its wonderful taste. This is my favorite beer. I would love to get some more of it. I'm very sad that my two bombers are long gone. TG needs to distribute in MI.

Very unfiltered cloudy .very beautiful foamy head. Taste overall is very good , very fruity and light bitterness but really nice smoothness. Very good beer for the price. Must buy an absolute incredible beer

This is an amazing drinkable beer. Its has crisp carbonation, a Candied mango, grapefruit aroma and taste and can easily be consumed in large quantities at a rapid pace. I cant express enough in words the drink ability of this beer, its amazing. A top notch, stand tall, kick a$$ brew that literally TOPPLES the competition. Seek this out cause this beer is off the charts!

Bottom Line: Pure Awesome! this is the best APA I have ever had, it's that good.

I have had in Bomber Bottle on Tap and in the new 12oz Bottle: The first batch of 12oz out of FL was off but the batches since have improved greatly. This is a perfect APA

From Labirratorium. In Teky glass. Watching Vinkings 4x10. Amazing in all aspects, but specially on texture, oily, with each sip filling your mouth completely, and very balanced. One of those brews that causes you great sorrow when then glass have finally emptied

Just a drinker. Im not a professional reviewer. This has got to be my favorite beer ive tried. Show casing the single Citra hop brew just tells me more why i love beers with Citra. Great brew and a must try for anyone like ipa, Pale ales. I love the earthy type of tones it has. Refreshing with a clean aftertaste. Ive only had this is cans and cant rate look as i never poured it out of the can.

Awesome beer amazing citra hops! Powerful citra flavor with just enough bite, crisp and easy to drink! Love it! Big fan of zombie dust by 3 floyds being in Indianapolis but I'd take this over zombie dust! Awesome beer!

i get excited about a lot of beer but i don't rush home to rate a beer on beer advocate. i've probably only rated 10 or 20 beers on here. but i rushed home to give this all 5s.

i'm not gonna tell you this is an all 5s beer for everyone, hell this isn't even my favorite style of beer, but if you've been spending all your life looking for that perfect juicy pale ale this is the beer you've been looking for all your life.

Pseudo Sue from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company