Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

PseudoSue | Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

PseudoSuePseudoSue
4.53/5
World-Class
PseudoSuePseudoSue

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States
tgbrews.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

This single hop ale showcases the Citra hop. Named for the largest T-rex fossil ever discovered, she roars with ferocious aromas of grapefruit, citrus, mango and evergreen. Delicate in body with a mild bite in the finish.

Added by emerge077 on 08-17-2011

#78

Ratings: 4,448 |  Reviews: 666

Citra, citra, citra!

A - excellent golden haze.

S - smells very citrusy without being overpowering the piney resinous smell.

T - smooth, excellent through and through.

M - Bubbly, yet smooth.

overall - zombie killer for sure, pleasant aroma, not overpowering, not too bitter. well done PA.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I had a very thorough review of this beer. Comparing and contrasting it with Zombie Dust as I just drank them together and once again my review was lost, that has been happening a lot lately, not sure what the deal is, could be me. Anyway, I will attempt to review this beer from mental notes.

Color: Hazy golden color, very much like ZD in that respect. Nicely done for the style.

Smell: It very faint, I got some grassy notes, there was definitely tropical fruits in there, mango, guava, papaya. Very subtle on the nose not as potent as others. Not a bad thing. I have gotten beers with an amazing nose that taste awful.

Taste: This one does not taste awful. It is truly spectacular. Mango, tropical fruits, earthy grains, some grassy notes in there. Its really a perfectly balanced beer. Its not too hop driven and its not overly malty, its just right in my opinion. I would prefer it to have a bit more bite. Its very smooth, in the mouthfeel category.

Overall: This is a world class beer and is worth the ratings it has received. I think i liked the ZD just a bit more, but barely. Had I not drank them one after another they would probably have blown my mind, and truly my mind is blow, to have the opportunity to try these beers one after another and both be fresh. I have to give a big thank you to my trader friend from Iowa who got these to me. Cheers man! Top notch beer, no doubt, if you can find it get it!

4.79/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Smells like papaya & tangerine. Bitterness is low to moderate with layered tropical fruit and citrus. Super juicy. Would bang again.

4.79/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.79/5  rDev +5.7%

One of the most flavorful, hop forward APA's I've had. The single hop Citra comes shining through on the aroma and the taste...tons of juicy fruit notes which include oranges, tangerines, and papaya.

Not particularly bitter just flavorful which I love. Body is definitely pale ale-ish. Does not infringe on IPA territory in that regard but at the same time it is not light or watery. Seems to be a perfect weight APA in my book....carbonation is spot on too particularly from a growler filled from a keg.

Light golden colored...a little cloudy...nice lacing rims the glass...doesn't look regal or anything but solid for the style.

The aroma is intense and full of not just the fruitiness I noted but it also has a fresh floral hoppiness as well.

As for the taste beyond the immense fruit notes I do pick up some catty notes as well. It was more obvious on my burps after the fact and more distinguishable when drinking when I compared it side by side to Founders All Day IPA for kicks. I'm not a uge fan of the catty notes but am starting to become accustomed to it in more and more beers and it does not bother me as much as it may have a few years ago.

Still, this is one of my favorite APA's going. Highly recommend it.

Drove 1,000 miles from California to get some

4.79/5  rDev +5.7%

This was an outstanding beer. The Mango and Citra hops come thru so incredibly well and they work together in this way I'd never imagine. Truly incredible/interesting taste.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A) An almost glowing orange to light amber body. Poured into 12 oz Tulip and mainted about 1 inch of foam. Perfect amount of carbination.

S) The nose was mostly tropical fruit mango, pineapple with a light hint of orange and a subtle prickly resin on the back end

T) Wow what a super flavorful single IPA ! Huge tropical fruit that gives way to a perfect piney mouthfeel as you wash it down. As it warmed up the fruity notes began to leave the resin and pine in the dust. This beer is too drinkable.

O) Id drink it over zombie dust any day.

4.79/5  rDev +5.7%

Very citrusy hop flavor and aroma! Love the use of citra as the lone hop variety. Kinda cloudy throughout.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a fine beer - many thanks to my pal Parris. Poured from a can dated the last week of February, so only 5 weeks old. I considered letting it celebrate its first birthday, but I'm selfish. Poured a copper-orange color - nice head. Love the tropical smell, and it carries into the taste - almost like a grapefuit with a nice malt balance. Was expecting a hop blast but didn't get it.....which is a nice change. Shouldn't forget this is an APA.
I am on a roll with top quality beers lately.....might be time to find a Molson Ice to bring me back to my roots

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Big thanks to Jon for this one. 22oz. bottle into a Heady Topper stemless snifter.

Pours a big2 finger frothy white head with great retention. Beer is a clear pale orange. Lacing is thick and layered with excellent stick. Really nice.

Nose is citrus, pine and cane sugar. Dank apricot and papaya hop bitterness too. Great aroma from a pale ale!

Opens citrus and cane sugar sweetness. Papaya, mango and other tropical fruit hoppiness come in towards the middle complemented by a sappy bitterness. More tropical fruit with just the slightest bit of resin at the end. Finishes tropical fruit sweetness. Cane sugar and citrus aftertaste. I can't see how this gets better.

Light bodied with ample carbonation. Smooth and light in the mouth and crisp and clean going down. Finishes clean with slightly lingering aftertaste. Excellent.

This is the best pure pale ale I've ever had not made by Hill Farmstead. Excellent all the way around.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

App. - Cloudy orange pour with a finger of white head on top. Lots of lacing and a bubbly top.

Smell - Citrus. Heavy on orange with a lot of tropical fruit.

Taste - Excellent! The hops come through big time. Tons of fruit.

Mouth. - A bit heavy but very drinkable. Also excellent.

Over. - This has to be one of my favorites. I'm always excited when I see it on the shelf. Seriously, one of the best pale ales I've ever had.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75