PseudoSue | Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

PseudoSuePseudoSue

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States
tgbrews.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

This single hop ale showcases the Citra hop. Named for the largest T-rex fossil ever discovered, she roars with ferocious aromas of grapefruit, citrus, mango and evergreen. Delicate in body with a mild bite in the finish.

Added by emerge077 on 08-17-2011

#82

Ratings: 4,574 |  Reviews: 686
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my favorite beers. A great aroma of citrus, pineapple, and grapefruit hits you right from the start. You also get a hint of pine. The hype for this beer is well deserved. TG did an amazing job with this, and I can't wait to see production increase. The only drawback is the availability.

4.79/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Small pour, about 4 oz, given to me by stillmatic2232. Thanks for the opportunity, man.

Pours a very hazy golden orange, almost like honey. Small half inch head. Not a big enough glass, or substantial enough pour, for any lacing to really form.

One of the cleanest, purest hop aromas I've ever stuck my nose in. Citrus, citrus, citrus.

Tastes amazing. One of the best pale ales I've ever tried. Tons of pineapple, orange rind, lemon, grapefruit. Mild hop bitterness keeps me happy.

Medium bodied, crisp, well carbonated.

I NEED more Toppling Goliath in my life. This is the first one by them I've tried, and I'm hungry for more.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Pours a clear gold with orange hues and a three finger head of tight white bubbles that leaves generous amounts of lacing. Quite pretty to look at!

S- The aroma is incredible! Huge tropical fruit and sweet citrus notes! Mango and tangerine dominate, with lemon zest, grapefruit, pineapple, and peach also playing big roles. A touch of pine, caramel and pale malt backbone rounds this out. Perfection!

T- The taste is juicy, as expected. The flavors are more subdued than the aroma, but still there is plenty of mango, peach, and tangerine dancing on my tongue to make me quite happy! Only a mild hop bitterness, and a healthy dose of pale and caramel malts balance this quite well. Maybe a bit cloying as it warms, but not too much.

M- The mouthfeel is juicy, smooth and somewhat full for an APA. I would like slightly more carbonation.

O- Overall this is the best APA I've had to date, and it contends w/ the top DIPAs out there!

Citra, citra, citra!

A - excellent golden haze.

S - smells very citrusy without being overpowering the piney resinous smell.

T - smooth, excellent through and through.

M - Bubbly, yet smooth.

overall - zombie killer for sure, pleasant aroma, not overpowering, not too bitter. well done PA.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I had a very thorough review of this beer. Comparing and contrasting it with Zombie Dust as I just drank them together and once again my review was lost, that has been happening a lot lately, not sure what the deal is, could be me. Anyway, I will attempt to review this beer from mental notes.

Color: Hazy golden color, very much like ZD in that respect. Nicely done for the style.

Smell: It very faint, I got some grassy notes, there was definitely tropical fruits in there, mango, guava, papaya. Very subtle on the nose not as potent as others. Not a bad thing. I have gotten beers with an amazing nose that taste awful.

Taste: This one does not taste awful. It is truly spectacular. Mango, tropical fruits, earthy grains, some grassy notes in there. Its really a perfectly balanced beer. Its not too hop driven and its not overly malty, its just right in my opinion. I would prefer it to have a bit more bite. Its very smooth, in the mouthfeel category.

Overall: This is a world class beer and is worth the ratings it has received. I think i liked the ZD just a bit more, but barely. Had I not drank them one after another they would probably have blown my mind, and truly my mind is blow, to have the opportunity to try these beers one after another and both be fresh. I have to give a big thank you to my trader friend from Iowa who got these to me. Cheers man! Top notch beer, no doubt, if you can find it get it!

4.79/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Smells like papaya & tangerine. Bitterness is low to moderate with layered tropical fruit and citrus. Super juicy. Would bang again.

4.79/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.79/5  rDev +6%

One of the most flavorful, hop forward APA's I've had. The single hop Citra comes shining through on the aroma and the taste...tons of juicy fruit notes which include oranges, tangerines, and papaya.

Not particularly bitter just flavorful which I love. Body is definitely pale ale-ish. Does not infringe on IPA territory in that regard but at the same time it is not light or watery. Seems to be a perfect weight APA in my book....carbonation is spot on too particularly from a growler filled from a keg.

Light golden colored...a little cloudy...nice lacing rims the glass...doesn't look regal or anything but solid for the style.

The aroma is intense and full of not just the fruitiness I noted but it also has a fresh floral hoppiness as well.

As for the taste beyond the immense fruit notes I do pick up some catty notes as well. It was more obvious on my burps after the fact and more distinguishable when drinking when I compared it side by side to Founders All Day IPA for kicks. I'm not a uge fan of the catty notes but am starting to become accustomed to it in more and more beers and it does not bother me as much as it may have a few years ago.

Still, this is one of my favorite APA's going. Highly recommend it.

Drove 1,000 miles from California to get some

4.79/5  rDev +6%

This was an outstanding beer. The Mango and Citra hops come thru so incredibly well and they work together in this way I'd never imagine. Truly incredible/interesting taste.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A) An almost glowing orange to light amber body. Poured into 12 oz Tulip and mainted about 1 inch of foam. Perfect amount of carbination.

S) The nose was mostly tropical fruit mango, pineapple with a light hint of orange and a subtle prickly resin on the back end

T) Wow what a super flavorful single IPA ! Huge tropical fruit that gives way to a perfect piney mouthfeel as you wash it down. As it warmed up the fruity notes began to leave the resin and pine in the dust. This beer is too drinkable.

O) Id drink it over zombie dust any day.

PseudoSue from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company