Love Belgian Beer?

YOUR RATING = None |
PseudoSuePseudoSue

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

This single hop ale showcases the Citra hop. Named for the largest T-rex fossil ever discovered, she roars with ferocious aromas of grapefruit, citrus, mango and evergreen. Delicate in body with a mild bite in the finish.

Added by emerge077 on 08-17-2011

Reviews: 530 | Ratings: 3,832
4.43/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

super foamy head, sticky all over... crisp, clean refreshing hop flavors. nice aroma and super smooth. my first one. have heard about this for awhile now....

4.42/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I think this style (APA) and IPA have so many variables that will cause a review to be more subjective than objective. I live on the West Coast, but recently tried PseudoSue on a trip to the Midwest (Milwaukee) and was impressed. Not because it was just like my typical West Coast options in the category, but because it was different. I think it's important as we accept different entries from around the globe into a category, that we judge them like the BJCP would & not based on our preferences or favorite examples. This wasn't my favorite but over time, I could see it entering my top 10 for Pale Ales.

3.68/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I may be a little spoiled, as I have been fortunate enough to drink a lot of TreeHouse and Trillium lately, but PseudoSue was a letdown. After reading many reviews and finally getting a hold of some, I'm shocked at how highly rated this beer is. Fully aware this is not an IPA, but there is no punch or character to this beer - it has as much body as a bud light lime. Other reviewers raved about how juicy it is, how flavorful it is, etc. but I'm not sure we're reviewing the same beer... Huge letdown for a big fan of Citra hops. Undeserving of the 4.5 rating, as it's not even close to being in the same class as Lights On or Fort Point. Moon Man still takes the cake for pale ales from the Midwest (*haven't tried zombiedust*).

4.61/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Overall a stellar Pale Ale, nothing blew me away but everything was done well. Nice and smooth, easy to drink and tasty. Excellent mouth feel and uber drinkable. Lives up to the hype.

Just a drinker. Im not a professional reviewer. This has got to be my favorite beer ive tried. Show casing the single Citra hop brew just tells me more why i love beers with Citra. Great brew and a must try for anyone like ipa, Pale ales. I love the earthy type of tones it has. Refreshing with a clean aftertaste. Ive only had this is cans and cant rate look as i never poured it out of the can.

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a 6/1 can.

L- Golden color with a thin white head. Good lacing.

S- Solid nose. Strong citra hops. Fruity notes of grapefruit and melon.

T- More tropical notes. Some bitterness on the finish. Kind of a muddled taste, the flavors don't seem to blend quite right.

F- Good body, smooth.

O- This was my first "Florida Sue". It's still a fine beer, but not quite as good as I remember. My first Sue seemed to be brighter with a great fruity-hop blend. At some point, I need to go to Decorah and try the "real" Sue to see if my memory was accurate.

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Iowa bomber, pours a hazy straw yellow color. You can really taste the Citra... super tropical and juicy, especially for a pale ale. Glad I was finally able to try this!

4.61/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can dated May/13/16 into a wine goblet. Pours a golden yellow with a finger of white medium density head that left some ringed lacing. Nose is fantastic, oh how I love Citra! Taste is delicious, very tropical with minimal bitterness. Finish was clean, didn't linger. Mouthfeel was great, not too thin with just enough body, very sessionable. What a great APA, would love to have this as a staple in my beer fridge!

4.31/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Can dated 5/15:
Lovely pale golden pour, with a large buildup of head. Large bubbles initially eventually fall to a foamy full cap. Lacing is present, medium thick rows of stuck bubbles.

Nose is onion and dank notes. Light hints of grapefruit, but a general vegetal impression.

Taste follows the nose, but the onion is more prevalent up front. Grapefruit pith is a little more noticeable than expected in back, plus there's a little pine as well. Overall, fairly classic hop profile.

Feel is light but not too light. Warmth does bring a little wateriness as the carbonation fades, but until then, it's a nice, soft feeling with just enough carbonation to keep my palate awake.

Reminds me of a more drinkable version of Enjoy By or Ruination. That perceived onion flavor, though, is not my favorite. Can appreciate this brew, and will grab another if it comes my way, but won't go seeking it.

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love this beer. My favorite pale ale by far. It has a nice hop flavor which I think is stronger than most pale ales. I really like how it feels on the tongue. Nice bite.

2.78/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Very light, with almost no body. It has some delicated fruity, flowery and citric flavors but doesn't qualify as IPA. I judge it mediocre, dull and got tired of it. Although its extraordinary drinkability allowed me to empty the can.

4.84/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Loved this beer. I'm not going to get too complicated with the review because I'm not an IPA expert, but this had the best delicate aromatics of an IPA I've had - that is, not as much fruity juice or piney flavors, but herbal and flowery flavors. Overall I loved it.

4.56/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy, honey-orange color. About a half finger of creamy white foam when poured into a teku. Like I expected; tons of citrus in the aroma, with a clearly defined bready malt presence. The citra hops are definitely the star here and lots of orange and grapefruit are present in the aroma and taste, along with a pleasant piney bite at the end. Not much lingering bitterness, dry finish. Medium to medium-full body.

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

It is crazy how light and refreshing this tastes while at the same time blasting you with that Citra hop. No bitterness at all in the aftertaste, just crisp citrus goodness that makes you crave another swallow. My only complaint...goes down too easy. Nothing will make you pump the brakes on this one. Damn, well done Iowa.

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Crystal clear pour and forward citrusy nose. Taste is a little underwhelming after experiencing the smell. It's well balanced, clean as ever, and has a bright crisp Citra hopped taste but it doesn't blow me away as I was expecting with its reviews. It's a very good pale ale, one of the best I've had, but this isn't one I'd go out of my way for again. I was told this was better than King Sue. I don't agree.

4.46/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from can dated May 16, 2016 on June 4, 2016 into a Spaten Oktoberfestbier 0.5L glass. Clear golden color with 2 finger head, mild lacing. Mild, hoppy nose that is more floral than piney, slight citrus. Balance of flavor is incredible. The malt blends perfectly with the various hop characteristics producing a crushable yet full flavor APA. Bitterness is contained, while mild fruity hop notes lead. Medium-light body and average carbonation.

3.75/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I've had this a few times, it's not my cup of tea I guess. A lot of people rate this really high, but I'd rather have a fort point ale from Trillium.

4.71/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is such a good pale ale and I wish I didn't have to go to Wisconsin to pick it up every time, but it's worth it. I had this out of a 16oz can poured into a tulip and this is wowzers good right up there/equal with Zombie Dust. This is a well balanced citrus APA that will splash your tastebuds. Good Work TGB!!!

4.59/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 16 oz can into a tulip glass. Appearance is golden, light brown in color with two finger thick head. Smell is pine and tropical fruit (really nice). Taste follows the nose with a nice orange flavor coming through and incredible balance. Mouthfeel is somewhat viscous with good body and relatively low bitterness. It kind of blends the pale ale and ipa styles, and the execution is almost perfect. Excellent beer.

22oz bottle, bottled less than 48 hours before opening. Poured into FFF pint glass.

This may knock Zombie Dust out of the top 5 beers I've had, the 16oz cans brewed in Lakeland, FL are good but this bomber from Decorah blows the cans out of the water. HUGE citrus notes on the nose, complimented by the most delicious fruity flavor. Beautiful orange color with strong lacing that sticks to every part of the glass. I'd even take this over King Sue, just wow. The perfect beer for me. Only complaint is how hard it is to get compared to the 16oz cans here.

4.33/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16oz can dated 3/9/16
A: Light orange with a 1.5 finger head
S:Grassy, grapefruit, mango, pine, earthy - quite complex
T: More of the grassy/earthy notes come through here; the other notes are there but take second stage. Still tasty just doesn't quite match the boldness of the nose
M: Medium-bodied, crisp
O: This bottle is two months old and it's better fresher but still a fantastic IPA

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

All very well and intoxicating sweet taste, with a slight bitter aftertaste, which remains still for a while, after a sip. The color and smell of the same level !!!

4.21/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Canned 4/27/16 (at BrewHub Lakeland). Pours a solid gold color clear but for lots of very fine particles in suspension. Thin but fluffy white head leaves a few streaky rings on the glass. Smell: mango, note of melon, lime, grassy, saltine back. Just a tiny pop of fruit loops goodness a citra single hop promises. Taste: limeade, grassy, sugared grapefruit rind, sugared dried mango. Medium bodied with creamy carbonation, thinning out and finishing a bit oily revealing it's sub 6% APA/seshIPA-ness. This is extremely flavorful.

4.12/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is a great ipa. But we were up in Napa and had access to fresh Pliny when we had Pseudo Sue and it didn't comapre. Pliny blew it out of the water. I will definately drink it again, just not going out of my way to get more.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

16 oz can. Pours in cloudy golden with a large white head. Aroma is citrus, mango, grapefruit, apricot and pine notes. Pretty well carbonated with flavours of citrus, pine, grapefruit, apricot with a clear mango and bitter finish! A really nice well balanced beer.

PseudoSue from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company