PseudoSue | Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

PseudoSuePseudoSue

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States
tgbrews.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

This single hop ale showcases the Citra hop. Named for the largest T-rex fossil ever discovered, she roars with ferocious aromas of grapefruit, citrus, mango and evergreen. Delicate in body with a mild bite in the finish.

Added by emerge077 on 08-17-2011

#75
Liked:
4.53/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,408 |  Reviews: 662

Bad can? Yes, probably.

1.65/5  rDev -63.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

Hopefully the beer I drank was from a bad batch. I'm a fan of a citrus beer but this was horrible! I've only poured two beers down the drain because I couldn't finish them and this was one of them. The other beer I poured down the drain was a strong German Eisbock. The first drink of this beer wasn't horrible, grapefruit, grapefruit, grapefruit and some more grapefruit. There was some hop bitterness on the aftertaste on the first drink but nothing crazy. As I continued drinking this beer the grapefruit was becoming so intense and obnoxious it wasn't enjoyable at all. The aftertaste was very funky and long lasting. I have no idea how this beer is ranked 100!! I bought two bottles to share with two of my friends and neither of them could finish it as well. I was so excited to try this beer and it was a total failure in my book. It's hard to say because this is a loved beer by many but this is one of the worst beers I've drank. I'm going to give it another shot, maybe in the brewery.

2.4/5  rDev -47%

Just purchased today from a place claiming they get weekly delivery.

Slightly hazy gold. Zero citrus or fruit. Mostly floral and dank.

I had it a couple years ago it thought it decent, but I won't be getting it again, and probably will wind up dumping the rest of the 4 pack.

2.5/5  rDev -44.8%

2.64/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.69/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I want so bad to like this beer but just can't. The best part is the look and smell. I like the other TG offerings much more. Have had Sue a couple times now and see it as no more than average at best. Sorry TG. I just don't see it.

2.75/5  rDev -39.3%

2.78/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Very light, with almost no body. It has some delicated fruity, flowery and citric flavors but doesn't qualify as IPA. I judge it mediocre, dull and got tired of it. Although its extraordinary drinkability allowed me to empty the can.

2.81/5  rDev -38%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Had 2 fresh cans with similar results. Not good. Maybe a problem with the new canning process? I've drank my weight in Sue and it's one of my favorites but I think I got some suspect cans. Really disappointing.

2.84/5  rDev -37.3%

Had on tap at tasting, poured into 4 oz glass.

Appearance -cloudy yellow with little head.

Aroma--lots of grapefruit, grass and hop.

Taste-- very bitter to me, almost ammonia-like. Tasted like the smell of cat urine--to me anyway. I work at a vet clinic so this is commonplace smell for me.

Palate--dry, good carbonation, lightly sour on the back of tongue.

Overall, I didn't care for, many other patrons had pints after the tasting. Just can't get over the ammonia I taste/smell in the beer.

3.05/5  rDev -32.7%

Would be good with an orange for more flavor

3.12/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

I've had Sue a few times dating back a few years and always enjoyed. However, I just had two cans that were extremely fresh, and something is definitely amiss. The flavors are muddled and muted. The nose was nearly non-existent even after pouring vigorously out of the can into a tulip. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

3.14/5  rDev -30.7%

3.15/5  rDev -30.5%

3.2/5  rDev -29.4%

ok beer, nothing special. Canned on 10/10/16 and drank on 10/26/16. Not the most well balanced. I'm not picking up the citra hops on the nose like you should with a 16 day old beer. Maybe it's a quality control issue with this batch, but it's the first time I've had PseudoSue. The 99 rating makes me think it must be a quality control issue.

3.25/5  rDev -28.3%

3.25/5  rDev -28.3%

3.31/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Translucent gold, with a large, soft but quickly dissipating head. Light champagne-like carbonation.

Orange rind on the nose.

Flavors of biscuit and crackery malts balance out the hop bitterness very well.

This reminds me a lot of White Rajah. I actually like White Rajah a tad better than this--it's a slight bit more substantial, less filtered, but I can see where this got its notoriety from.

PseudoSue from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company