Pseudo Sue | Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Pseudo SuePseudo Sue

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States
tgbrews.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

This single hop ale showcases the Citra hop. Named for the largest T-rex fossil ever discovered, she roars with ferocious aromas of grapefruit, citrus, mango and evergreen. Delicate in body with a mild bite in the finish.

#143

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 795 | Ratings: 5,160
1.65/5  rDev -63.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

Hopefully the beer I drank was from a bad batch. I'm a fan of a citrus beer but this was horrible! I've only poured two beers down the drain because I couldn't finish them and this was one of them. The other beer I poured down the drain was a strong German Eisbock. The first drink of this beer wasn't horrible, grapefruit, grapefruit, grapefruit and some more grapefruit. There was some hop bitterness on the aftertaste on the first drink but nothing crazy. As I continued drinking this beer the grapefruit was becoming so intense and obnoxious it wasn't enjoyable at all. The aftertaste was very funky and long lasting. I have no idea how this beer is ranked 100!! I bought two bottles to share with two of my friends and neither of them could finish it as well. I was so excited to try this beer and it was a total failure in my book. It's hard to say because this is a loved beer by many but this is one of the worst beers I've drank. I'm going to give it another shot, maybe in the brewery.

2.4/5  rDev -46.8%

Just purchased today from a place claiming they get weekly delivery.

Slightly hazy gold. Zero citrus or fruit. Mostly floral and dank.

I had it a couple years ago it thought it decent, but I won't be getting it again, and probably will wind up dumping the rest of the 4 pack.

2.69/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I want so bad to like this beer but just can't. The best part is the look and smell. I like the other TG offerings much more. Have had Sue a couple times now and see it as no more than average at best. Sorry TG. I just don't see it.

2.77/5  rDev -38.6%

It pours a lovely light orange color with a white head. There is some interesting & ferocious can artwork. The citrus shines forward in this beer. I do notice a canned on & best by date on the bottom of the can. I don't know why this beer has such a high rating I can't get into this beer, it's too bitter & nasty tasting. Cheers! C

2.78/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Very light, with almost no body. It has some delicated fruity, flowery and citric flavors but doesn't qualify as IPA. I judge it mediocre, dull and got tired of it. Although its extraordinary drinkability allowed me to empty the can.

2.81/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Had 2 fresh cans with similar results. Not good. Maybe a problem with the new canning process? I've drank my weight in Sue and it's one of my favorites but I think I got some suspect cans. Really disappointing.

2.86/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Does not live up to the hype. A decent ale - best by date 11/24/18 with floaters. Not bad, but I fail to see what the big deal is and at this price ($12 for 4 pack of 16oz) I expected a whole lot more. Will not buy again.

Had on tap at tasting, poured into 4 oz glass.

Appearance -cloudy yellow with little head.

Aroma--lots of grapefruit, grass and hop.

Taste-- very bitter to me, almost ammonia-like. Tasted like the smell of cat urine--to me anyway. I work at a vet clinic so this is commonplace smell for me.

Palate--dry, good carbonation, lightly sour on the back of tongue.

Overall, I didn't care for, many other patrons had pints after the tasting. Just can't get over the ammonia I taste/smell in the beer.

3.12/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

I've had Sue a few times dating back a few years and always enjoyed. However, I just had two cans that were extremely fresh, and something is definitely amiss. The flavors are muddled and muted. The nose was nearly non-existent even after pouring vigorously out of the can into a tulip. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

3.2/5  rDev -29%

ok beer, nothing special. Canned on 10/10/16 and drank on 10/26/16. Not the most well balanced. I'm not picking up the citra hops on the nose like you should with a 16 day old beer. Maybe it's a quality control issue with this batch, but it's the first time I've had PseudoSue. The 99 rating makes me think it must be a quality control issue.

3.31/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Translucent gold, with a large, soft but quickly dissipating head. Light champagne-like carbonation.

Orange rind on the nose.

Flavors of biscuit and crackery malts balance out the hop bitterness very well.

This reminds me a lot of White Rajah. I actually like White Rajah a tad better than this--it's a slight bit more substantial, less filtered, but I can see where this got its notoriety from.

3.31/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Scents of an off putting sulfer, unfortunately. It was a fresh can also. Very rich and creamy head with some stickiness down the glass. Nice looking beer. The taste was easy to digest. Smooth yet a bit thin. Good session beer but a bit just a bit underwhelming.

3.44/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Finally was able to try this and I don't understand the hype, it was a good pale ale but I've had a lot that were better.
would revisit for sure but no need to hunt it down again.

3.46/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a subtle citrusy, mango-like aroma. As it warms up a bit the aroma becomes very catty. Creamy mouthfeel with notes of orange and mango, I don't get a lot of hop bitterness. Pretty decent beer but not as good as the hype would lead me to believe. It was pretty reasonably priced at $12 a four pack so can't complain there. Overall I liked it, but the catty aroma is fairly unappealing.

3.47/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Terribly, even shockingly, watery. No pop at all to the flavor, incredibly muted. Maybe a bad batch I got? Although with all the changes at TG, it sounds like this beer's (apparent) glory days are numbered.

3.48/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Decent brew, but way over rated. Solid going down, but leaves a lingering aftertaste that doesn't go away. I'll take Zombie Dust and Lizard King over everytime, heck Brickstone's APA is better.

3.53/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I almost feel bad reviewing this beer in its current form, as I've never had it in the 22oz format that was actually produced by Toppling Goliath. I have had it 4 or 5 times though from a couple of different batches since production was moved to a contract brewery in Florida, and it now only shows up in the 12oz bottles used by them. It's a real shame because King Sue is one of the best tasting beers I've ever had when it's fresh and brewed by Mike Saboe. I wish he would take control again of production of Pseudo, b/c I can taste enough there that I know it's likely a phenomenal beer when done right, but the batches from Florida have ranged from a solid basic pale to a drain pour. It really is a shame to create such a universally acclaimed product and then shift production elsewhere and have it slowly eroded...Please fix this beer!!

3.57/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Very hazy look, thin and foamy head, nice golden color helped along by the dim lighting of the room where this was consumed. The nose is overwhelmingly sweet, though complex enough to get the job done. Bright, fruity, and candylike. A very roasty and balanced flavor, which was completely pleasing, though I was disappointed to encounter a quite acrid aftertaste unfortunately, lowering my rating greatly. The beer feels quite nice, bright but not too thin. Overall, not living up to the hype. IPA lovers need to try this though.

3.6/5  rDev -20.2%

Looks med gold, foamy 1finger head. Smell is sweet melons, bit of pineapple juice. Smells great, balanced. Taste is...not like it smells. More piney and bitter hops, really sticks around. Canning date is Nov 16..maybe lack of freshness? Overall it's a good IPA, BUT I don't taste the hype. Also much speculation on brew hubs involvement throwing this off, so I'll have to check it out on tap at Lakeland next month.

3.6/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The bottle enjoyed earlier tonight was from my work buddy Dan... But this bottle is from a great trade with doughanson78.. Pours mostly clear light golden with a decent white head with no real retention... Tropical fruit/melon/tangerine hops and pale maltiness in the nose... Flavor is sorta muddy and the hops are lost in the pale malt.. VERY drinkable, but this is just a good fruity pale ale.

If this was brewed anywhere in Oregon or Southern California, no geeks would have ever given it the time of day.. Pretty nice APA, but Oh sooo standard in THIS neck of the woods.

3.75/3.75/3.5/3.75/3.5

3.61/5  rDev -20%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I love citra hops but I just didn't really get them in this beer, it was mostly wheat flavor throughout. Great citra smell, just didnt come through to the palate.

3.62/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

All aboard the hype train!! Wow, one of the biggest slaps in the face of pure hype bs. Mediocre appearance, smell and feel with a lovely metallic taste. I've had Advil dissolve on my tongue that tasted better than this. Not even within arms reach of Zombie Dust in every facet.

3.65/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L: Hazy golden color, one finger white head, messy lacing, loads of carbonation.

S: Hops, tropical fruits, sour.

T: Tropical fruits, hops.

F: Light to medium bodied. Lots of carbonation.

O: Lower than average. Nothing to look here.

3.66/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I wasn't overly impressed with this, although I did get one of the 12oz bottles that aren't brewed in Iowa. Smell is slightly off-putting. Taste is very much citrus forward, albeit too sweet for my liking. Mouth feel is fantastic and is the strong point of this beer. I'd drink again, but wouldn't seek it out. Quite a bit overrated in my opinion

3.67/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a golden/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of pine, herbal, citrus. Taste is citrus, biscuit malts, pine, tasty, but not what I expected. Feels medium/full bodied in the mouth and overall this is a good beer, but I was anticipating so much more.

Pseudo Sue from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company