PseudoSue | Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

PseudoSuePseudoSue

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

This single hop ale showcases the Citra hop. Named for the largest T-rex fossil ever discovered, she roars with ferocious aromas of grapefruit, citrus, mango and evergreen. Delicate in body with a mild bite in the finish.

Added by emerge077 on 08-17-2011

Reviews: 537 | Ratings: 3,865
4.52/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a tall boy can into a crystal pilsner glass.

L- deep straw with a nice frothy white head. Beautiful. Not a whole lot of head retention. Just a thin circle around the circumference of the glass. Nice lacing though

S- fantastic. Lots of hops in the nose. Pine, citrus, and lots of tropical fruits like mango and pineapple. Smells like straight up citra hops resin. I love citra hops!!

T- I'm wondering why Toppling Goliath doesn't call this an IPA. It's a very hop forward beer. Slight caramel sweetness, but the hops are the star here. Bitter

F- bone dry. Which again makes me question pale ale vs IPA. Lots of carbonation, just on the right side of being too much.

O- I don't know how I've never heard of this until recently. A coworker told me about it a while back, and the local beer store just started carrying it. He tends to increase the price pretty quickly when he knows he has something special in his hands. I need to buy all of these he has before he does that. It's fantastic for hop heads.

4.07/5  rDev -9.8%

Smell: orange and pineapple bomb! Sweet candied fruit and a slight dankness.
Taste: the taste is a lot more mellow upfront slight tropical fruits middle of the mouth orange peel dry crackery malts bitter grapefruit some oniony dankness and some lemon grass. Finishes dry with more grapefruit bitterness.
Feel: medium body soft and dry in the finish.
Overall: really good and refreshing. Defenitly not as good as the Galaxy dry hopped version though.

4.12/5  rDev -8.6%

16 oz can, canned 7/5/16. Pours slightly hazy golden orange with a big bubbly white head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is bready malts and lots of dank resiny hops with a little fruit, pepper and pine.

The flavor is sweet bready malts and fruit with lots of dank resiny piney hops. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, very nice, more like an IPA.

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Incredible APA. Strong citrus and mango aroma and taste. While hoppy as hell, it is also balanced, not too bitter and easy to drink. Very creamy body with perfect carbonation and a dry finish. Similar to Zombie Dust but not as intense (in a good way).

4.22/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 16 ounce can into a Shaker pint glass, "canned" date 5-16-16.

APPEARANCE: pours a beautiful golden honey color with larger bits suspended within, less than one-finger off-white head that quickly dissipated until a thin, broken layer of small bubbles remained, medium carbonation, there is some lacing on the glass.

SMELL: bread, pineapple citrus, flowery.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, initially sweet then pineapple citrus and an earthy note on the finish.

PALATE: medium body and carbonation.

OVERALL: this is an excellent beer, I have been hearing people rave on BA for years about this beer and it's finally available in my area, this beer lived up to the hype, I'll be having this again for sure and will recommend to all my friends.

4.94/5  rDev +9.5%

A bomber with no apparent bottle date that was purchased in Wisconsin by a relative a few days ago. Pouring it on my Weyerbacher tulip for the review.

Look- Pours a slightly hazy deep brilliant gold leaving behind a generous two fingers of creamy white foam despite a conservative pour. Nucleation bubbles stream from the bottom of the glass.

Smell- Passionfruit, mango, pineapple, butyl and a hint of malt hiding in back.

Taste- Juicy passionfruit, mango, and pineapple dominate to start. It opens up to some subtle floral notes and a hint of fresh rubber in the finish.

Feel- On the thin side, but very lively on the palate from the tiny carbonation bubbles. There is a slight bitterness and slick finish.

Overall- A very memorable and quite possibly the best Pale I've had. How they pack all that tropical juiciness in a beer under 6 percent is a mystery to me? The only very minor subtractions from making this a perfect 5 was the bit of over carbonation in the careful pour resulting in excess head, and a slightly thin feel. That aside, world class all the way!

Simple and beautiful. There are a lot of great, fruity, new hops in the world. It's a fun time to be an IPA fan. But this beer gives Citra the respect it deserves. So delicious. A great go to.

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

super foamy head, sticky all over... crisp, clean refreshing hop flavors. nice aroma and super smooth. my first one. have heard about this for awhile now....

4.42/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I think this style (APA) and IPA have so many variables that will cause a review to be more subjective than objective. I live on the West Coast, but recently tried PseudoSue on a trip to the Midwest (Milwaukee) and was impressed. Not because it was just like my typical West Coast options in the category, but because it was different. I think it's important as we accept different entries from around the globe into a category, that we judge them like the BJCP would & not based on our preferences or favorite examples. This wasn't my favorite but over time, I could see it entering my top 10 for Pale Ales.

3.68/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I may be a little spoiled, as I have been fortunate enough to drink a lot of TreeHouse and Trillium lately, but PseudoSue was a letdown. After reading many reviews and finally getting a hold of some, I'm shocked at how highly rated this beer is. Fully aware this is not an IPA, but there is no punch or character to this beer - it has as much body as a bud light lime. Other reviewers raved about how juicy it is, how flavorful it is, etc. but I'm not sure we're reviewing the same beer... Huge letdown for a big fan of Citra hops. Undeserving of the 4.5 rating, as it's not even close to being in the same class as Lights On or Fort Point. Moon Man still takes the cake for pale ales from the Midwest (*haven't tried zombiedust*).

4.61/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Overall a stellar Pale Ale, nothing blew me away but everything was done well. Nice and smooth, easy to drink and tasty. Excellent mouth feel and uber drinkable. Lives up to the hype.

Just a drinker. Im not a professional reviewer. This has got to be my favorite beer ive tried. Show casing the single Citra hop brew just tells me more why i love beers with Citra. Great brew and a must try for anyone like ipa, Pale ales. I love the earthy type of tones it has. Refreshing with a clean aftertaste. Ive only had this is cans and cant rate look as i never poured it out of the can.

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a 6/1 can.

L- Golden color with a thin white head. Good lacing.

S- Solid nose. Strong citra hops. Fruity notes of grapefruit and melon.

T- More tropical notes. Some bitterness on the finish. Kind of a muddled taste, the flavors don't seem to blend quite right.

F- Good body, smooth.

O- This was my first "Florida Sue". It's still a fine beer, but not quite as good as I remember. My first Sue seemed to be brighter with a great fruity-hop blend. At some point, I need to go to Decorah and try the "real" Sue to see if my memory was accurate.

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Iowa bomber, pours a hazy straw yellow color. You can really taste the Citra... super tropical and juicy, especially for a pale ale. Glad I was finally able to try this!

4.61/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can dated May/13/16 into a wine goblet. Pours a golden yellow with a finger of white medium density head that left some ringed lacing. Nose is fantastic, oh how I love Citra! Taste is delicious, very tropical with minimal bitterness. Finish was clean, didn't linger. Mouthfeel was great, not too thin with just enough body, very sessionable. What a great APA, would love to have this as a staple in my beer fridge!

4.31/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Can dated 5/15:
Lovely pale golden pour, with a large buildup of head. Large bubbles initially eventually fall to a foamy full cap. Lacing is present, medium thick rows of stuck bubbles.

Nose is onion and dank notes. Light hints of grapefruit, but a general vegetal impression.

Taste follows the nose, but the onion is more prevalent up front. Grapefruit pith is a little more noticeable than expected in back, plus there's a little pine as well. Overall, fairly classic hop profile.

Feel is light but not too light. Warmth does bring a little wateriness as the carbonation fades, but until then, it's a nice, soft feeling with just enough carbonation to keep my palate awake.

Reminds me of a more drinkable version of Enjoy By or Ruination. That perceived onion flavor, though, is not my favorite. Can appreciate this brew, and will grab another if it comes my way, but won't go seeking it.

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love this beer. My favorite pale ale by far. It has a nice hop flavor which I think is stronger than most pale ales. I really like how it feels on the tongue. Nice bite.

2.78/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Very light, with almost no body. It has some delicated fruity, flowery and citric flavors but doesn't qualify as IPA. I judge it mediocre, dull and got tired of it. Although its extraordinary drinkability allowed me to empty the can.

4.84/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Loved this beer. I'm not going to get too complicated with the review because I'm not an IPA expert, but this had the best delicate aromatics of an IPA I've had - that is, not as much fruity juice or piney flavors, but herbal and flowery flavors. Overall I loved it.

4.56/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy, honey-orange color. About a half finger of creamy white foam when poured into a teku. Like I expected; tons of citrus in the aroma, with a clearly defined bready malt presence. The citra hops are definitely the star here and lots of orange and grapefruit are present in the aroma and taste, along with a pleasant piney bite at the end. Not much lingering bitterness, dry finish. Medium to medium-full body.

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

It is crazy how light and refreshing this tastes while at the same time blasting you with that Citra hop. No bitterness at all in the aftertaste, just crisp citrus goodness that makes you crave another swallow. My only complaint...goes down too easy. Nothing will make you pump the brakes on this one. Damn, well done Iowa.

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Crystal clear pour and forward citrusy nose. Taste is a little underwhelming after experiencing the smell. It's well balanced, clean as ever, and has a bright crisp Citra hopped taste but it doesn't blow me away as I was expecting with its reviews. It's a very good pale ale, one of the best I've had, but this isn't one I'd go out of my way for again. I was told this was better than King Sue. I don't agree.

4.46/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from can dated May 16, 2016 on June 4, 2016 into a Spaten Oktoberfestbier 0.5L glass. Clear golden color with 2 finger head, mild lacing. Mild, hoppy nose that is more floral than piney, slight citrus. Balance of flavor is incredible. The malt blends perfectly with the various hop characteristics producing a crushable yet full flavor APA. Bitterness is contained, while mild fruity hop notes lead. Medium-light body and average carbonation.

3.75/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I've had this a few times, it's not my cup of tea I guess. A lot of people rate this really high, but I'd rather have a fort point ale from Trillium.

4.71/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is such a good pale ale and I wish I didn't have to go to Wisconsin to pick it up every time, but it's worth it. I had this out of a 16oz can poured into a tulip and this is wowzers good right up there/equal with Zombie Dust. This is a well balanced citrus APA that will splash your tastebuds. Good Work TGB!!!

PseudoSue from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company