Love Belgian Beer?

YOUR RATING = None |
PseudoSuePseudoSue

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

This single hop ale showcases the Citra hop. Named for the largest T-rex fossil ever discovered, she roars with ferocious aromas of grapefruit, citrus, mango and evergreen. Delicate in body with a mild bite in the finish.

Added by emerge077 on 08-17-2011

Reviews: 531 | Ratings: 3,833
4.79/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a fine beer - many thanks to my pal Parris. Poured from a can dated the last week of February, so only 5 weeks old. I considered letting it celebrate its first birthday, but I'm selfish. Poured a copper-orange color - nice head. Love the tropical smell, and it carries into the taste - almost like a grapefuit with a nice malt balance. Was expecting a hop blast but didn't get it.....which is a nice change. Shouldn't forget this is an APA.
I am on a roll with top quality beers lately.....might be time to find a Molson Ice to bring me back to my roots

4.59/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Serving: 16oz can, canned early March 2016, into a tulip
Served: 28 Mar 2016

Appearance: Pours a great golden yellow color with a soft one finger head that sticks around for a bit, but not forever. Good carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass. Slight haze, but nothing extreme.

Smell: Very pungent citrus and pine hop smells. Quite resinous. Not much malt on the nose. Very clean smelling, which is refreshing.

Taste: Wow, what a great beer. Very assertive citra hops and everything that comes with them- grapefruit, mango, pine, lemon peel, and a pinch of fresh mown grass. The hop flavors cut across the palate nicely and leave you thirsting for more. Slight malt sweetness but nothing too noticable. Very clean tasting.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium-high carbonation. Drinks great.

Overall: Definitely deserving the rating it gets and very comparable to Zombie Dust. I have to say that this one edges out Zombie Dust slightly due to its awesome format- who doesn't love 16oz cans?!

4.46/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This just came into the FL market under agreement with Lakeland, FL...great to finally have it here. I never had the original, just this newly Brewer down south. Pint can mar/9/16 dated so fresh.
Smell is citrus, mango and some funk, very nice. Taste is fantastic for a Pale Ale as it drinks more like an IPA to me, which is my favorite style. Appearance is typical PA, golden and clear. Opinion: I am going to load up every time I see this. It's a great tropical forward hoppy pale ale that I always search for. This is a good one. Get you some.

4.71/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Finally got my paws on one of these after slight disappointments last summer with Dorothy and 1492. Absolutely delicious with the citra taste killing it. Could easilly become my goto along with Boat and DaisyCutter in the sub 6% pale range.

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

16oz can,canned 3 weeks prior to me enjoying. Amazing beer, well worth the effort it took me to get one! Strong Citra Hop beer, with bit of an earthy note as you drink it. Poured a beautiful Yellow orange into my tulip glass. Produced a wonderful juicy citrusy aroma!

A tip of the hat to the boys at Toppling Goliath!

4.27/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16oz can courtesy of the largesse of @Ri0. According to the stamp on the bottom of the can (love the label, by the way), this was canned on February 11, 2016. This is my first Iowa beer, let alone first Toppling Goliath beer, and I’m stoked to get a shot at it.

Poured into a Boundary Bay pint glass (possibly the oldest surviving beer glass I own, I just realized), this was a semi-clear, golden amber color, with a big, sudsy off-white head that hung about for some time. Lots of sticky lace globs, briefly appear, then slide back down the sides of the glass to rejoin the beer.

Juicy aroma! I don’t know what hop(s) are used in my favorite semi-local APA (Field 41, for those fans listening at home), but this reminds me a lot of that beer. Very bright and citrusy, with a nice backbone of bitter hop aroma to keep it from being mistaken for some sort of sweet fruit juice, plus a little spiciness. It smells absolutely delicious.

The taste is much like the aroma. Citrusy sweet and citrusy bitter, with some bitter pine and spice notes to keep things from drifting off to Orange Julius land (love me some Orange Julius as a desserty kind of thing; in beer, not so much). Nice, restrained dryness at the swallow. This went way too fast.

Light-to-medium bodied, with a resiny, oily mouthfeel that would be unremarkable in some IPAs I’ve had, let alone an APA.

This is a great beer. It’s like a slightly fuller flavored, slightly stronger version of what Bale Breaker brings to the style, and that’s perhaps the best compliment I could give it. Plus, it’s in a tallboy can! I need more of this. Thank you, @Ri0!

4.54/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

L: Pours a golden yellow with a slight haze
S: Very strong hop aroma. Smells of citrus, pine, and spices. Citrus aromas are more subtle than expected from other massively citra hopped beers.
T: Big, juicy hop flavor without the same bitterness of an IPA. Hops dominate the taste with the malt flavors taking a distant second. A bit an the drier side for an APA.
F: Between light and medium bodied. Seems like this one would be quite sessionable.
O: Great display of the citra hops without allowing any unpleasant flavors or aromas to show through. Malt flavor is present in a support role, but the big juicy hop taste is what makes this beer stand out.

4.46/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Canned 12/18/15 and poured 3/25/16. Not the freshest can, but this was a freebie from Tony, and it's a beer I've wanted to try for as long as I can remember.

This beer pours beautifully. Solid finger of a soapy white head. Pretty damn hazy orange color to "The Sue" with a fair amount of lacing. Can't ask for much more out of an APA. Sexy indeed.

Love that citra. Predominantly citrus and mango with a little bit of hop resin that gives a bit of a piney vibe. Nice caramel malt sweetness. Smells great, but it's not "bursting" -- again, probably because of its age. Regardless, I'm really loving what I'm getting here, and in terms of APA's , it's near the top: despite how "old" this can is.

This hits the tongue with a ton -- in a good way -- of carbonation. Very prickly carbonation opens the taste buds to the hops like a tongue scraping from a good ol' T-Rex. The flavor follows the nose with a super clean citrus, mango, and pineapple flavor, with a nice dose of pine on the back end as well. The malty sweetness in the nose isn't quite as prevalent in the flavor, which has this beer coming off very nearly like an IPA to me. The finish is super refreshing with the perfect amount of hop bitterness for the style.

A delight, even at a little over 3 months old. I hope I manage some more of this in the future, as it's one of the best APA's I've had... easily. Maybe not quite the level of Zombie Dust, but it's up there.

4.6/5  rDev +2%

Amazing Pale! Almost an IPA. Aromas of hops and trops. Smooth mouthfeel with tastes of smooth hops and tropical fruit followed by a mild bitterness. TGB!

I had this beer at both the tap house and in the cans I purchased. Incredible beer! The aroma is great, it has a nice color and head and is very drinkable. Highly recommended!

4.56/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a four-pack of 16 oz cans at the Trig's Cellar 70 in Wausau--this is the first time that I've seen TG in this part of the state, so I'm pretty stoked. The bottling code shows that this one is about three months old. Poured right from the fridge into my nonic pint glass.

L: Pours a golden honey amber with about a half-inch of eggshell head that falls after a good bit and leaves substantial lacing on the glass. Quite cloudy, with moderate visible carbonation.

S: Dank, spicy, fruity, and fresh--this one has a really nice, complex bouquet. There are some pineapple, mango, and guava tropical hop notes, as well as citrus, pine, and more "herbal" notes. A bit of cracked pepper and dry cracker malts in the mix, as well.

T: Ripe fruit and more herbal and piney hop notes dominate the flavor profile, which is big from start to finish. The front end showcases some great tropical fruit flavors atop cracker and bread-like malts. There are more herbal and earthy notes that begin to poke through at the front; these take on a more decidedly pot-like quality as the flavor moves into the middle and back. There's some nice spiciness and herbal complexity that emerges in the middle, and this carries into the back end. There are pine notes in the middle that become more pronounced at the close, with the closing hop bitter taking on a more resinous quality. The malts are just present enough without distracting from the wonderful hop profile.

F: Great mouthfeel on this one: it's on the lighter side of medium-bodied, with a great level of carbonation to keep things creamy and effervescent where they should be. This one never feels watered-down, though it certainly has nice drinkability. With just a bit of lingering hop bitter at the close, it's far from syrupy or sticky.

O: I really wish that I had a fresher can to review because I'm sure my review would have been higher. I'm a huge fan of the APA style and an even bigger fan of one of my state's best APAs, Moon Man from New Glarus. PseudoSue has made a pseudo-defector out of me: this is, hands down, the most flavorful and complex APA I've ever tried. There are hop notes in this beer that I don't think I've experienced in nearly the same intensity in any other APA or IPA. This one is well-worth seeking out.

4.89/5  rDev +8.4%

Not by any means a pseudosue expert but I've had it on draft, in 22oz bottles and now in 16oz can within the last 6 months. The cans I'm enjoying right now (canned 2/24) are spot on. TG has gotten a lot of flack for their brew hub produced beers but man this pseudosue is fantastic. Bursting with citrus on the nose. Clean body and such a balanced finish that coats your tongue with citrusy goodness. Such a distinct nose and taste on this. Truly haven't had anything that compares.

Trying to smell this from the mouth of the can, it smells mostly of fruity peachy hops.

Piney and resiny flavor, maybe some molasses for balance, pretty standard well-made hoppy ale.

Pleasantly papery mouthfeel, a tiny bit of lingering bitterness, but otherwise very crisp.

TG nailed this one, I'd consider it a pretty perfect showing.

4.02/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Classic IPA taste. Indeed a very good one, but not one I'd go out of my way to obtain. I don't understand why it's called an APA. It is much closer in taste to Bell's Two-Hearted than to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, my reference APA.

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Amazing pale ale from a 12 oz can. The smell is the most beautiful part with a great hop profile : mango and grapefruit mostly. The taste follow with the tropical fruits but the good malt back bone balance it up. The taste is extremely smooth. It has an IPA profil on many points but it's definitely a pale ale as the bitterness you expect at the end don't come, you've got only a certain dryness even with the good malt profil

4.35/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Clear Amber body, half finger white head. Smell is somewhat spicy, slight pineapple and noticable citra hops. Taste follows the nose with citrus, pine, and spice. Very light bodied and drinkable. Still just a pale ale, but a great one.

4.21/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16 oz tallboy, canned 2/11. A little over a month old.

Been wanting to try this for a while now. Classic Citra hop nose, you know it right away. Not incredibly juicy, but nice. Soft mouthfeel, good for the style. Not much bitterness.

I have to be honest here, I have no idea how this beer got so hyped. I know this is contract brewed in Florida, and the can could be fresher. For now though, I'd take Zombie Dust over this any day of the week. Still a very good APA though.

4.29/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L: clear yellow with big white foamy head
S: big citrus, smells like a bowl of fruit. Very nice
T: again, big citrus but there is slight bitterness in the finish
F: thin and crushable
O: the best pale ale I've ever had. But still just a pale ale.

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a perfect golden color with a medium white head. As it was pouring you could smell the hops. Very over powering hoppy smell with a hint of sweet fruit. Hoppy taste with a citrus finish.

4.67/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy golden color, with a relatively small off-white head. Quite significant lacing as well. Looks the part.

Smells of citrus-laden hops, and exotic fruity sweetness.

Taste is phenomenal in as much as it is both substantive, and constrained at the same time. Subtle sweetness as a result of the tropical fruits. With just the right amount of bitterness from the hops. Feel is juicy, with a relatively light body and low carbonation.

I've been looking forward to see this on the shelves of my local liquor store for ages, and it most certainly did not disappoint. One of my all-time favorites!

Consumed on March 15th. Canned on February 11th. Purchased a four-pack of 16oz cans for $13.

4.1/5  rDev -9.1%

It's American and it's got a T-Rex on the can. I was expecting a very powerful pale ale and it's not. This is a very fruity and balanced PA, just like Sierra Nevada PA. The citra smells good, but honestly I've had better smells in IPAs using citra, like in Scandinavian IPAs. On a blind taste, I would probably say it's a British beer, because it's well done and balanced. The smell doesn't wear off at all though, and the taste grows on you. It doesn't challenge me in any way though, it's just very nice to drink. I prefer to be challenged, like from what I've tasted recently from Modern Times. Is it worth the 4.5/5 average it's getting on BA ? No I don't think so. It's worth 4.1-4.2. In the forums there's often talk of how some beers are over-rated, and this is clearly one. It's a very good beer, but it's not much better than say Sierra Nevada. I remember a youtube blind taste on Zombie Dust, which is the best APA on BA of the last decade, and they rated it something like 8/10, very good but not mind blowing. PseudoSue is very well done, just not complex enough. I would have liked a bit more carbonation too.

4.31/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: nice golden color, nice lacing white head
A: tons of bright citrus and trop fruits
T: light body, delicate fresh citrus taste
F: really coats the tongue well
O: tied with Zombie Dust for the best Pale Ale ever

4.04/5  rDev -10.4%

Drank 3/6, was canned 1/29. I enjoyed this, and thought it was solid, but didn't find it amazing. Not sure if I waited on it too long? Some ales fall off super quickly.

4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours crisp and clear golden color, very "fresh" and carbonated look.

Aromas of a bouquet of tropical fruit. Taste is fruit-y up front with a nice hoppy finish that is not too bitter. Really very mellow interaction between the fruits and hop flavors.

Tastes as refreshing as a beer can get. First pale ale I genuinely loved. If only I had to travel to Iowa more often ...

4.81/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Golden body, 'west coast ipa' type of look
Ripe tropical fruits, citrus, floral, hoppy resin
Taste is on point with the nose. Sweet fruits upfront, hop resin in back
Light mouthfeel but very refreshing
These guys nailed their pale ales....I like (borat voice)!

PseudoSue from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company