Pseudo Sue | Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Pseudo SuePseudo Sue

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States
tgbrews.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

This single hop ale showcases the Citra hop. Named for the largest T-rex fossil ever discovered, she roars with ferocious aromas of grapefruit, citrus, mango and evergreen. Delicate in body with a mild bite in the finish.

#146

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 798 | Ratings: 5,185
4.23/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a medium gold/light amber coloration with a medium, fizzy head. Smell is quite hoppy, with light biscuity malt. Notes of citrus/tropical fruit, with orange and tangerine dominating. Lighter notes of grapefruit and mango. Taste follows the nose, with strong, hoppy citrus fruit, lighter tropical fruit and some biscuity malt. Nice citrus character dominated by orange, tangerine and grapefruit, with just a hint of mango. Very light dank, grassy, herbal notes in the background as well. Finishes with a light bitterness, mild hop burn and a little more dankness coming through in the aftertaste. Medium body and carbonation. Not sure if it quite lives up to the hype, but a very nice citrus Pale Ale with light notes of tropical fruit and dankness.

4.09/5  rDev -9.3%

Cloudy like a New England IPA. Apricot juice color. Lasting head with thick streaks of lace.

Prickly aroma of grapefruit rind and pine resin. Mild (and yeasty) pale malt base.

Drier flavor than I expected the malt holds its own and produces a richer mouth than most APAs. The takes over but never becomes harsh in the swallow. Long, green aftertaste.

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

As far as Citra beers go, I love Zombie Dust. However, this is good too, just not as good. A good beer by TG, canned just a couple of weeks ago. Here goes:

A: Orange pulp. Very hazy and juicy looking. Pours a large head that leaves a fair amount of lacing. Looks good.

S: Grass and herbs mixed with various light spices. These scents are complemented by faint odors of tropical fruit - I can detect a lot of lemon and orange. Very good. A tinge of onion mars the smell somewhat, but this isn't a big deal. Overall, it's very earthy, maybe overwhelmingly so for most people

T: Follows the nose. Lots of herbally grass and spice. Also fair helpings of tropical fruit. Very good, but maybe a tad too earthy.

F: Excellent.

O: A good beer. I think Zombie Dust is richer and more balanced (and with less off-tastes), but this is still a very good beer.

3.57/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Very hazy look, thin and foamy head, nice golden color helped along by the dim lighting of the room where this was consumed. The nose is overwhelmingly sweet, though complex enough to get the job done. Bright, fruity, and candylike. A very roasty and balanced flavor, which was completely pleasing, though I was disappointed to encounter a quite acrid aftertaste unfortunately, lowering my rating greatly. The beer feels quite nice, bright but not too thin. Overall, not living up to the hype. IPA lovers need to try this though.

4.94/5  rDev +9.5%

POUR: Pint can into a nonic pint. APPEARANCE: Hazy golden orange in color. White head that is more of a film. Sticky and moderate glass lacing. Good looker. AROMA: Hoppy citrus on the nose. Also picking up some juicy mango. Great Citra hop profile. TASTE: Light and delicate. Crushable. Taste follows nose but also reveals some biscuit malt. Some dank and juicy elements come through as well on the exhale. AFTERTASTE: Flavors of Citra hops last throughout and reveals some nice malty flavors. Slight bite on the backend but nothing too serious. NOTES: Easy drinker and good looker. Crushable and well crafted. REVIEW/RATING: Excellent/ 5 out of 5.

3.92/5  rDev -13.1%

Pretty good beer, but terribly overrated, in my opinion. There is nothing that makes this beer exceptional. I thougjt Golden Nugget was much better. 4.52 score? Wow!

4.52/5  rDev +0.2%

Sampling a cellar temp 16 oz can poured into my snifter. The beer is part of a trade with @flat_lander. Thanks! Beer pours a pretty clear goldenrod to a slightly copper color. Some slight cloudiness by the end of the pour. Frothy bleached white head of 3 cm foams up pretty easy and fades slowly as I drink the beer. Several very active streams of carbonation rise to the surface of the glass. the aroma is lots of citrus fruit, right from the pop topping on the can, strong nose for sure!
I get mango, grapefruit and a bit of pine in the nose. I get just a little bit of biscuit malt in the background, but it is hop dominant. First sip reveals a fairly light body with fine crisp carbonation. The beer drinks very easy.
Flavor is what nose advertises, just a little crackery biscuit malt and then lots of citrus hops come pushing through. I get mango and some grapefruit with a bit of orange rind too. A little lingering bite of bitterness on each swallow comes through, but no hint of any alcohol. This is an enjoyable and crushable beer. Glad to have had a can, would buy this one again, even though the style isnt in my wheelhouse normally.

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had a snifter at Howells and Hood in Chicago with dinner today for $8.00.

Beer was served golden orange with a very nice white head .

Nose was pungent with tropical and citrus forward hop additions.

Taste was grapefruit and mango over a moderate malt base. Finish had a little pine tingle, very nice!

Mouthfeel was light bodied and refreshing. Drinks like a session ale.

Overall this is a very delightful beer. From an Arizonan's perspective it is very comparable to the Tombstone pale ales and IPAS. Clearly a legit beer!

4.71/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What can Citra hops do? This. I love beers that showcase single hop varieties. I love them even more when they can do something so exemplary. I've had other Citra hop beers that I really didn't like. This one I love the crap out of. Cloudy haze pint can of yellow poured into an Ayinger 500ml glass meant for lagers, foam towered quickly. I had to slurp some out of the top to keep it from overflowing before the can was empty. Fresh citrusy hop smell, stronger than a lot of pale ales I've drank recently. The bitterness is mild. A great malt balance, this beer is citrus juice, smooth. I drank it faster than I wanted to. It was a bit soft and creamy. I love the crap out of this. If you want to know what Citra hops are for, get this. Maybe my favorite pale ale.

4.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Look: cloudy pineapple color 4F head in a Stone Imperial pint glass.

Aroma: earthy pungent citrus, banana, floral.

Smooth MF.

Smooth citrus taste.

Not too hoppy finish. Tart, pungent.

This beer grows on me as it warms up. I usually drink Pale Ales colder. Very smooth, less carbonated approach.

4.29/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

No dating on the can, but there's a date on the cardboard box the 4 pack is in, 3/28/18. Two and a half weeks old.

Pours a murky orange in the glass with almost no light getting through. Two fingers of off-white rocky head. Tons of tropical fruit right off the bat on the nose, mango, papaya, tangerine, pine, lemon and a strong bitter grapefruit. Taste follows the nose, with also some notes of mint and pale bready malt. Everything balances together very well but the taste is not as impactful as the nose. Medium-light bitterness and dryness. A medium-light body that's super crushable but nothing to write home about. To be honest, this may have been a little too hyped for me. An extremely well done pale ale, but not something I'm _craving_ another of, with all the options in the northeast. It has set the table and gotten everything ready for me to try out King Sue.

4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can dated 3/14 /18 purchased at Town Center. Hazy orange color and hoppy/orange nose. Very flavorful with mango, orange/tangerine and grapefruit coming through along with other citrus in a well-balanced way. Easy drinking and enjoyable. Glad that Toppling Goliath is now distributed in Ma.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've been waiting years to try this beer and it's finally distributed in my area. Pours a hazy straw yellow with a thick, creamy white head. Aroma of hops: tropical fruit, mango, grass, tangerine. Medium body, moderate carbonation, creamy. Flavors of tropical fruit, mango, tangerine, some malty sweetness. Finishes dry and moderately bitter. Tropical flavors and creamy coating on the tongue lingers when gone.

4.56/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A fresh pour straight from the tap at Toppling Goliath into a chalice.

Look- A hazy off-yellow with about 2 fingers of foamy white head. Slight lacing around the glass.

Smell- A super explosion of grapefruit, mango, and other fruits. More than a hint of pine and some malts mixed in with it. Fantastic aroma screaming drink me

Taste- Almost exactly like the smell. A very smooth blend with nice hoppy kicker.

Feel- Medium carbonation that keeps it consistent. A lingering fruit explosion.

Overall- The hops and fruits mix for a fantastic NE style IPA. It just leaves you wanting one more.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Just came across a random batch of this at my local MA Craft Beer Cellar but alas, with no date on the can, I cannot verify how fresh this beer actually is; having said that, it tastes fairly fresh and is a very good hazy pale pale; if available, I would drink this regularly

3.81/5  rDev -15.5%

PseudoSue does not need my review to be a success. (It already is successful; having achieved one of the top ratios of BA ratings to high ratings in the APA category, which-- I'm guessing -- is the second most rated.)

PseudoSue's Looks say "drink me", so I did. PseudoSue's Smells say "grapefruit and tropical fruit punch" so I say punch me.
But PseudoSue really doesn't (punch me) because the grapefruit coats my tongue and no other flavors get Tasted. As Toppling Goliath has done, I suppose it is helpful to isolate Citra, so its taste is known to me without the complement of other hops. But the bottom-line is that PseudoSue is no session for me.

I like how Toppling Goliath in rural Iowa had the moxie to partner with an establishment derived from the 1893 World Expo. But me, a malt-head, finds this beer over-rated. I had to eat chips and jalapeño salsa to wash it down. Refreshing? Yes. Great? Let me have another on a hot day after playing tennis.

4.33/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 16 oz can into shaker pint glass.
A: Pours a nice clear yellow with 1-2 inch bubbly white head with good retention (moderately active carbonation continues to fuel it).
S: Immediately after pouring and from over a foot away, mango, pine, mint, and grapefruit hops notes hit. Fresh and juicy. Hint of dry cracker malt. Lovely aroma.
T: Follows aroma closely. Mango, pine, mint, and grapefruit. Hint of dry cracker malt backbone in the background.
M: Light-medium body. Fruit sweetness with fairly restrained bitterness. Nice lingering on the palate.
D: Love the strong hop notes...especially in the aroma, but it doesn't lead to an overly bitter brew. Really nice session beer. Excellent with food.

4.32/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had a can from Garden City Pub, in Beverly ma. Poured into a pint glass.
Very solid ! Glad to check this one off the list.
Now if I could only find some cans next time around.

4.31/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A hazy gold color with frothy foam and spots of residual lace around the glass.

Tropical aromas but with lots of lemon and honey presence. Nice subtle but apparent nose.

More honey, some sweet citrus reminiscent of tangerine with a touch of tropical mango. Not too much of that Pale bite, but a slight hop bitterness finishes this one off.

Smooth, crisp, and very drinkable. TG will always brew some of my favorite Pales on the market.

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

While Toppling Goliath's Pompeii remains my favorite, the PseudoSue won't let you down. It's not aggressive in bite or too malty or overly citrusy, but rather strikes a nice balance. The taste is flavorful, but not overbearing. Pleasant finish too. A very drinkable and likable brew.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Picked-up a four-pack of cans at Bradford's in Plymouth for about fourteen dollars. TG is new to my market. Recently tried Pompeii, which I liked. I like this even more. These guys clearly have it dialed in. Would buy & seek out again.

4.49/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy yellow with a one inch white head that dissipated fairly quickly and left some blotchy lacing. A great citrus aroma with notes of pine and malt. Taste starts with sweet grapefruit followed by tangerine, mango, honey, malt and just a hint of pine. Medium bodied, well carbonated, minimal bitterness, very slightly dry finish.

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Love the IPAs from Toppling Goliath. This one is one of my new favorites along with Pompeii. So happy that TGB products are now available in the Chicago area.

4.51/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is certainly one of the highest-rated APAs on BA, and it's one I've wanted for a long while. Thanks to TG's expansion into the MA market, I hope to be able to pick it up fairly regularly because... it's awesome! I'm not surprised, but it's always good to feel vindicated for personal high hopes based upon the BA community's reverence for a particular brew. In other words: when something lives up to the BA hype, I become further convinced this is the very best beer community on the Internet!

This pours an insanely hazy, nearly-opaque orange color with a dollop of creamy head that seems to last for quite a while before sinking to approximately a finger-and-a-half in my glass. It leaves behind solid lace and some sticky, inconsistent lace. The surface is almost fully-obscured, with some bubbles congregating in small pockets. From what I can tell, this bears a fair-moderate carbonation, but the streams are not easy to notice considering the haze.

The nose here is wonderfully dank and citrusy with moderate notes of sweet tropical fruit, ranging from ripe mango to papaya and passion fruit. Super juicy smelling with complementing pine resin and dank, grassy, green elements that really shock my senses. As soon as I opened this one, I had to put my nose to the aluminum can to deeply inhale and indulge in the aroma I knew this would produce... my response was no less than an audible proclamation of "fuuuuck," and I knew I would be in good hands.

The flavor is chock-full of ripe citrus and mango, with flashes of dankness and slight green onion. Grapefruit rind and papaya crossed with unfiltered/pulp-laden orange juice washes over the palate, providing waves upon waves of intense juicy hop goodness. The malt profile seems slightly dextrin-heavy, keeping things firmly planted on the heavier-bodied side of the APA style (this drinks more like an XPA/Extra Pale Ale than an APA... kind of between an APA and IPA in bitterness/flavor/feel), lending a bit of biscuity malt backbone betwixt the intense hop throwdown.

Carbonation is rather steady, with a finish that leans dry and chalky with a bit of extra hop pellet goodness. However, it borders on astringent and definitely sips more like an IPA than a traditional, easier-drinking APA, but I'll give it a pass because it's just so damn good. If I can get this fresh and often, I absolutely will. So good to finally be able to have a beer I've only been able to read about for years!

4.37/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Drank from a 16 oz/1 pint can purchased at Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA
Served in a tulip

Hazy, yellow ochre appearance. The body was topped by a frothy, finger-tall, off-white crown that quickly fell to swirling wisps and a small halo. Some streaky arcs of lacing trickled down the glass.

The aroma was really hoppy and pure. A dank, weedy quality was quite apparent initially but subsided within a few minutes. Juicy citrus notes took over. Orange and tangerine came through strongest. There was a subtle sweetness as well. A touch malty and honey-ish. Tropical fruits were also detectable. Mango and papaya perhaps. The tropical fruit notes intensified as the beer warmed.

The flavor profile was also very citrus forward but definitely not as complex as the nose. Juicy orange and tangerine notes dominated. Bit of honey-like sweetness in the center. More orange and orange peel on the back end and in the finish. Just a hint of rind-like bitterness. Notes of candied orange peel lingered after the swallow.

The mouthfeel was frothy and fluffy. Medium bodied for the style. The liquid contained a fine, fairly zippy, tongue blanketing effervescence.

PseudoSue is a terrific, citra hopped American pale ale. That said, I am not quite sure it impresses most people these days in the way that it once did. With all the amazing hoppy beers available now in my region, I am curious to see how desirable Toppling Goliath’s pale ales and IPAs will remain over time.

Pseudo Sue from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company