ZeeLander | Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States
tgbrews.com

Style: American IPA

Zelicious single-hop showcase using the Nelson Sauvin hop from New Zealand. Delightfully confusing aromas of citrus and mandarin oranges give way to an incredibly complex body of earth tones and marigolds. This is truly unlike any hop you’ve ever tasted.

Added by FreshHawk on 09-16-2011

Ratings: 1,000 |  Reviews: 134

2.75/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.9/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

The smell and taste of this IPA just are not your classic fresh IPA taste and smell

2.93/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.06/5  rDev -29%

I'm not very failure with Nelson Savina hop variety but it's definitely worth trying if you want to know what this hop is all about. The aroma and taste are unique. Can't say I'm a big fan of the hop but I think this beer was put together very well.

3.16/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Hazy orange. Sediment abounds in this beer. It almost passes for orange juice but does have a brown hue that is keeps it from looking world class. Nice white head dissipates quickly.

Smell: Great for a quick quaff. But there is a hint of some vegetal hoppiness, which I get from straight Nelson hops. Again, just barely held back from being world class.

Taste: Whew. Onion and a bit of green garlic up front. Not at all what I was expecting. I'll be the first to admit that I am sensitive to the onion/garlic flavors prevalent in some hops. But having read through many ZeeLander reviews, I'm surprised that this hasn't popped up more often. It's a huge detractor for me, even though the finish has a nice slip of bitterness.

Feel: Chewy, thick, but not sticky. Good carbonation helps some of the orange julius effect wash down.

Overall: I'm not going to say this was a let down, but it helped me understand how Nelson hops taste on my palate. I can see why Alpine Nelson has a hint of rye in the grain bill, as it cuts through some of the huge, dominating vegetal flavors that hide under the orange aroma of Nelson hops.

I recommend picking one up, as many folks obviously taste this beer differently from me. But I probably won't be buying it for myself, which will leave more bottles for the rest of you.

3.25/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Burnt tire taste

3.3/5  rDev -23.4%

3.33/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not sure when this beer was bottled but it did not hold up well. Solid but nothing spectacular.

3.35/5  rDev -22.3%

Bomber of Zeelander, booty from a pillage-and-loot raid over the border. Maybe next time I'll bring back a quarterback. 22 oz. bomber split with my wife.

Pour is very light golden, light carbonation, light penetrating. The nose comes out swinging with scents that aren't my favorite in an IPA: dankness, earthy, sweet. Really earthy. I half expect to see an earthworm in the bottom of the bottle.

Zeelander's flavor profile just doesn't hit my joy buzzer. The dirt in the nose translates right into the palate, & it's hard to get past all of potting soil. Laying that aside, there are some nice notes. Vaguely tropical, decent bitterness, slightly acidic (acid rain?), ending with an almost rye-like spicey note. The feel is the high point of the beer, with a lovely Slip-n-Slide feel going down. Easy enough to drink mindlessly.

Tried this in the tap room & thought it was a bit off, but I'm just not digging the beer. Pretty good, but give me Sue...which is evidently the Alpha King of Toppling Goliath.

3.45/5  rDev -20%

Interesting ipa not typical to my liking but a good beer.

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

ZeeLander from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company