Mornin' Delight | Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States
tgbrews.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

How do you like your coffee? Try our delicious coffee stout and you'll never want your low-fat vanilla cream latte again. This might not contain a wonderful design in the foam, but it certainly will satisfy your need for a late evening coffee pick-me-up.

Added by Pintofbrown on 12-17-2011

Reviews: 166 | Ratings: 956
4.42/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Strong Maple Flavored, almost a charred, woody Maple flavor to me. The coffee still present after so long, but had a somewhat bitter taste to it. It was a definite must have on my list, and glad it got to enjoy it. Worth the hype, probably not, but a good overall beer I'd like to try fresh one day.

4.38/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours syrupy and has little to no head. This may not bother other people, but this a non barrel aged coffee stout. Just give me a finger nail of head. Hmm. Moving on.

Big coffee notes, burnt sugar, maple, and maybe milk chocolate
Taste follows suit and the beer is sweet. Not cloying per se, but sweet nonetheless.

Mouthfeel: sticky and viscious, syrupy. Light carbonation and creaminess would do this beer wonders as it would break up that sweetness (or at least take the empahasis away).

Overall: a non barrel aged beer that in many ways drinks like a one. It is bold, thick, and sticky. Again, good, but for me, the mouthfeel and curb appeal fall a touch flat.

4.07/5  rDev -13.8%

Very excited to get to try this. Pours like syrup or motar oil with no head. Smell is huge coffee and maple. Taste is off however with a great up front coffee and burnt sugar taste that finished with a lingering sour milk flavor. This off tone dies down intensity as the beer warms but is still present. I really wanted this beer to live up to the hype but it fell short. Not even in the sane league as MBP.

4.63/5  rDev -1.9%

Tried sample pour at Huna day. Friendly folks, those TG brewers.

I didn't get a huge burst of maple nor coffee on the nose, but a fairly balanced and integrated combo of the bottle-listed ingredients.
Mouthfeel was rich and thick. It was rather stunning - this impossibly velvety mouthfeel that somehow manages to avoid becoming over-sweet. I don't understand how that is possible, but I would guess it involves a very judicious use of caramel malts, enough hops, and enough chocolate malts to make it work. It is so chocolatey I almost want to describe it as umami...but there's nothing soy sauce-y about it. Rather, just a rich, full, dark aroma and taste that coats and lingers. Like letting a 72% cocoa bar melt on your tongue.
I can't think of anything that could be done to improve this beer, besides barrel aging it. ;)

4.58/5  rDev -3%

On my first visit to Decorah, we biked the difficult Trout Run Trail and then headed to TG for some liquid relief. I was quite 'delighted' to find both King Sue and this on tap!

A - Ridiculous motor oil pour. I didn't ask but this has to be a nitro stout - dark tan head lingers well in excess of 15 minutes.

S - Chocolate milk, vanilla, coffee, maple.

T - Follows the nose. I would say the only knock is the strangeness of the chocolate flavor - it doesn't taste like a deluxe chocolate bar; rather it tastes like cocoa puffs or maybe cheap chocolate milk. But the other flavors more than make up for that, with excellent coffee and maple notes. The flavors blend together, as they should in a well-crafted stout.

M - Luxuriously smooth with no alcohol burn. Sure it's not thick like sludge but it's thick enough!

O - This was a nice treat after that bike ride. I am glad I got to try one of TG's legendary imperial stouts! However, I doubt I would pay the asking price for a bomber of this ($30+). If you can make it to the tap room when they have it on tap, that is the way to go (5oz for $5). Overall this is a great beer that is quite unique, although I hear some east-coast stuff is similar. I look forward to trying TG's barrel-aged stouts, if I ever can!

First of all I can't believe this isn't barrel aged. It smells so amazing. Huge maple syrup smell but it goes perfect and doesn't make you think it will be too sweet. In the glass it has an amazing body and the perfect thickness. The taste goes perfect with the smell the coffee, the maple. One of the best beers I've ever had. A true pleasure to drink.

4.84/5  rDev +2.5%

'15 bomber, courtesy of the ever-generous Adam - thanks again!!! Reviewed from notes; enjoyed 1/29/16.

A: Thick black body with a thin cap of fast-dissolving brown foam. Minimal lacing, but great legs. Intense looking beer.

S: Pure luxury. The maple syrup is rich, authentic, and perfectly accented by the roasted coffee and the cocoa depths of the malt. The sweetness never becomes overwhelming, as the coffee is always there to keep it from being the least bit cloying. It's the aroma of the best well-rounded breakfast of all time. Amazing.

T: Follows the nose perfectly. Wave after wave of flavor, with the coffee, maple, and malt taking turns impressing. Everything melds into a delightful semi-sweet finish, leaving an aftertaste redolent of maple. Wonderful.

M: Thick and sticky, fittingly enough.

O: Definitely one of the top 10 adjunct stouts I've ever had. If I could revisit one of the two TG heavy hitters from the evening's tasting, though, it would be Assassin.

Cheers!

4.41/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer on 23rd of July '16 and I have to say that it was past its prime. The coffee wasn't really there anymore. The rest of the flavors were though. Still a good beer, but not worth the hype of this moment.

4.1/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Have had three times, I think all the same batch. The first time it was thin and not flavorful. The second time it was of proper thickness, but not very thick, and had very good flavor. The third time it smelled strongly of spicy coconut milk curry, but tasted good still, with well done coffee and maple notes and good mouthfeel.

4.31/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Amazing pitch black color, thick, stains the glass and even sustains a one finger head for a while. Aroma was inconsistent throughout the glass. Sometimes I got a blast of rich coffee with some maple. At other times the coffee was subdued and maple non-existent. Dark fruit is prominent as well. Taste was a let down. Chocolate cake and cocoa are prominent. Coffee is there, but pales in comparison to the richness of the Dos Brunch I had recently. Maple isn't apparent either, but it's well integrated and produces a tiramisu like sweetness. There is a distinct cherry note, possibly from the coffee and burnt roasted malt. The mouth feel is excellent. It could be thicker, but it's still full bodied and smooth. Overall, this is an excellent non-barrel aged stout. It's right up there with Zhukov, Speedway variants, and the lesser Huna vintages. No way is it worth the hype or the price it commands on the trade market.

4.19/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Weird vegetal note on the nose from the coffee, light metallic note on the finish. Side by side with MBP I can't enjoy this. Maple and coffee is great here but it doesn't compare well.

4.91/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I had batch 2. Was one of the best beers I have had. We had it side by side with Good morning. Although Mornin Delight was slightly better then Good Morning the price of admission might be a little high compared to its slightly inferior counterpart. I got a little more maple from good morning but way more explosive coffee from the Mornin Delight. Definitely a great beer but not sure I would give up what it is commanding these days!

4.97/5  rDev +5.3%

Shared with my good buddy Chris K. Split the bottle between the two of us. The initial poor is jet black and thick. No real head forms even with an aggressive poor. Nice strength to the aroma which for me was mostly maple and some coffee. The flavor is a maple bomb but there is distinct and almost separate coffee flavor which stands alone as if trying two different beers at he same time with blending them. For me it was a very simple beer with perfectly applied adjunct flavors. I wonder what will happen with this beer over time but I wasn't going to find out. A must have beer.

4.4/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Rich maple, chocolate on nose but the coffee smell is a bit stale. Lots of maple and chocolate, good coffee but a slight tartness underlying. Very good beer but doesn't live up to the hype due to the hype being so high.

4.99/5  rDev +5.7%

3-5oz pours on draft at the Taproom 5/5/2016

L: Pours a rich black coffee color with a thin tan head that dissipates into a mocha like swirl on top of the beer.

S: Ridiculous. Biggest nose I've ever experienced. You can smell the nose on this beer a foot away. Huge coffee/espresso, belgian waffle with sweet maple syrup. Very little of the 12% alcohol comes through in the nose.

T: Simply the best liquid I've ever drank, period. Coffee up front with a sweet maple syrup backbone. Stays on your tongue. The flavors just linger. Alcohol is hidden very well.

F: This is where this beer separates itself from many other stouts I have had. Thick, chewy mouthfeel that coats your entire mouth. Like drinking coffee, maple syrup motor oil.

O: What can I say? It's the best beer I have ever had. You understand exactly why this is a top 5 beer in the world. I drove 4 hours without even thinking about it when I saw this on the taproom list and it was worth every single minute. A true treat, and a great one to check off. It's a big beer for sure at 12%. If you get a bottle, find a friend and enjoy this one together!

Finally got to have this beer it's been one of my main ISO for years. The best beer I have ever had, so mapley, with loads of coffee. This is my new favorite I swear I came a little during my first sip. Do what you need to do to get it.

Was graced with this gem-of-a-beers' presence at the Ale Cheeser event in the TG taproom April 9th, 2016. It has always been a dream to give this beer a try, and needless to say, I was NOT let down by the experience.

Appearance - Strongly resembles a coffee color with almost an oily surface. Upon swirling, there is a visible delay of the beer waves' crest making its' rounds around the glass, teasing the viscosity of this beer.

Aroma - There should be a "Mornin' Delight" scented candle; it'd be a top seller. Perfectly resembles walking downstairs on a Sunday morning to a full breakfast being cooked and served. Unbelievable.

Taste - The only way to describe the taste is actually sitting down to that Sunday morning breakfast, and enjoying maple sausage, pancakes & fresh syrup, finally washing it all down with a sip of perfectly brewed coffee. Call me crazy, but each of those breakfast items' taste were present on my palate.

Feel - Viscous, but velvety and almost oily. Coats the mouth and throat upon swallowing.

An experience for the books!

4.9/5  rDev +3.8%

Mouthfeel is very thick. Like nothing I've ever had before. The boil for this must be 18-24 hours and a 36 hour brew day total. The coffee is perfectly there, little carb, which is great IMO. Not transparent, even when you tip your glass. The legs fall down the glass slowly. The aroma is a nice sweet coffee + maple mix with roasted undertones of mellowed out fruits. Forget the penny taste, some people don't know what they're talking about. The only thing that could make this better is barrel aging. Hello Kentucky Brunch!

4.91/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - Pours a pitch black with a dark mocha brown head. The head isn't large and the retention is short, but the lacing isn't bad.

Aroma - The aroma is a delicious combination of maple syrup and coffee. The coffee is a little more subtle than I would've expected, but that's a function of the maple being so strong, not necessarily the coffee being so weak. There's a good amount of dark malt as well.

Taste - The taste is a huge burst of maple syrup right out of the gate and lasts and lasts. Honestly, this may be the biggest maple syrup flavor I've gotten out of beer - much more than CBS for sure. As it warms, the coffee comes back with a vengeance and battles the maple, which keeps this from becoming too one-dimensional. If I had to complain, it'd be I'd like a little more malt backbone, but that's a petty complaint.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is super thick with a slick, oily body. It's chewy and plays into the flavors perfectly.

Closing Arguments - Overall this is another fantastic stout from Toppling Goliath. I have to say it's much different than I expected since I thought the coffee would dominate, but I love all this turned out.

4.94/5  rDev +4.7%

2015 bottle. Best beer ive ever had. Period. End of discussion. Pours the blackest black. No head whatsoever. Smells like pancakes and coffee. Tastes of pancakes and coffee. Maple notes come out more as the beer heats. Have one bottle left and dont know what will be an accomplishment good enough to crack it open. G.O.A.T.

Honestly unreal. Worth the hype. Worth the hunt. Find it however you can. It's absolutely mind-blowing. Super dark. Super rich. When the bottle is empty, you will cry, because you may never see it again. Amazing, amazing, amazing.

3.87/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On draft at Hunahpu's Day 2016.

Black, with a minimal tan head.

Huge maple on the nose, with coffee in the background.

Flavor follows through exactly the same, which is a nice surprise. Maybe a little more coffee here than on the nose.

If you're going to do maple, you need to make sure we can taste and smell it. Too many beers advertise it, but they don't actually showcase it. I'm just a little wary whether they are using corn syrup and flavoring to achieve this, or real maple. It's not clear on any of the official brewery marketing.

4.69/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

So much maple you could use this as pancake syrup. This is one incredible brew.. Heavy aroma of maple and coffee dark mocha thick head that coats the glass as you swirl it around. A bit on the sweeter Side from all the maple and sugar used a whole bottle may spike your chances for diabetes lol.

4.55/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Not that big mouthfeel that Assassin, SR71 and KBBS have, but the flavor was as promised. Aside from other TG stouts, this was phenomenal. Big thick with huge amount of coffee and a nice amount of maple.

4.73/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

this was a banger i was finally able to try. my only gripe is that, yes, i want to try this again, but no, i would never pay what people ask for it. for a non barrel aged beer, i put this next to, but not above hunahpu. the coffee is noticeable, and the beer is thick and drinkable. the one adjective i kept going back to was, smooth.

Mornin' Delight from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company