Mornin' Delight | Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States
tgbrews.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

How do you like your coffee? Try our delicious coffee stout and you'll never want your low-fat vanilla cream latte again. This might not contain a wonderful design in the foam, but it certainly will satisfy your need for a late evening coffee pick-me-up.

Added by Pintofbrown on 12-17-2011

#9

Ratings: 1,280 |  Reviews: 220
Reviews by williamjbauer:

3.41/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Yup. Very disappointed once again. These hype beers will bite you every time. And this one is NO EXCEPTION. super bitter. Total lack of that maple sweetness that batch one had. Almost all fruity bitter coffee. Aroma was nice. But man it doesn't taste like it smells. Mediocre roasty stout flavor with burnt coffee tones. And that beautiful mouth feel TG is known for? NOPE. This one is a touch above THIN. Can't believe I let go an FO for this. FML

3.95/5  rDev -16.1%

Bottle from the source. Consumed at room temperature.

Pretty nice beer here, kind of overpriced at $30, but it is what it is. Poured thick, dark brown-black in color, with a small chocolate head that receded to a thin ringlet, apparent lower carb. Light roasty coffee in the nose, notes of brown sugar and liqueur-like booze. Pretty good balance in the taste, smooth coffee, lighter notes of maple candy, some neutral booze...definitely a bit hot, there's no doubt this is 12%. Sweet, but not diabeetus sweet. Suffered in the mouthfeel, which was quite thin, even at room temp, and the higher booze and lower carbonation didn't really help.

Overall this was an average coffee stout. Good, no question, but not great. There are many many better beers out there in the same vein, but with the value this one gathers on the secondary and/or trade market, it's pretty obvious people are going to rate it up to justify the overpricing.

4.05/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Okay so before rating this beer I must say that this is by far amongst the top OVER RATED beers on here. The spot that it claims on the top 250 list is ridiculous. I don't think this is a bad beer at all, just why so high. This beer is my 1,620th beer I've ever had. Maybe the people rating haven't had enough to know what a good beer tastes like? or just fan boys pushing value higher and higher to claim ultimate whaley status.
Shared a 22oz bottle with 4 people and they all agreed
Look - Dark brown to black.
Smell - Okay this is the most phenomenal thing about this brew. Smell is coffee forward with an awesome balance of maple syrup. If it actually tasted like how it smelled it would be the best thing I've ever had.
Taste - Light coffee in comparison to what i anticipated and maple taste comes through decent. Doesn't get to the point of cloying. Big problem is that you can taste the Belgian sugar that they used to get the abv up and its a big turn off taste buds wise. Cheap way to get abv up but also bring a characteristic not very pleasing to your palate
Feel - Medium to thick mouth feel. A bit sticky on the glass
Overall - If you haven't had many whale status beers and you haven't had over 1k brews there is a good chance that your palate will think this is God like. I would say that if I would have had this too early in my craft life that I would be in the same boat as many of the reviews on here say. This is why ratings should only count by people who already know what good beer tastes like and have had enough experience to back it up. Ultimately this is a solid brew that I would never care to try again especially for the left and right nut that I would have to give up for it. If you want to try something with coffee not barrel aged like this that is mind blowing, then go get yourself some Treehouse Good Morning. FRESH Good Morning not passing more than 5 days age and you will see how this brew is completely inferior in every way except smell

3.95/5  rDev -16.1%

This is a good coffee stout. not worth the hype ... feel like a lot of people are just reviewing this high so they can use it as trade bate...

So much maple and coffee. Very little heat. You could drink a bottle of it so quickly as it goes down incredibly smooth.

4.96/5  rDev +5.3%

B3 bottle poured into snifter glass. Rich, black color small tan head. Notes of maple, chocolate and coffee meet the nose. Dark chocolate (slightly bitter, yet rich) and coffee greet the palate and then the maple syrup --- oh my! The well balanced taste lingers on the palate - this is a chocolate donut with a nice maple coating.

4.36/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pitch black and viscous. Oily. My first TG stout experience, and this is what I've been waiting for. Looks like motor oil. Minimal head formation, just a slight ring of tan around the edge of the glass. Looks like it'll stain whatever it spills onto.

S: Wow. Talk about a beautiful harmony of aromatics... Maple, chocolate, and coffee--in that order. Everything's there, but nothing is overpowering. Maybe it's just an illusion from the maple scent, but there's something bready in there, adding to the whole 'breakfast pancakes' thing. Immediately reminds me of Sunday Brunch from Kane... Very similar, though perhaps even more intense. Really pops out of the glass. Excellent.

T: Hm. Had to take a second sip after the first to confirm that my taste buds weren't fucking with me. So that beautiful harmony of aromas on the nose? Doesn't quite translate. Up front, I get semi-sweet chocolate, followed quickly by a semi-rich, raw maple syrup note that quickly succumbs to a strong, roasty espresso flavor. The latter comes on strong, offering earthy/vegetal/smoky notes that really overwhelm the initial dessert-like taste and linger through the aftertaste. It's a little ashy, peppery, and raisin-y, leaving your tongue with an aftertaste not so far off from a straight espresso shot.

M: A bit letdown here... On one hand, I'm extremely impressed by the drinkability of this. At 12%, there is nothing even hinting that this beer packs as much alcohol as it does. No warmth in the throat or chest, no excessive sweetness or cloying stickiness. If anything, it's TOO drinkable, lacking that sweet sugary punch that I've come to expect from these dessert stouts. That said, drinkability isn't what I'm looking for here. I suspect there is a ton of sweetness in this beer, but it's being overwhelmed by the roasty espresso bitterness that dominates the second half of the taste. The weight of the beer is medium--certainly not as thick as a few other less hyped coffee stouts. Carbonation is low but even, non-descript as it probably should be. Again, I don't have any major gripes with the feel, but it's more pedestrian vs. what I'd expected from TG.

O: Tough one. Obviously, I can't deny being disappointed by my experience with this bottle vs. the hype attached to this beer (haven't had previous batches, but have been wanting to try this for almost two years). I'm trying to put myself in a vacuum, to imagine my impression if I'd been given this blind and had no expectations. It's certainly a very good beer with a whole lot going for it. The nose is ridiculous--dare I say almost perfect in it's balance of adjuncts and base. The mouthfeel is good--not thick or fluffy, but very well balanced. But that taste... The most important part, and it's just not quite there. There's a certain smoky/ashy/vegetal/fruity quality to the espresso addition that really overwhelms the flavors and, almost more importantly, the aftertaste. I'm finding that as I drink it, I enjoy the sip, but what's left on my palate after I swallow is not nearly as pleasant. Perhaps it's just bitterness, but there's some flavors that don't quite sit right with me. Notably, the taste has DEFINITELY improved significantly as the beer has approached room temp, but that aftertaste is still there. Oh well. I've written too much already, so I'll quit. But before I'm done, to anyone considering trading for this: seek out Kane's Sunday Brunch. I'd take a bottle of that over this one any day.

4.42/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Stark black with a thick mocha fuzz, a syrupy wave of lace and faintly brown staining legs.

The aroma on this beer is second to none. The maple is so smoky and intense it's almost woody and bacony, doing a damned fine job at mimicking a barrel-aged stout while avoiding Rauchbier territory. In addition to this, there is a ton of roasty, savory espresso coffee and chocolatey malt blasting the nose in waves.

Taste starts savory, almost like black olive but verging again into woodiness with that divine maple and a roasty espresso that is really potent over a medium body with a crisp and actually slightly stinging sweet maple finish that still manages to dry out. I am absolutely, totally floored by the smokiness and maple intensity. The thick feel that develops as it warms doesn’t hurt either.

The smokiness and intensity of the maple makes MD taste barrel-aged in its own right. Compared to Coffee Assassin side by side, this was better by a country mile. I've had a few top-tier BA stouts that had neither smoked malt nor maple in them where the oak contributed maple-esque and smoky-like elements. This just does that in a much more forward manner, yet somehow isn't cloyingly sweet.

I'd written a review for this beer a couple years back for both b2 and b3 but I found it wholly inapplicable to my experience with b4 and deleted it entirely. Batch 4 was a complete knockout for me, standing up to, and even outdoing, a great number of other highly regarded stouts--barrel-aged or not--all of which were enjoyed within a short time frame of each other. I had the pleasure of enjoying this on five separate occasions over the course of Mornin' Delight weekend, and it only improved my impression of it each time, especially after hearing the process of making this beer from Clark himself.

3.93/5  rDev -16.6%

Very disappointed in this beer. Almost no maple presence. Just an above average coffee stout. I think TG stouts are all hype. If you are looking for a maple bomb, try Wide Awake 2016 or Double Stack. Easier to find and trade for, and taste much better.

3.87/5  rDev -17.8%

2016 (batch 3). Pours almost black with a brown head. Aroma of coffee. Taste is big sweet coffee and maybe a lil maple syrup. Mouthfeel is nice and smoooth but thinner than I'd expect. Overall, this was a huge disappointment from what it took to obtain it and the hype. There are plenty of $20 beers that will be sufficient enough for what this beer delivers.

Batch 2 - Honestly unreal. Worth the hype. Worth the hunt. Find it however you can. It's absolutely mind-blowing. Super dark. Super rich. When the bottle is empty, you will cry, because you may never see it again. Amazing, amazing, amazing.

Rating the 2015 release. What an exceptional beer. The smell is a strong maple, with the head being similar to the color of maple syrup, maybe a bit lighter. Absolutely packed with coffee and maple. By far the best imperial stout I've ever had. No noticable alcohol bite for being such a high ABV. This is incredibly smooth. Quite the treat!

4.49/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

no denying this is a great beer, but the hype really does almost make this a disappointment no matter what. i remember having my first heady topper after it was the top beer on this site for so long, and i remember loving it, but also thinking man, i know a bunch of other hoppy beer just this good. this is a really dramatically flavored beer, a big chocolate forward base stout with heaps of maple in it, its super well made, and hides its alcohol insanely well, but its almost like no matter what this tasted like, it wasnt going to live up to its top billing. it came about as close as one can considering the hype around this beer, but would i drive 12 hours to iowa and camp overnight to buy this? or would i spend a few hundred bucks on one via the secondary market? absolutely not. i am a maple guy, through and through, and this does have quite a lot of natural maple flavor in it. the coffee is bold and fresh, espresso intensity, and the earthy bitter nature of the coffee keeps the maple from making this too sweet, although it very much still seems like dessert beer to me. the base stout is tasty, but its not uncommon in any way including in quality, but all the chocolate notes in here are amazing with both the coffee and the maple. it seems at its saturation point, maxed out on the amount of flavor it can reasonably hold in it, but there is a balance in its enormity as well, and its just so smooth on the palate, throat coating going down, and leaving a brilliant maple taste on my tongue. almost has a whiskey character to it, and if i think about it, i can taste molasses, brown sugar, cocoa powder, and raisin. breakfasty i suppose, awfully intense, really well done, but just not quite as epic and life changing as it was supposed to be. is that fair?

2.98/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Most recent version, not a fan, sickingly sweet with an artificial maple flavor. Have liked last 2 years versions much more than this so I'll give it better ratings based on prior experience but this year is rough.

4.98/5  rDev +5.7%

Batch 2 into a TG snifter. Pours pitch black with no head. Aroma is all breakfast. Coffee, maple, toffee, vanilla, chocolate. Amazing! Taste is exactly as the nose. So much maple, toffee, vanilla and coffee. I wanted some bacon with it. Feel is slick and creamy. Very coating. Overall, this is the best beer I've ever had. Beats out GM by a tad. Amazing balance of all flavors but all flavors pop so much.

Call it homerism, but this beer is an absolute heavy hitter and worth every penny for the price of admission. You get a huge boom of maple and chocolate as soon as you crack the bottle open. It is hard to believe that this beer isn't barrel aged by how much flavor they seem to pack into the bottle. The pour is, of course, motor oil thick and it sticks to the glass like it never wants to slide back down. I think the only thing I can say against it is that it is such a big beer and you need to share it with your friends. If you don't have friends, find some strangers. This beer will put any soul brave to slay it down to his knees like Ahab on on the starboard side of his catatonic vessel. Approach with caution, thar whale be fierce in its might and ready to do the Wakey Wakey Eggs and Bakey tango with your tastebuds, bud.

4.65/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

MDb3 had on tap at Toppling Goliath.

Fantastic beer and would drink again, especially if I ever open the bottle of MDb2 that I am sitting on.

Not as much maple as I recall hearing about, but I have also heard that b3 is a tad thinner than the previous batches.

3.98/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This has way too much coffee and not enough maple for me. Good Morning has a lot more flavor. I was expecting a maple bomb and I was sort of disappointed.

Had on tap at the source during MD release.

L- Jet black with thin tan head, motor oil thick that laces the glass.

Smell- Good lord. I love coffee, but I would be absolutely addicted if I could make coffee smell like this. Dark roast coffee without any burnt or bitterness. Maple syrup and a little fudge brownie.

Taste- Follows the nose perfectly to me. Rich full bodied coffee without out any hint of bitterness throughout. Chocolate brownie comes across in the middle and the end is all delicious maple syrup. Very rich, but does so without being overly sweet.

Feel- Velvet smooth. Maybe even chewy?

Overall- This was exactly the beer I was hoping it would be. Having tried most other highly sought after coffee stouts, both barrel aged and non, MD is the king for me. Loved being able to try Good Morning the night before and while a great beer, it is just not on the same level as MD. The complexity and balance on this beer is truly amazing. Well done TG.

4.69/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

So much maple you could use this as pancake syrup. This is one incredible brew.. Heavy aroma of maple and coffee dark mocha thick head that coats the glass as you swirl it around. A bit on the sweeter Side from all the maple and sugar used a whole bottle may spike your chances for diabetes lol.

10 Oz pour at TG yesterday into the MD chalice. Thanks again to the Hop Partol and Clark for running a fantastic release. Here's the notes.

L: Motor-oil black. Coats the inside of the glass which I LOVE seeing in stouts. Dark brown head that sticks to the edges mostly.

S: Coffee. Straight up roast and some chocolate I think. It's hard for me to tell because the coffee is quite strong. You can tell it's going to be sweet though.

T: Strong roasty coffee. Hits like a truck and then fades as it warms in your mouth. This is when the maple comes through. Sweet. Very well balanced. There is a slight booziness here as well that's quite warming.

F: Thick. Perfectly carbonated and smooth.

Overall the taste reminds me a lot of my grandfather's maple syrup. While definitely a sipper it's hard to believe this is 12%. This is everything a coffee stout should be and more. Definitely stands up to the hype. Mike, you made one helluva beer!

Had at the 2015 release. Extremely dark beer, pitch black with a tan head. The beer is so thick that it coated the glass dying it a light brown. Coats every part of your mouth too.

The beer smells amazing, absolutely amazing. Smells like you walked into the kitchen of someone cooking breakfast. Tons of maple and coffee in the taste. This beer is very sweet from the maple, but not in an overpowering way. The coffee notes helped to cut down on some of the sweetness, but to me the maple was the predominate taste.

The mouthfeel was unlike any other beer I've ever had. Insanely thick and chewy. Overall this is the best Coffee Stout I have ever tasted, and it is hard to imagine how it could be improved.

From the 2015 release. Very dark chocolate color with a nice lace. Tried it chilled right out of the keg then let it warm up for 10-15 minutes. The flavor and aroma really came out after it warmed up. Very strong smell off coffee and maple but not over powering. One could barely tell this was 12% ABV until the slight buzz started to set in. This beer was delicious and by far the best stout I've ever had.

4.39/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

No where near as good as Good Morning or even CBS. The maple is definitely there up front, but it fades very quickly, almost tasting artificial, IMO. The finish is all coffee, no maple. Very good, but not quite elite to me.

2013 bottle #57/300 shared on 8/26/14 with some fellow BAs

A: Beautiful, oily, viscous, dark, syrupy pour into my teku with a perfect foam head.

N: Waffles. Syrup. Coffee. Breakfast. By far the best nose on a beer I've ever smelled. By Far.

T: Waffles, pancakes, syrup, sweetness, breakfast. Honetly, this is the best tasting beer I've ever had. And the complexities are ridiculous. Your mouth gets hit with waves of flavors through sipping this beer. I just can't believe a beer can taste and smell like waffles!

M: Perfection. Nice, oily, syrupy that coats the palette beautifully.

O: This is the best beer I've ever had. For being non BA and the complexities that ensue is ridiculous. This is the first time where i was genuinely upset to finish a beer. I need more of this beer in my life!

Mornin' Delight from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company