Kentucky Brunch Brand Stout | Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States
tgbrews.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

This beer is the real McCoy. Barrel aged and crammed with coffee, none other will stand in it’s way. Sought out for being delicious, it is notoriously difficult to track down. If you can find one, shoot to kill, because it is definitely wanted... dead or alive.

Added by siradmiralnelson on 02-26-2012

4.93/5  rDev +1.9%

Is it overhyped? Who knows. This is the rarest beer I've ever tried, and I doubt I'll try anything like this again. Once in a lifetime experience.

2016 bottle shared with 2 others - 5 oz pour

L- Jet black with quick fading mocha brown head. So thick it stains the glass brown
S- Wow... as soon as you open it, the entire room smells of maple, just tons of maple syrup and vanilla
T- Nicely balance roasty malts, barrel and the sweetness from the maple comes in at the end...just perfectly put together
F- THICK, best mouthfeel of any stout I have had
O- Lives up to the hype. Pretty much the perfect stout. Only surprise that maple was not as strong on the taste as the nose, but I think that kept if from being too sweet

4.81/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.81/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2016 vintage. 6 oz pour into the TG KBBS glass. Smells like a pancake breakfast complete with a neat bourbon. This beer melts in your mouth! Fudge fudge fudge with tons of maple that fades to barrel. Sticks around in your mouth long after you swallow. Lives up to the hype!

4.95/5  rDev +2.3%

4.99/5  rDev +3.1%

Great beer, still can't believe the secondary market on this one.

Poured nice dark and thick.

Smell was a maple bomb, can still recall the nice maple smell coming from it

Taste was amazing as well, very maple forward, barrel comes through at end.

Great beer hard to say if its number one for me though.

4.66/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

It's really hard to rate a beer like this. For what it goes for unless it gave me an orgasm while drinking I don't think it would ever be worth it unless I got it close to face value. That being said I will do my best reviewing it. Had a 2.5 oz. pour of a 2106 bottle at a share. Had side by side with some great stous including SR-71, FVM, Assassin, MBP. This is a really phenomenal maple bomb of a beer with some crazy complexity. Maple dominated the nose and made it a little one dimensional yet it smelled great. Thought the coffee and barrel came through in the flavor. Another great maple beer I thought that I like the taste better as it had more richness to me was 2014 Beyond Good and Evil. The mouthfeel is out of this world though. It's a top notch beer and I would love a chance to have the 14 as 2 guys at the share said that was the very best beer they've ever had. On this day SR-71 stood as king in my eyes. Is it worth the price of admission? No, no beer is worse this much, but I understand why people are willing to pay this much and I do understand the ticker mentality as that is what drove me to try this beer.

4.56/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am going to need to revisit all my prior ratings as this one literally does take the cake! With so much hype yet it completely lives up to it. Shared by a great beer friend, 2016 vintage into smaller taster. Nose was simply incredible, super chocolaty, slight maple sweetness and subtle barrel oak and char notes. Thick and viscous pour and close to pitch black. Tastes likes bittersweet bakers chocolate liquefied and infused with rich sweet maple syrup. The maple is more pronounced on the tast and the barrel notes follow. Honestly could have just smelled the beer all night, simply intoxicating. Glad I got the pleasure and treat to try this from the most generous beer buddy.

4.66/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Note: This review is based on the '13 vintage.

L: Dark motor oil that clings to the glass.
S: Tons of maple up front with a tiny bit of coffee.
T: Balanced and maple forward.
F: Nice and thick. Coats your mouth and lingers. Just like Assassin, the mouth feel is perfect!
O: I'm glad I was first able to try this beer shortly after it was released before it became impossible to acquire. It's excellent but nowhere near the amount of money or beer traded to acquire one.

4.67/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Batch 3.

Due to a friend-of-a-friend's generosity, got to try a tiny pour of this for free at a share.

The smell was room-filling mapley coffee. Pardon my double negative, but I can't say this doesn't smell pretty much like a bunch of artificial maple flavor had been dumped into a stout. We know that "real" maple syrup doesnt really smell like this....not to say it smells bad. Just smells like a maple candle or something. After the maple blast, huge roasty coffee. A bit ashy dark to me, and really intense. Likely the most fragrant stout I've ever encountered.

The flavor and mouthfeel though, is more in balance. Beautiful thick, not-too-sweet, complex, and boozy. Maple and coffee shine, though would've liked less adjuncts, allowing me to pick up more of the barrel and malts. I've heard b1 and b2 were more balanced, but I've never had the pleasure.

Would've loved to have tried more than a 1/2oz pour, obviously, but this beer is a fun experience for the nose and palate, even in tiny doses.

4.24/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Kentucky Brunch Brand Stout from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company