Rover Truck

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Rover TruckRover Truck
Notes: Baby get the keys to the Rover Truck. Man, let me get this Oatmeal Stout over, bruh. Ain’t no beer here up in Iowa like it. Bust your big head is what was told to us. Now play it how you say it - I bet ya won’t. I’ll have you drinkin‘ its sweet molasses when I give you what you want. Lookin’ good, doin’ bad, and my nerves bad with it. Drink on up, you know you gonna hit it.

Reviews: 110 | Ratings: 657
4.04/5  rDev +4.1%

Interestingly enough, while we have begun to get Toppling Goliath distro here in PA, two of my next three have come from other sources. This one was part of a drop-off by my local, in-person trader @tone77 with whom I have suspended activity until I CAN get out from under. The CANQuest (tm) has become like Manhattan, a work in process that may be CANpleted the day after Never! 8=(

From the CAN: "Baby get the keys to the Rover Truck. Man, let me get this Oatmeal Stout over, bruh. Ain’t no beer here up in Iowa like it. Bust your big head is what was told to us. Now play it how you say it - I bet ya won’t. I’ll have you drinkin‘ its sweet molasses when I give you what you want. Lookin’ good, doin’ bad, and my nerves bad with it. Drink on up, you know you gonna hit it."

Hmm. This all begs the question of why a chinstrap penguin is at the wheel. I Crack!ed open the vent & beCAN a slow, gentle C-Line Glug in the hopes of finding a CANswer. When none seemed to be forthCANming, I sped things along, creating two-plus fingers of fizzy, foamy, rocky, deep-tan/light-brown head with moderate retention. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44) with cola highlights only at the edges. Nose smelled strongly of anise & treacle! Mmm. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full with a slick oiliness on the tongue. The taste was not as bitter as the nose had led me to expect, nor should it have been, stylistically speaking. It had a chocolatiness that cut some of the intensity of the still-present anise & treacle. Finish was semi-dry & very pleasant overall as I drank it with my morning coffee. This beer would have worked extremely well with some biscotti, if only I had had some inna haus. 8=( YMMV.

Good, on lighter side for a stout. Easy to drink but still a good mouthful as a stout should be. Nothing too particular about it that I can remember, was good to drink it while touring the facilities !

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Unknown vintage; drank 3/19/17 @ the Yarchives.

Brown/black appearance.

A violent pour yielded a HUGE, noisy dark tan head; no lace.

Fresh earth, dark chocolate & mild cream notes in the nose.

Creamy medium mouthfeel.

Cream & dark chocolate flavors up front; fresh earth notes on the finish.

Tastes more like a sweet stout than an oatmeal stout to me; mild & pleasant all the same.

3.92/5  rDev +1%

Bought in MA, has a canned on date of 3/01/18 which seems a little old. Pours with a tight, tan head that dissipates slowly to a thin lingering ring. Aroma of dark fruit, hints of chocolate. Still tastes pretty good despite the canning date. Not overly sweet with flashes of cacao, vanilla, a slight char. Mouthfeel is on the thinner side but still decent. Overall, I enjoyed this and would like to try a more recently canned version to see the difference.

3.92/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Love a good oatmeal stout, esp on a cool Autumn afternoon, canned 3/01/18, wow kinda old, but literally just got this at the store a few days ago, so must have been pretty old by the time we got it in MA

Pours a nice darker creamy thick 1 finger head that fades at a med pace, nice lacing, jet black beer

Nose lots of creamy milk chocolate, chocolate syrup and cocoa, caramel, some roast and a bit of coffee, faint spicy hop

Taste is nice and rich, creamy oats, lots of thick chocolate, chocolate syrup and a little fudgey, caramel, burnt lactose into mild coffee and some roast, touch biscuity, burnt flavors on the back end and touch of hop bitterness, sticky sweet finish

Mouth is fuller rich creamy bod, nice and lush

Overall meh, way too much like chocolate syrupy and burnt flavors, not enough robustness with all that, and just kinda meh in general, and I don't think that's the age, I think that's the beer

Addendum, fresher can.
More coffee and roasty, cocoa and less syrup, creamy oats, some chocolate syrup, little burnt roast. Better than original review but still doesn't wow me

3.71/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

L — Pours a nice black body that allows some light to pass through the edges. Two fingers of light brown head produced with moderate pour. Some retention and lacing
S — Cacao powder, coffee, roasted barley, brown bread, hazelnut, almond skin, toasted coconut
T — Roasty chocolate and coffee flavors alongside a mildly molasses-sweet malt backbone. Hint of smoke and earthy hop
F — Nice smooth mouthfeel thanks to the oats, but feels quite watery, even given the ABV. Medium- mouthfeel, medium carb.
O — Decent offering at a very fair price of $10/4-pack of 16oz cans. Good dark daily drinker that will not wow you nor wow your wallet. Can’t get over the pricing disparity between TG’s canned offerings (some of the best value beer in distro currently in MA) and bottled offerings (some of the worst value, with the sole exception of King Sue and maybe Sosus)

75/100

4.04/5  rDev +4.1%

Toppling Goliath Rover Truck, 5.7% ABV, 35 IBU. Pours black with a nice two finger brown head which left no lacing. Not picking up much aroma other than vague sweetness, and taste is a bit of sweet moleasses with only slight bitterness. Very nice smooth and thick mouthfeel owing to the oats, overall outstanding.

3.84/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dirty brown and fair amount of transparency in the glass.

Chocolate, toffee, and caramel notes.

Molasses, caramel, and chocolate.

Medium-full bodied, medium-high carbonation, nice and smooth carbonation.

Overall, nothing to write home about, but certainly worth trying.

3.59/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 16 oz can into shaker pint glass.
A: Pours a nice dark brown with 1/2 inch bubbly tan head that quickly recedes.
S: Dark caramel malt, oatmeal, and grain. Hints of smoky wood and tobacco.
T: Mild dark caramel malt, soft oatmeal, smoky wood, and sweet tobacco.
M: Light body. Sweet malt notes.
D: An above average brew, but certainly not outstanding. Some interesting malt characteristics, but mostly meh. TG's hoppy beers are much better...

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Dark body, opaque, not quite lack, with red highlights, and a short tan head, fading quickly.

S - Strong roasted malt, a snap of chocolate and a bit of coffee.

T - Malts full of dark bread and chocolate, a bit of acidity and coffee.

M - Brisk, mild carbonation, moderate feel, slight dryness in the close.

O - Lovely beer, very nice, coffee and chocolate.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Scored a can of this on my most recent trip to Wisconsin. I believe acquired in Milwaukee at Airport Liquors in their mix and match 6 pack section. Always a wise move to have those, you get turned on to so many new beers that way.

Anyways, this pours a hearty black oatmeal stout, my mind roamed back twenty years to when one of the only comparable points was Anderson Valley's Oatmeal Stout. Well this, looks pretty much like that, and that was one sexy oatmeal stout. Almost a full inch of beige head on this one. Adjunct (other than oats I guess) free aroma.

Taste is actually milder than I thought, this is one of those daily smooth bangers. The roastiness of the malt is tempered, the bitterness as well. Really impressed with that. I wonder if this score would be higher had I consumed this in January instead of July. Anyways, no frills mild sugar free chocolate malt oatmeal creaminess here.

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

16 oz can, born on 07/08/16, well over a year ago, but heard it is still good..- Pours black with a mocha colored medium head. Aroma is berries, roasted malts, toffee, caramel. The taste is roasted malts, creamy, chocolate malt balls, the oatmeal really mellows things out, seems like a bigger beer than it is, flavors of an impy, interestingly complex, and i agree, it holds up well. Thanks bro.

3.19/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A 4 pack of 16 fl oz cans ran me $9.99 USD at a Binny's in Chicago, IL. Brief impressions below:

"Oatmeal stout." "Live beer."

APPEARANCE: Gorgeous khaki colour head. Robust and creamy, with a soft overall appearance and above average retention (~4 minutes).

Body is an opaque black.

Appears well-carbonated and looks true to style. Definitely well above average for an Oatmeal Stout, with its head colour and consistency helping to set it apart from the pack.

AROMA: Dark malts, specialty chocolate malts, creamy notes, hazelnut, nougat, faint roast. Appropriately sweet.

No overt hop aromatics or yeasty aromatics are present, but it seems aptly attentuated for the style. I find no off-notes and it isn't boozy based on the aroma.

Aromatic intensity is moderate.

TASTE & TEXTURE: Hints of hershey's chocolate syrup mingle with sweet dark malts and specialty chocolate malts to good effect, but the beer's mouthfeel - while smooth and wet as one would expect in an Oatmeal stout - is a bit too sticky, syrupy, and weighty on the palate given the relative lack of depth of flavour.

No hop flavours or yeasty flavours are present. A biteen too sweet, in my opinion. Caramel, nougat, maybe nutella-like hazelnut sweetness.

Well-carbonated. Full-bodied. Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, harsh, rough, or scratchy. Unrefreshing.

An overt roasted barley presence would help curtail the beer's problematic sweetness and would help dry out the mouthfeel a bit. Charred/burnt sugars could help, as might earthy or roasty coffee additive.

OVERALL: Certainly a competent Oatmeal Stout, but at $2.50 can I'm not sure it's worth it; I'd sooner have Stockyard Oatmeal Stout from Trader Joe's for far less when buying beer in the U.S. Nevertheless, it's drinkable and enjoyable fare...there just isn't anything unique or special about it. Won't dazzle those drinkers familiar with great English/British expressions of the style, but I'm glad I got to try it once and there are no obvious faults - just shortcomings. Depth of flavour could be improved and it could use some dialing in balance-wise.

C+ (3.19) / ABOVE AVERAGE

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16 oz can into a pint glass

Given I grew up in Seattle and never lived far from Seattle/San Fran/San Diego metro areas, not really gettin the good ol' boy marketing, but it makes me laugh so I guess that's good.

As for the beer, traditional outmeal stout in color, light in viscosity (not surprising given the low ABV) with a thin wispy head that disappears as I finish the pour.

Aromas of toasty grain and unsweetened cocoa, molasses and tobacco and chocolate on the palate.

Light-bodied complexion, matching its soda-like appearance. Kinda of an Irish stout dressed up as an outmeal stout, but it's drinkable and pretty damn tasty. Don't get a lot of TG out here, and I wouldn't trade for this, but I'll grab a 4-pack when I see this again (and like 4 cases of Pseudo).

3.97/5  rDev +2.3%

I believe I bought a 4pck of this downstate Illinois....or at Binnys in Plainfield. I can't remember. It poured an opaque dark with no head and no lace. The scent had hints of chocolate. The taste was nicely balanced and easy to drink with milk chocolate presence. The mouthfeel was medium in body with smooth carbonation. Overall it was a good stout....impressed with the body for a 5% abv stout.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 16oz can into Spiegelau Stout Glass. Canned on April 17th 2017.

L: Black, ruby edges when held up to the light. Two finger tan head. Good retention.

S: Chocolate, oats, wood smoke, sherry, coffee, and maybe some sweet lactose?

T: Initially this is comprised of chocolate with a surprisingly early note of wood smoke. Sherry comes next, mixed well with black licorice. Then the bittersweet chocolate and cocoa. Quite unique and nicely done.

F: I have always loved the feel of an oatmeal stout. Super smooth and creamy, crisp carbonation. Medium body.

O: I first tried Toppling Goliath's CC and it was disappointing knowing that they make the best beer according to BA's top 250. However this stout definitely reels them back into a good brewery in my honest opinion of what I have tried from them.

3.74/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours black with a thin foamy tan head that dissipates. No lacing, and looks thin. Smells of roasted coffee and chocolate, and has a soy like sweetness thing going on. Tastes similar, with a syrupy sweetness. Feel is very thin and watered down, low carbonation, and on the sweet side of the spectrum but not too sweet. Overall, I thought this was an OK oatmeal stout, but not one that I will be seeking out again. Cheers!

3.84/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark brown, near black. Weak head with minimal lacing. Nice, roasted, rustic, subtly spicy aroma. Roasted malt palate with big licorice notes. Subtle molasses sweetness. Medium body. Slightly flat. Oat and wheat texture. Pretty standard but solid. I really enjoy the licorice notes.

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

16 ounce can poured into a pint glass

A: Has no carbonation, no head development, pours black with slight brown edges when held up to the light, no lacing.

A: Nice aroma of dark roasted malts and coffee, dark chocolate, oats, semi-sweet lactose aroma, smells promising.

T: Like the nose there are notes of dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, and coffee, moderate amount of bitterness, finish is smooth and creamy, aftertaste is of dark roasted malts and coffee.

M: Very low carbonation, beer is flat, finish has a semi-dry coffee like finish.

O: This is really disappointing, must have got a bad can, but there is no carbonation at all, beer is flat, nice aroma and a decent taste but the mouthfeel is definitely disappointing due to the lack of carbonation.

3.46/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Moderate pour yields a 3/4 inch tan head that dissipates to a tiny ring soon thereafter over a dark brown body. Nose of chocolate and slight roasted malts. Taste follow nose. A bit underwhelming. Feel is OK and overall, glad to try the Florida Toppling Goliath offering, also solidifying my distaste for contract brewing. Boom!

3.66/5  rDev -5.7%

Served from 16 oz. can into glass at 56 F at home. Pours black in color with short lived caramel colored head. Subtle toasted malt aroma. Low carbonation. Smoother mouthfeel than expected. Medium bitterness. Caramelized toasty flavor with hints of coffee and chocolate.

4.04/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 16 oz can at the St. Paul Grill, St. Paul, MN

Pours an absolutely fabulous, opaque (as in ZERO light) nearly black with a strong foamy two-inch head. This is one of the best looking stouts I've ever seen.

Aroma is complex but disappointing in its understatement. Coffee, chocolate, burnt toast from the oats, and brown sugar/blackstrap present--I just wish I didn't have to work so hard to smell them.

The taste is everything the smell promised, but with more pronouncement. Coffee and chocolate at the very front, and very firm, with smoky and burnt-grain notes in mid-stream and then--just a touch of hoppy bitterness at the end. Not bitterness, per se, just a nice bite. It provides a nice balance.

The mouthfeel was surprisingly thin, given the look and taste. It has a nice hoppy light finish, but seemed pretty medium to thin bodied for the style.

One of the best beers I've ever had from a can and one I will seek out again.

3.52/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 oz can poured into pint glass.
A: pours a dark slight reddish brown body, chocolate milk foam head that dissipates quickly, carbonation
S: molasses, caramel, coffee, slight earthy hop aroma
T: oatmeal, sweet molasses, caramel, strong black coffee, malt that gives a chewy feel,
O: good brew, glad I tried, I prefer their ipa brews more!

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours black with one finger khaki head.
The aroma is dominated by dark roast. There is some chocolate coming through beneath it.
Tastes dark and rich with a nice ashiness on the finish. The flavor is sweet malts with a nice roasty bitterness coming through mid palate to finish.
The mouthfeel is perfect for the style, it's light enough to be drinkable but thick enough to fill the mouth with flavor.
Overall it's solid, there are probably options just as good in your area so I would go out of my way.

3.52/5  rDev -9.3%

16 OZ can
Served in a snifter

This beer pours black in color and is topped by less than an inch of mocha head that leaves no lacing.

The smell is roasted malt, chocolate, and light notes of black coffee.

The taste is very similar to the smell. It starts out with roasted malt. Then I get some milk chocolate with a bitter coffee finish.

Full mouthfeel

I made a recent trip to Iowa. I must say that I was disappointed in all of the Toppling Goliath beers that I tried. I bought this to have at home. It is okay, but I thought Toppling Goliath would be some great tasting experience. It is an average milk stout made in Florida. I am glad that I did not go two and a half hours out of my way to check out the taproom.

Rover Truck from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company