Sosus | Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States
tgbrews.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

In his most notable mosaic work, Sosus of Pergamon depicts doves sunning atop a golden chalice. The image was said to be so enticing that real birds flew into it while trying to reach their stone companions. This single-hop showcase is inspired by the beauty of divinity of the Sosus mosaics. Just as the doves discovered their golden nectar, discover the irresistible nature of the Mosaic hop.

100+ IBU

Added by nickapalooza86 on 05-05-2013

Reviews: 139 | Ratings: 1,242
Reviews by Stevedore:
4.52/5  rDev +0.7%

22oz bomber from the 2013 bottling aka super fresh- probably one week old, poured into a FFF teku and quaffed with a friend on 5/5/2013.

Aroma: Holy shit. This beer is full of citrus, pine and floral hoppiness. No question about it, this is awesome. Tons of grapefruit with a smattering of pine and floral scents. I also even smell some honey'd biscuits. The nose is super strong and complex. Excellent!

Colour: Clear, light amber body that pours with a thick 3cm head in my Teku glass. Awesome. It leaves a TON of lacing. It's probably the most laced up beer I've had in the last 3 months. Excellent. It's also got a thick white film and collar on top of the brew. Its certainly an appeziting beer.

Flavour: This is where the money is. Tons of grapefruit, orange zest, pine cones and floral scents up front. There's also the sweet honey maltiness. If there's one beer that definitely has honey biscuits, this is it. Lots of toffee, honey and breadiness. This is a sensory overload of different hoppiness and maltiness. Excellent.

Mouthfeel: Thicker medium bodied brew. Excellent carbonation! Smooth, resinous finish that's strangely dry and refreshing at the same time. Aftertaste is full of citrus and honey, more so than the pine and floral hoppiness. Awesome.

Overall: Holy shit, this could be one of the best DIPAs I've had in a while. We drank this after an Enjoy By 5.17.13 and this is definitely heads and tails above the Enjoy By. It's truly an excellent, complex brew that is a pleasure to quaff. No question about it, Toppling Goliath is the real deal.

Re-review; 650ml bottle of the first release of the bottle since Mike left. Served in a TG snifter 5/6/2015.

Lighter golden-yellow body, hazy, half finger white head, not much retention, thin collar, splotches of lacing. Smells primarily of sweet citrus, plenty of caramel, a fair bit of resin. Not as interesting as it used to be, to be honest. Flavour is primarily caramel, bitter resin, a bit of citrus and grapefruit, mild booziness. It does not deliver the trademark juiciness that TG has become known for, quite disappointing. Mouthfeel is medium, good carbonation, although quite bitter on the finish with a fair bit of pine. Overall, a drastic change when I compare my tasting notes to the one I wrote above, 2 years ago. They have a long road ahead to getting back to where they were when Mike Saboe was brewmaster.

3.58/5  rDev -20.3%

Did not live up to hype. I love mosaic and this didn't give me much of it. Generally a disappointment...and was high on my "wants" list.

Appearance: A gorgeous straw bail color with a finger of white head and nice lacing.
Smell: An instant reminder of my favorite beer of the year by Indeed Brewing: LET IT RIDE. A mosaic hop beer where they use four pounds per barrel. It's the perfect balance between citrus, a slight tropical sweetness, and a clean finish with some classic midwest dankness. Juicy, but not as much as King Sue, which really makes it even more amazing. One of my favorite DIPA'S alongside let it ride, scream, king sue, sucks.

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great beer. Clear golden brew with nice lacing. The smell is full of citrus fruit. The mosaic hop is amazing. Incredibly easy to drink with not much bitterness. Thanks to @ECOBOOSTINST for the trade. This is one of my top ipas.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is definitely one of the best double IPAs I've ever had. I've never had Heady but I have to imagine this can compete.

A - perfect hazy orange
S - tropical bright kind of mango pineappleish
T - follows the nose. Very smooth.
M - perfect - DNase enough but still so drinkable
O- close to a 5 - everything I want from a double IPA. I believe this beer features the Mosaic hop which, to me is very similar in profile to the Citra. It does a great job showcasing it. I dream of making beer like this.

Sweet Tangerine juice. Really well balanced. No notes of booze. Huge citrus juice nose. Almost like Five Alive. Orange hazy body.

4.71/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass. A nice orange color almost looks like a glass of orange juice. The head was a bit thin but had a nice white color to it., lacing was beautiful and plentiful.

Once I opened the bottle I was hit with a citrus / tropical fruit scent that stayed with me the entire time I drank the beer.

This is one tasty beer, I am not sure how I would describe it but I must say this is seriously the Nectar of the Gods!!! Could really taste the citrus and a was very smooth, it almost had a juice taste rather than a beer taste. Filled my mouth with a beautiful hop flavor and my throat felt it was lined with a sweet candy once I was done with the beer.

DIPA is my favorite styles and I have to say SOSUS blew my mind away. I have had all the greats SOS, Heady, Pliny, Julius etc and to me Sosus is hands down my favorite. I am really thankful to have gotten to try this beer.

4.3/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.79/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.66/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Smells INCREDIBLE. So dang juicy, hazy, just gorgeous. Was sitting on the couch with the beer on the side table and i kept smelling it from where i was sitting. So good. First sips of juicy bitter dank hop. Huge power dank on the tongue. This may be better than the king. I know they are different hop profiles but as a dipa this is crazy good. one of the best ive had id say. Had in from a bomber, poured into a 'Pulpit Rock tulip'. NICE

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

4.27/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.71/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just picked up this newest bottling at TG on 29 Aug 15 while there for the MD release. New blue label and in my opinion a much better beer than the last version. Absolutely delicious!!

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.54/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Sosus from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company