Sosus | Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States
tgbrews.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

In his most notable mosaic work, Sosus of Pergamon depicts doves sunning atop a golden chalice. The image was said to be so enticing that real birds flew into it while trying to reach their stone companions. This single-hop showcase is inspired by the beauty of divinity of the Sosus mosaics. Just as the doves discovered their golden nectar, discover the irresistible nature of the Mosaic hop.

100+ IBU

Added by nickapalooza86 on 05-05-2013

Reviews: 139 | Ratings: 1,238
Reviews by darthvohn:
4.17/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Glass Used: Teku

Appearance: Hazy orange clover honey body with a minimal head. What head was present was a vibrant snow white. Lacing is abundant as you sip it down.

Smell: A nice bouquet of grapefruit and lemon followed by some dank intermingling about. The citrus was immediately noticed when you popped the top.

Taste: Grapefruit, green onion and a wee bit dank are your key players here. I get big sweet orange and some pine resin in the finish.

Mouthfeel: A bit tacky, kinda like finishing a big gulp of fresh OJ. The walls of your mouth and tongue are coated with a bit of stickiness.

Overall: I love Mosaic hopped beers and this is no exception. An excellent offering from TG. I really dig the citrus notes and orange finish in this one. Definitely recommend.

3.58/5  rDev -20.3%

Did not live up to hype. I love mosaic and this didn't give me much of it. Generally a disappointment...and was high on my "wants" list.

Appearance: A gorgeous straw bail color with a finger of white head and nice lacing.
Smell: An instant reminder of my favorite beer of the year by Indeed Brewing: LET IT RIDE. A mosaic hop beer where they use four pounds per barrel. It's the perfect balance between citrus, a slight tropical sweetness, and a clean finish with some classic midwest dankness. Juicy, but not as much as King Sue, which really makes it even more amazing. One of my favorite DIPA'S alongside let it ride, scream, king sue, sucks.

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great beer. Clear golden brew with nice lacing. The smell is full of citrus fruit. The mosaic hop is amazing. Incredibly easy to drink with not much bitterness. Thanks to @ECOBOOSTINST for the trade. This is one of my top ipas.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is definitely one of the best double IPAs I've ever had. I've never had Heady but I have to imagine this can compete.

A - perfect hazy orange
S - tropical bright kind of mango pineappleish
T - follows the nose. Very smooth.
M - perfect - DNase enough but still so drinkable
O- close to a 5 - everything I want from a double IPA. I believe this beer features the Mosaic hop which, to me is very similar in profile to the Citra. It does a great job showcasing it. I dream of making beer like this.

Sweet Tangerine juice. Really well balanced. No notes of booze. Huge citrus juice nose. Almost like Five Alive. Orange hazy body.

4.71/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass. A nice orange color almost looks like a glass of orange juice. The head was a bit thin but had a nice white color to it., lacing was beautiful and plentiful.

Once I opened the bottle I was hit with a citrus / tropical fruit scent that stayed with me the entire time I drank the beer.

This is one tasty beer, I am not sure how I would describe it but I must say this is seriously the Nectar of the Gods!!! Could really taste the citrus and a was very smooth, it almost had a juice taste rather than a beer taste. Filled my mouth with a beautiful hop flavor and my throat felt it was lined with a sweet candy once I was done with the beer.

DIPA is my favorite styles and I have to say SOSUS blew my mind away. I have had all the greats SOS, Heady, Pliny, Julius etc and to me Sosus is hands down my favorite. I am really thankful to have gotten to try this beer.

4.3/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.79/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.66/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Smells INCREDIBLE. So dang juicy, hazy, just gorgeous. Was sitting on the couch with the beer on the side table and i kept smelling it from where i was sitting. So good. First sips of juicy bitter dank hop. Huge power dank on the tongue. This may be better than the king. I know they are different hop profiles but as a dipa this is crazy good. one of the best ive had id say. Had in from a bomber, poured into a 'Pulpit Rock tulip'. NICE

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

4.27/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.71/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just picked up this newest bottling at TG on 29 Aug 15 while there for the MD release. New blue label and in my opinion a much better beer than the last version. Absolutely delicious!!

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.54/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Sosus from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company