Sosus | Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States
tgbrews.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

In his most notable mosaic work, Sosus of Pergamon depicts doves sunning atop a golden chalice. The image was said to be so enticing that real birds flew into it while trying to reach their stone companions. This single-hop showcase is inspired by the beauty of divinity of the Sosus mosaics. Just as the doves discovered their golden nectar, discover the irresistible nature of the Mosaic hop.

100+ IBU

Added by nickapalooza86 on 05-05-2013

#123

Ratings: 1,496 |  Reviews: 187
Reviews by kustard:
4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

3.58/5  rDev -20.4%

Did not live up to hype. I love mosaic and this didn't give me much of it. Generally a disappointment...and was high on my "wants" list.

Appearance: A gorgeous straw bail color with a finger of white head and nice lacing.
Smell: An instant reminder of my favorite beer of the year by Indeed Brewing: LET IT RIDE. A mosaic hop beer where they use four pounds per barrel. It's the perfect balance between citrus, a slight tropical sweetness, and a clean finish with some classic midwest dankness. Juicy, but not as much as King Sue, which really makes it even more amazing. One of my favorite DIPA'S alongside let it ride, scream, king sue, sucks.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

Great beer. Clear golden brew with nice lacing. The smell is full of citrus fruit. The mosaic hop is amazing. Incredibly easy to drink with not much bitterness. Thanks to @ECOBOOSTINST for the trade. This is one of my top ipas.

2/2/17 New review.

Upon my second bottle of this I upgraded my ratings. This is a stellar dipa.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is definitely one of the best double IPAs I've ever had. I've never had Heady but I have to imagine this can compete.

A - perfect hazy orange
S - tropical bright kind of mango pineappleish
T - follows the nose. Very smooth.
M - perfect - DNase enough but still so drinkable
O- close to a 5 - everything I want from a double IPA. I believe this beer features the Mosaic hop which, to me is very similar in profile to the Citra. It does a great job showcasing it. I dream of making beer like this.

4.09/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Nice frothy two finger high head with a dimpled surface of an eggshell white hue, retention is above average as any larger bubbles settle into the mass, the lacing is extremely thick and looks glued to the glass sides, almost no movement. Shiny yellow gold to orange rust colored liquid, no real visible haze, coated wall-to-wall in a sheet of fast rising bubbles. Pretzel dough, salt and freshly mown grass infuse the nose first, sour white grapefruit accents frame the pineapple, papaya, nectarine fruit scents, on the whole has a dry texture which stymies its lift, pine cone, decomposing forest floor matter provide dankness before it all cascades away. Full-bodied, on the heavy side and super creamy, enough so that it counterbalances the biting hoppiness. The carbonation diffuses the flavors some. More concentration and sweetness here in the pineapple, mango, peach fruit, buttressed by the buttered biscuit element. Much more zesty bite in the orange to white grapefruit citrus than juice. Loses a good bit of the dankness here, cleaner grassiness. Has a tight weave to it which might benefit from relaxing and letting it all flow more.

Sweet Tangerine juice. Really well balanced. No notes of booze. Huge citrus juice nose. Almost like Five Alive. Orange hazy body.

4.76/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 5

Sosus

Look: The pour is clear, but the beer comes out a nice hazy orange, carbonation bubbles rise up to the two fingers of head generated by the pour.

Smell: The most distinct citrus smell I've gathered from a beer. I also get some dank, resin quality when searching further.

Taste: Tons of oranges, mandarins, some grapefruit, and a sweeter mango finish. Incredibly good

Feel: Medium bodied, with a drying slight bitterness on the finish. I was expecting a juicier feel.

Overall: An incredibly good beer. Having King Sue prior, expectations were high for another TG double IPA, and expectations were exceeded.

4.71/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass. A nice orange color almost looks like a glass of orange juice. The head was a bit thin but had a nice white color to it., lacing was beautiful and plentiful.

Once I opened the bottle I was hit with a citrus / tropical fruit scent that stayed with me the entire time I drank the beer.

This is one tasty beer, I am not sure how I would describe it but I must say this is seriously the Nectar of the Gods!!! Could really taste the citrus and a was very smooth, it almost had a juice taste rather than a beer taste. Filled my mouth with a beautiful hop flavor and my throat felt it was lined with a sweet candy once I was done with the beer.

DIPA is my favorite styles and I have to say SOSUS blew my mind away. I have had all the greats SOS, Heady, Pliny, Julius etc and to me Sosus is hands down my favorite. I am really thankful to have gotten to try this beer.

4.56/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sosus pours as you would hope it would. Bright but deep gold with a fresh, unfiltered look. Not hazy... floaty. The good floatie. Not a ton of crap in there. A rocky white head holds tight to the surface and sides of the glass.

The true shine of this beer comes right here in the aroma. Hints of tropical fruit, but some very exotic notes of gooseberry and prickly pear come through, as if Toppling Goliath squeezed every ounce of potential from these Mosaic hops.

And interestingly enough, those exotic notes don't come through in the flavor. Don't get me wrong, it's still absolutely great! Tons of tropical fruit, grapefruit, and a damp, dank forest. Again, just as I'd hoped.

It's rich, but smooth and appropriate. Nicely bittered too. The carbonation cuts it down a bit giving it a relatively soft and crisp finish.

Outstanding. Seriously, I don't need to elaborate much more than that. Thank you Joe, for another phenomenal brew. Cheers!

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.79/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.66/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Smells INCREDIBLE. So dang juicy, hazy, just gorgeous. Was sitting on the couch with the beer on the side table and i kept smelling it from where i was sitting. So good. First sips of juicy bitter dank hop. Huge power dank on the tongue. This may be better than the king. I know they are different hop profiles but as a dipa this is crazy good. one of the best ive had id say. Had in from a bomber, poured into a 'Pulpit Rock tulip'. NICE

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

4.27/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.71/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just picked up this newest bottling at TG on 29 Aug 15 while there for the MD release. New blue label and in my opinion a much better beer than the last version. Absolutely delicious!!

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Sosus from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company