Gunnamatta | Yeastie Boys

1.75/5  rDev -53.5%

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%

2.81/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

a little worried here. it says it's an IPA, and we are told IPAs don't 'age' well, and ALL the other reviews are fromalmost a year ago and THERE'S NO STINKIN' DATE ON THIS BOTTLE!!!
what's wrong with you people? you want us to drink your old stuff? what if it tastes bad? if we don't know we bought an old bottle, we'll never come back to you, right? geez....
well, here goes.
nice TEA color. BEAUTIFUL tea color. nice billowy, frothy, light-as-a-feather head.
smells like a way better bag of tea than Lipton ever delivered.... with some hops.
with a nice head still residing on top, it tastes... heck, I don't know. bitter and tart. funky. how do I know if it's supposed to taste this way if I don't know how old it is? it actually tastes funky. and the nose is now coming through funky also. sorry. i'm dumping it.
ratings still apply accurately. put a stinkin' date on your bottles, mate.
I really would like to taste a fresh one of these....

2.89/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

2.95/5  rDev -21.5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a clear consistency. There was an inch of foamy, somewhat long-lasting head. OK lacing.

S: The tea dominates the aroma, but there is a hint of hops in it as well.

T: Like the smell, the taste is overpowered by tea, along with a little hops, and some citrus (orange, grapefruit). The flavor here seems a little one-dimensional to me, and not being the biggest fan of tea, it's a bit much.

M: A fair amount of carbonation with a smooth, clean finish. Light-bodied.

O: This is definitely a quirky idea for a beer. It's also wildly uneven.

Very nice appearance with a smell that resembles fruity pebbles. The taste is that of a session IPA with a mellow green tea after notes.

Enjoyable and unique.

3.01/5  rDev -19.9%

Bottle: standard 330mL brown bottle with a craft label displaying a ocean scene with a tubbed Special. Nice.

Appearance: pours a light copper-gold with a slight haze. A small white head foams up and hangs around at the half-finger mark. Looks good.

Aroma: a very unusual aroma of a light combination of lemon and grass hops completely dominated by a soapy, pungent tea leaf. Smells like one of the only teas I don't like - Earl Grey.

Taste: and indeed it is Earl Grey, which will immediately bias me against this beer somewhat. More pungent Earl Grey flavours without much behind - just a touch of hops and some biscuit malts.

Aftertaste: the Earl Greyness of this beer makes it hard to drink. The flavours linger for some time.

Mouth feel: quite dry on the finish with a flowing drinkability. Plenty of carbonation, which is nice too.

Overall: I have to admit that tea leaf beers are not my favourite. Add to that the fact that Yeastie Boys have opted for the disasterously evil Earl Grey as their base, and I have to admit I am a bit biased. I struggled to drink this one down, as I found the soap-and-earth floral flavours of the Earl Grey overpowering. All the same, it is at least fairly well put together beer - just not my thing.

3.19/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Brewed with Adnams for the latest Wetherspoons Festival (showed up a week early in Glasgow). Tasted while i had a stinking cold coming on which may have affected my assessment.

An amber coloured beer with a creamy looking head and an aroma of rose petals and bubble gum (or perhaps less enticingly the smell of those blocks os soap they stick in urinals). The taste didn't seem like earl grey to me (I'm quite a fan of earl grey and have been working through a box at home over the last couple of weeks). Instead I picked out ginger. Lots of ginger....and perhaps a little elderflower with some minty hops in the background. There was soemthing more earthy and tealike in the aftertaste.

This is an interesting beer but whatever makes it seem so gingery is drowning out the other more palatable flavours.

3.27/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

L:
-pours a cloudy golden-orange with a small to medium,foamy,white head
-low carbonation visible
S:
-lemon,oranges,tangerines,grapefruit,mango
T:
-pears,tea,oranges,tangerines,grapefruit
-low to medium bitterniss for the style
F:
-low to medium carbonation (undercarbonated)
-light body
O:
Citrus-heavy IPA with Earl Grey Tea coming through on the taste.
Some Mouthfeel Problems persist.

3.3/5  rDev -12.2%

3.32/5  rDev -11.7%

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

A - Nice golden colour with hues of orange, nice looking 1 finger head, looks good.

S - Orange, marmalade, citrus, lemony, floral aromatics, berries, really does smell like earl grey tea.

T - Same as the nose, orange, citrus, mint, the Earl Grey flavours mix well with the hops, not getting much malt flavour, just a general sweetness. Bittering is good, doesn't linger too long, there is an astringency and light solvent alcohol, pretty tasty overall.

M - Good start and finish, leaves me wanting to drink more.

O - I love Earl Grey tea and IPA so this combo makes sense to me, probably not something I could drink a lot of but it's definitely a tasty beer.

Gunnamatta from Yeastie Boys