IPA Black | The Kernel Brewery

thekernelbrewery.com

Style: American Black Ale

Added by CanuckRover on 01-16-2011

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first go at a Black IPA.

Pours a completely opaque dark brown, verging on muddy. Emptied the bottle including a generous helping of UFOs. Nice head retention, but fairly slippery lacings.

Big citrus hops on the nose. Nicely intermingled with milk chocolate and just a touch of coffee bitterness behind.

Very interesting flavour profile. I assume this is par for the course with the style, but the flavours are very tough to pick apart, I hadn't thought the two personalities would meld so well. First impression is citrus and pine from the generous hopping. At some point, hard to tell when, bits of chocolate touch down on the tongue. Fresh bitterness of the hops is gradually replaced with the roasted coffee bitterness you'd expect from a stout. Finish is a combination of the resinous hops and dark coffee.

Very interesting beer. By gut tells me that a tad too much emphasis is on the hops, I feel like the malt barely comes through at all, but, as I said, this is my first of the style, so I could be wrong.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Found this one at Oddbins, London Bridge Station, August 2012

A: Brown body, thin head.

N: Green hop nose

F: Tart and tangy hops. Light flavor coming in from the malt.

M: Sharp and astringent

O: Not my favorite style, but well done.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

Drunk at BrewDog Edinburgh on Friday August 5, 2011 at the recommendation of a like minded just met fellow beer aficionado named Stephen.
The label claimed an ABV of 7% though in the past I have seen it listed at 6.8, 6.9 and 7.2%. With the advice of a few other UK BAs I've decided just to review this here as opposed to entering it as a new beer assuming that the recipe is still broadly the same.

And just gorgeous to look at when poured. A bit forboding too in its full black Imperial Stout like colour. Nose however tells differently with virtually none of the expected roast malt flavour escaping the black mass. Instead a piney Americanesque hop nose and a creamy dense thickish magnolia head. Hops dominate the initial taste with an immediate assertive bitterness before the beer's roastiness makes an appearance before merging back into a finish reminiscent of that initial bitterness.

Truly amazing how this works. Such incredible poise complimenting what would seem to be two opposing styles in one glass. Boy does it work without as much as a muttering of opposition.
An impressive display of Negative Capability.

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours Black with a slight brown/reddish hue in the light and a decent tight head. Aroma is a bit of citrus but heavier on the roasted malt, coffe and cocao. Taste is similar as it starts off with a citrus pine flavor, then goes a bit soapy for a second, an dends with coffee, malted cocoa with the pine sap coming back with the aftertaste. Palate is lighter than I expected. Could be richer and a bit more effervescent than I wanted. Still very good and overall one of my favorite in the style. I am a bit biased with the Kernel but know tha tthey do a great job and continue to get better.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

4.01/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle bought direct from the brewery. I've had a few BIPAs from the UK and not been wowed by any of them. The standard for me is Hop in the Dark and, although this beer doesn't beat it- it comes closest by a country mile. Poured into my Hommel Tulip. No UFOs, although I've definitely had some in other Kernel brews. Good dark colour with a slightly tan head. Good fresh hops on the nose and a nice balance in the flavour, with a slightly burned background flavour but with the hops winning out. I'd say this is one to enjoy as fresh as possible to see it at it's best though.

3.36/5  rDev -16.6%

Bottle from beermerchants.com

Black IPAs or whatever the hell they're called this week are still en vogue. Though I'm still waiting for an all-Citra BIPA that straddles both bandwagons.

It's a fair beer; it's fairly black, there's a fair bite to it with fairly robust citrics. It just doesn't shine as much as other Kernel IPAs; it's more the moody teenager than the ebulliant toddler.

IPA Black from The Kernel Brewery