The Kernel/Redemption Number Two India Pale Ale | The Kernel Brewery

thekernelbrewery.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Trizzle on 06-10-2011

4.5/5  rDev 0%

Had on-tap at The Rake in London. Before I start this review I want to say that my beer was luke-warmish and probably around 55-60 degrees. Kind of disappointing to have that kind of quality control problem at a place with such a discriminate selection but still glad to try this beer. However, the temperature may alter some of my descriptions. Review from notes.

A: Pours a hazy wheat gold with a small head but decent lacing.

S: Mint, hops, and a little olive and citrus in the nose. Surprisingly nice smell for a random pick.

T: Really nice. This is a high quality IPA. Unlike other IPAs that often introduce additional flavors to overpower the natural flavors of its base ingredients, this beer smooths out and plays with the basic, hop-centric IPA taste and supports it with subtle flavors like mint and citrus to create a very appealing and unique flavor. I like the taste for many of the same reasons I like Alpine's Duet, and they seem similar to each other.

M: An extremely smooth, almost oily like mouthfeel. Like Duet, I'm somehow reminded of the feel of fish oil without any of the taste. Leaves a residue-like feeling in the mouth but it isnt an unwelcome one, and instead leaves you searching it out for remnants of the delicious beer.

O: This is a surprisingly awesome beer. A top 3 for me in terms of single IPAs. I just feel sad that I likely won't have a chance to have this again, especially at proper temperatures. I'm really curious what blooms from this beer in the right conditions. If you can get a hold of this and you appreciate a good IPA, this would be a must.

4.62/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A collab between two of the best London has to offer. Redemption and The Kernel.

A thick honey pour, dark amber middle, yellow highlights, half finger head, good lacing & retention.

A nose full of honey, pepper, pine, marijuana, green capsicum, mango, the subtle smoke of a Winston Churchill Romeo Y Julieta and the fresh cut damp green green grass of my Aussie homeland. If this isn't a 5 for aroma, nothing is. Can I give it a 6???

Dry English pale malt with some sweeter caramelly malts, which with the citrus hops give the mango touch. Bigger pine and pineapple is obvious on the front palate with some more mango, some green pepper, grapefruit, passionfruit and a long bitter/citrus-sweet finish. So fucking balanced. The hop selection in here is so key. Loads of grass, weed and pepper with plenty of big pine and citrus rind notes. So, so good.

Feel is medium with low but dense carbonation.

I lost my first review of this because of my shitty iPhone but reviewing again was a pleasure.

Edit: Loads of funky yeastie bits in the bottle. Pouring the yeast in takes an edge off the spicy hops and adds a decent vegetable stock hit. I prefer it without the yeast personally but is still worth a last mouthful just to see the change it makes.

The Kernel/Redemption Number Two India Pale Ale from The Kernel Brewery