Archer's Ale | Sherwood Forest Brewers Ltd.

good
good
Read the review
Archer's AleArcher's Ale

Sherwood Forest Brewers Ltd.
Massachusetts, United States
sherwoodbrewers.com

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by UnionMade on 12-12-2001

1.25/5  rDev -64%

1.28/5  rDev -63.1%

Again, I am not in the business of bashing any beer, but I cant help it here.
I bought the sixer at Macy's in West Roxbury because I collect bottles and I liked this one.
When I cracked it, the color was a lite reddish color.Very nice.
But the smell..It smelled like Chef Boy r Dee sauce..Nasty!
I took about 10 total sips, each more painful then the last.
The smell truely ruins the taste..
If you like bottles, go for one of these. If you like beer, get a Sam Adams Oktoberfest!
Happy Drinking!

1.74/5  rDev -49.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This one was a semi-gusher - I opened the bottle and it began foaming over. After waiting for things to settle down, I poured very carefully, but resulting in nearly all foam. A nice chestnut body appeared after some time. Nice color - shame that a too-fizzy ridiculously large head interfered.

I had to wait a bit for the head to (noisily) settle to a reasonable point - Caramel struggled to show under heavy green apple and butterscotch.
Smells infected.

The taste was worse. Green apple sourness and a lemony tang. Caramel hardly noticeable. Soapdish, green apple and butterscotch.

Overly fizzy, even with the head settled down.

I assume this is a bottling issue or some infection took place. I hope... I couldn't finish it... Hopefully, I'll have a chance to revisit this one to see if it was an "off" bottle.

2.58/5  rDev -25.6%

Originally reviewed on May 22, 2006. On tap at Julios Spring Beer Festival. No aroma. Pour of clear deep amber, with an off-white head. Light sweet phenolic flavor with a huske of bitter oaken fringe and tannin tartness. Drinkable, at least, but really not much character.

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

2.78/5  rDev -19.9%

Archer Ale had a nice hazy copper, caramel coloring. I found the flavor to be overbearingly sweet, almost sickly sweet. Very malty flavor that could be better balanced with a stronger hop flavor. I didn't taste much hop in this beer at all. I found it fairly drinkable, but not refreshing. It was a bit cloying in the mouth. I found it an average ale.

2.93/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a two-fingered cream head that goes quickly but leaves a good lace. Crystal clear amber color. Very light carbonation and light bodied. Nose is light spicy malts. Starts with the hops and malts balanced, finish is watery. Here's a pale that is not loaded with hops. $1.70 for a 12oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma.

pours a dark amber almost brown hazy color with a beige ring..the smell is toffee caramel and a roasted malt smell i also smell toasted bread ...taste is more of the same its toffee and spices some hops in a bitter metallic way i pick up some citrus rind and burnt toffee or toast..the mouth fell is medium..any way i found this english pale to not be flavorful or drinkable it was way to metallic and burnt tasting..again glad i only bought 1 to try..not recommended

A - Dark copper with a thin bubbly off white head. Moderate carbonation.

A - Toasted malts, bready, hints of caramel and chocolate.

M - Full bodied kind of chewy.

T - A mild tea like sweetness. This brew is dominated by a toasted malt flavor, as if I was eating spent grains. This flavor even masks the grassy hop finish and comes back as an aftertaste.

O - Not bad, but not memorable either. This beer improved as it warmed. I don't believe that this beer should be categorized as a pale ale.

3.03/5  rDev -12.7%

Seems to be on the dark side for a pale ale (and no allusions to Star Wars intended; it's just a bit darker than expected). Not much of a head, but as with the other Sherwood Forest beer I've tried, it's a resilient little bugger; it stops at about a quarter-inch and stays there.

Aroma is faintly sweet, like molasses from a long ways off. The beer is a bit too cold when first poured, so I shall see if warmth brings out more aroma.

Taste and mouthfeel are both thin and watery. Some malt around the edges, a faint, faint bite of hops, and a hint of the biscuit that one would expect from an English style pale ale. Aftertaste is sour, perhaps metallic.

An average beer. I'd be happy to have one at any time, but not if any of my usual beers were available. It would be a good beer to have with a hamburger or a hearty sandwich, or on the porch with friends; the ABV is not noted, but I don't think it's much above 5%.

3.03/5  rDev -12.7%

I had no idea what to expect from this beer. It poured a nice clear reddish amber color. The appearance was the best quality of this beer. Although certainly not bad, it wasn't great. The smell is of caramel malts and a faint nutty aroma. The taste was a bit sweet with a hint of butter. I found the aftertaste not that diserable. It's a fairly drinkable beer though. I like it better than the macro beers but I won't be reaching for this one often.

3.06/5  rDev -11.8%

Nice clean dark amber body with a good sized head of light tan foam that leaves some lace. The malt aroma is overpowered by a strong grainy ( almost like dog biscuits ) smell. A little malt sweetness at the tip of the tongue followed by an easy bitterness at the back of the throat. Nothing special about the taste . But I feel it would be a good session beer during the summer because of being packaged in cans.

3.08/5  rDev -11.2%

Another one I received as an extra recently and decided to crack open last night and give it a try. I had another from them recently and it was ok, so I was hoping that they would step it up a little bit here to be honest, but we shall see. The 12oz bottle was poured into a pint glass straight out of the fridge. The crystal clear, orange tinted, amber color was evident from the first drops to hit the glass. Nice head of off white foam last a few seconds before trailing off into nothing, but it did leave some nice side glass in its wake, with a good carbonation profile, this one was looking fairly decent.

The aroma was heavy on the malts, which for a pale was al little shocking, but that's alright. Very earthy characteristic to it, with some caramel hints and a lot of grassy and grain like flavors in it as well. However, it was very light. The flavor came off to me a bit bland if I am being honest, there was just nothing to really push it through and make it come across as something I would want to get again. Decent malt profile, with a touch of bittering hops, but to be honest just nothing special here. The finish was a touch oily with a lingering taste of musty bread. Weird Mouthfeel, was a bit slick and at the same time decently carbonated, odd, but not bad. It was fairly session able, just do not know if I would want to based on the lack of depth in it.

Overall it was ok, but was just a little to bland for me. I think I will probably pass on having another one. This one was enough for me, maybe its better on tap.

3.08/5  rDev -11.2%

A - Darker amber color with a decent sized, foamy, creamy head with a slightly off-white head. Slightly below average retention leaving a thin bubbly layer of lace.

S - Not very strong or prominent with caramel and some pale malt type of aroma. A touch of English hops with a bit of herbal and grassy aroma. Pretty faint.

T - Some caramel and pale malt along with some apple taste. Pretty good amount of bitterness with some herbal and grassy hop flavors. Grassy bitter flavors linger toward the finish. Not overly exciting.

M - Lighter side of medium body with adequate carbonation. A bit of a slick/smooth feel. Slight drying finish.

D - Flavors are a bit bland with a lingering bitter grassy flavor. Not overly drinkable and the flavors just don't meld all that great.

Notes: Average beer that is vaguely English like but not very inspiring or much like other good English beers. Pretty bland aroma and taste. I wouldn't turn it down, but I wouldn't seek it out.

3.08/5  rDev -11.2%

Twelve ounce can, no dates.

Light copper, efervescent. Capped by a dense off white head.

Light hints of orange aromas.

Pleasantly sweet. Some biscuit, hints of chocolate. Crisp finish, light hopping, and a slight mineral flavour. Medium body, moderate carbonation.

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle with cool if kitschy label

Appearance: Dark copper brew with a soapy ivory cap with decent retention

Smell: Too light for me...there is a very simple pleasant bready sweetness here, but this is about it

Taste: Very mildly fruity English Ale flavors, with a bit of diactyl...there's really not much in the way of hops here at all

Mouthfeel: Light/medium bodied

Drinkability: Not bad

Conclusion: Cool label and concept; other than that, this is completely average.

3.12/5  rDev -10.1%

A decent try at a pale ale. pured a reddish amber color with a small thin head. Could definetly get the smell of malts and hops but it really didnt work into the overall taste. Taste was slightly malty, could not really taste the hops. OVerall not a bad beer though, would try again in bottle.

3.16/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Very interested in this beer since seeing it on many shelves lately.

A: Pours a ruby red or very reddish amber color with a very tiny head that actually left lace on its way down.
S: You can definitely smell the malts, but there is also a spicy hop twang that comes to the nose as well.
T: Taste is abundant with malts and spicy hops--doesn't leave much bitterness in your mouth. The second taste wave is a bit metallic, almost like I had a quarter in my mouth.
M: Mouthfeel is good and goes down smooth--isn't too dry either.
D: This is a drinkable beer, but nothing that'll make you run for it again.

I hope every bottle doesn't taste as metallic as the one I had, because this is an intriguing beer, from the pour, the color, the smells, to the first taste.

3.18/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured out of the can much darker than expected with a centimeter deep foamy head The dark appearance was notable in the nise and flavor. Much roastier than I would expect too. Nose is malts and roast. Flavor is all malts with hops that do not provide quite enough for there to be true balance. Lots of roasted grains come through as well. Hazelnuts too. Mouthfeel is crisp, but with a very dry and sweet finish. I think this beer would be a great introduction to the world of craft beer.

3.2/5  rDev -7.8%

Deep Copper colored ale in a can. A great beer for a cool evening on the boat. No glass allowed!

I have always liked Archer's Ale from the bottle days from The Concorde Brewery.

Although the aroma lacks much depth, it offers a quite pleasant smell of toasted nuts and caramel.

The taste is slightly sweet with notes of brown sugar.
The mouthfeel is a bit sticky, without being cloying
The beer finishes a little sweet for my taste, but seems deliberate.

I am proud to have this as a local offering.

I enjoyed it straight from the can while doing yard work.
This is recommended

3.21/5  rDev -7.5%

Draught @ Ct River Brew Fest: This one poured a dark amber color. There was a fairly decent off-white head with some lacing. There was some maltiness to the aroma, which was good but a bit thin. The taste was along similar lines. Some maltiness with a touch of bitterness. Certainly not a great beer, but still a decent session beer.

3.23/5  rDev -6.9%

I found this single 12oz brown bottle at the Binny's store in Plainfield, IL for $1.49. All of this company's labels have a Robin Hood theme to them.

The beer pours a clear amber color - eventually! You have to wait about 3 minutes for the outrageously huge head to settle down first before you can see the beer's color. I'm not kidding - 90% of the glass will be filled with off-white head, even with an easy tilted pour, so pour this one slowly. A good amount of lacing remains when everything settles down.

The beer has a nice bready, yeasty smell to it.

The beer also has a big, bready, yeasty flavor to it along with a lot of other stuff. I also pick up some brown sugar and caramel sweetness along with some fruit and bitter hops in the background. Overall I did not really care for this mix of flavors. It's a case where more is not always better. It's too all over the place.

Medium body with medium carbonation.

Glad I found this in a single bottle rather than a 6 pack. It's not awful - it's just not something I'd seek out again.

Archer's Ale from Sherwood Forest Brewers Ltd.