Crazy Mountain Amber Ale | Crazy Mountain Brewing Company

Added by birchstick on 07-30-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 62 | Ratings: 207
3.33/5  rDev -6.2%

Crazy Mountain Amber pours a straight amber with a light haze. A small eggshell head falls fairly quickly to a thin film and leaves a bit of lace.

This is a pretty basic amber. Bittersweet toffee and toasted bread provide the malt backbone. The hop character is mild and carries the citrus bite I expect from American hop varieties. The citrus carries through the finish, while the malts fade away. The beer gets a hint metallic at the very end. A light and slightly dry body rounds out the experience.

Overall, this is an OK beer. There are more exciting amber ales out there, but this was worth the pickup.

3.58/5  rDev +0.8%

Grabbed this one during a daytrip Boulder, CO, after a couple GABF sessions the prior two days. Popped into Harvest Wine & Spirits after a long hike and a stopover at Avery Brewing.

Poured into my Firestone Walker nonic pint glass this brew is a copper/orange with a 2-3 finger off-white head that settled down into a thin, rocky form. Lacing.

Orange candies, caramel malts, and a mild chocolate note perk their way up. Prominent toasted maltiness presents itself after a short while.

Rich toasted malts at the forefront of the palette with a charcoal character underlying an earthy hoppiness. Bitterness is moderate. Dry finish leaves a lingering, subtle astringency.

Overall, this amber ale seems focused on the toasted/darker malts. Chocolate, brewed coffee, charcoal all make a statement. Hops are harder to detect though an earthy quality persists. Not sure I'd go back for seconds but I certainly don't regret trying it.

3.57/5  rDev +0.6%

This was part of my haul from pokesbeerdude in the CANs Thrice As Nice BIF. It made for a nice pic, if nothing else.

From the CAN: "This delightfully floral Amber Ale displays a wonderful balance while still maintaining a profound hoppy goodness. We load this beer with a ridiculous and obscene amount of West Coast hops that are added late in the boil resulting in a hoppy beer without any bitterness."; "Located in Edwards, CO in the heart of the beautiful VAIL VALLEY"; "PROMOTING SUSTAINABILITY WHERE WE LIVE 1% of all proceeds from this beer goes toward The Eagle Valley Alliance for Sustainability."

The Crack & Glug came off without a hitch, resulting in a dense finger of tawny head with good retention. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy coppery-amber. Just beautiful in the dying light of the late fall afternoon. Nose smelled of evergreen and I was dubious of their claim of a non-bitter hoppy beer. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste had a more caramel-malt taste than the nose had led me to expect. It was not too sweet for me, but I also found myself wishing for more bitterness, so they may have hoisted themselves by their own petard, as my late Pops used to say. Finish was mellow and slightly sweet, but it just seemed to be lacking something overall. I was not crazy about Crazy Mountain. Does that seem crazy to you?

3.63/5  rDev +2.3%

Once again woodychandler comes through with yet another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has an auburn color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of caramel and malts. Taste is a bit malty, some hops and caramel are present. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable beer.

2.32/5  rDev -34.6%

I picked up a sixer of this because the description led me to believe it was hoppy. It was not. Total waste of $9. Reddish amber color, decent lace, looks pretty good. The smell is malts and buttered popcorn, uh-oh. The flavor was more malts dripping with butter. I'm no brewer but I've been told this buttered popcorn flavor is diacetyl and I can't stand it. I'd try this again on tap but I won't be buying any more cans, yuck.

3.61/5  rDev +1.7%

Picked up a sixer of cans today, my first time seeing this. Eye catching colors design, the designer really nailed it as far as distinguishing the product on the shelf. This might be the first beer can to use the royal blue/lime green combo, which is always a winner. Caught my eye right away. Enough about how much I like the packaging, though.
I will say that I bought this mainly because it was a new beer from a new brewery I'd never heard of. Part of it was certainly my desire to add one of the empties to my can collection. I do have to say that none of it was because this beer was an amber ale. I'm pretty bored of the style, but hopefully I can review this objectively.
Pours a fairly deep, reddish hue. Maybe a little darker than average, with a short, durable head forming on the pour, lasting unusually long before dying out entirely on the last sip or two. Rings of lace circle the glass half empty. Good clarity, as well.
The first scent that arrives is toasty, crystal malt. My guess is Maris Otter malt? Some woody hop aroma as well. Feels sorta british, with a touch of buttery diacetyl and the expected burton ale fruitiness. I didn't expect something mind blowing. It's solid and as clean as you'd expect while retaining top fermenting characteristics.
The flavor opens with grainy, medium-kilned malt, a little like popping a few kernels of the raw stuff into your mouth while homebrewing. Toasty, with caramel and dry pear esters. I think the bitterness might be slightly on the higher end for the style, but I prefer it that way. The hop flavor comes across as just a touch citrusy, but gathers a woodsy flavor when coupled with the graininess of the malt. Tastes like Columbus or Willamette, two of my least favorite hops. Mouthfeel is really, really average. Totally medium body, medium carbonation, with a familiar dry finish. The balance is spot on for me. There's just enough lingering bitterness in the aftertaste with that pleasing dryness. I had no problem drinking three cans tonight to finish up my week.
A fine, upstanding Colorado brew. I have no complaints aside from the hop flavor not being a particular favorite of mine. Not really something I'd seek out again to drink at home, but it's definitely a satisfying option for a cookout or party where I'm not focusing on the beer.

3.65/5  rDev +2.8%

Beer hearing about these guys for a little while and randomly noticed this made it to Denver…in purple cans. Pretty eye catching, which is likely a good idea these days.
Pours a coppery-brown color. Head was par for the course.
Slightly hoppy on the nose initially, but subsequently tends to favor a malt note. Again, pretty normal.
The taste is semi-sweet initially with a pumpernickel bready flavor. A little bit of an herbal zing kicks in from the hops. Some pear-like fruity character sneaks in from the yeast, too. The finish is slightly bitter, but gives way to a lingering caramel malt flavor. That herbal character from the hops is a nice compliment and shows up more as the beer warms.
I’d say it reminds me of many American beers loosely defined as an ESB, which I admittedly usually enjoy.
In a world with amber beers usually being a bit boring, this one kept my attention and didn’t taste just like all of the others.
I can see this one working well in any season, too.
Not a bad flagship at all. Hopefully we’ll get some more from them…and if not I might just have to make Edwards a stop on my next western slope trek.

EDIT: My initial cans of this were good, but subsequent ones have been anywhere from having low carbonation to being literally dead flat. I bought another single can just to make sure it wasn't an issue with mine and it was about 90% still, too. There's definitely something up with their canning process that isn't keeping this beer carbonated.
My initial impression was positive I'd say it was one of the better amber beers in the state. As a flat beer it leaves a lot to be desired. I didn't mess with the other scores, but I took mouthfeel way down.
While that didn't affect the overall score all that much - know that you're taking a bit of a risk with these.

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Found this guy at Mondo Vino. Another can!

I'm calling this a summer amber, which means to me that it's amber yet crisp, but not overly hoppy. And I first had it in the summer.

Light amber and copper color when poured. Off-tan head, some lacing. It is a bit lighter than most other ambers.

Has a nice floral nose with caramel dipped citrus. Malty is the strong undertone. Seems as though the bitterness will be snappy

And it isn't all snappy. Still the malt carries the beer, but the hops provide a little something extra. The florals turn to citrus then back to more of a green flavor. Sweet bread is light and nice throughout. Would go well with some grilled meats in the sun

3.97/5  rDev +11.8%

Another Colorado beer in a can. Picked this one up yesterday at Liquor Mart in Boulder. Poured a darkish amber color with a little white head. Aromas of biscuit and more hops than I expected. On the palate, this one is light to medium bodied, with biscuits and floral hops.

3.12/5  rDev -12.1%

From 12 ounce can, bought at Mile High Wine and Spirits, Lakewood.

Good head, good retention. Pours fizzy and pure amber, clear and filtered.

Smell is malty and biscuity, as an amber should be. Small notes of nut. Tastes like a Fat Tire light, mostly due to the mouth feel, which is thinner.

Impressed by color, smell. Underwhelmed by taste. I'd stick with Fat Tire, which is sad cause Fat Tire is not very good anymore.

4.35/5  rDev +22.5%

One of the smoother Amber Ales I have had. Doesn't not have an overly hoppy flavor. The quality of the ingredients is very evident. The nose is a bit sweet and the aroma lingers on your tongue after a sip. Should be a good seller for quite sometime. ABV=5.25%, IBU= 25, SRM=18

3.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Had on-tap at the Blue Moose in Vail, CO

A - pours an amber color without much head

S - biscuity malts dominate the nose, without much else going on

T - the taste follows the nose. The biscuity malts are the most dominate flavor; the malts are balanced by some grassy hops

M - full bodied that goes down nicely

D - This tastes awfully similar to fat tire, but the biscuity malts are a tad bit sweeter and the hops a little bit more noticeable. Pretty enjoyable amber ale. I would definitely get this again if I am in the area.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last