Crazy Mountain Amber Ale | Crazy Mountain Brewing Company

Added by birchstick on 07-30-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Reviews: 63 | Ratings: 208
3.42/5  rDev -3.4%

12 oz can pours a hazed copper color with a small cap of white head...not much retention or lacing.

Nose is plenty hoppy...grassy and floral with a significant nutty-caramel malt backdrop. Maybe a little honey as well. Smells ok, but I cant help but think a more tropical hop varietal might have served better.

Taste throws out some more floral hop flavors with a fair amount of bitterness. The malt is more toasty than sweet and the yeast plays a little bit of a factor in the flavor...perhaps some sourdough bread. Not bad, I was expecting a bit more from a new CO canning operation, and I do like the wit they do more than this.

3.35/5  rDev -5.4%

I popped the can open and beer and foam came flying out. Not sure if it was user error or not... Anyway, lots of foam on a cloudy, medium straw colored body.
The aroma is a dull citrus smell with some hay thrown in.
The taste has a good malt backbone with only a mild sweetness. Pine bitterness to end. Enjoyable.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
Besides the exploding can, I thought this was a fine drink.

3.7/5  rDev +4.5%

Had on-tap at the Blue Moose in Vail, CO

A - pours an amber color without much head

S - biscuity malts dominate the nose, without much else going on

T - the taste follows the nose. The biscuity malts are the most dominate flavor; the malts are balanced by some grassy hops

M - full bodied that goes down nicely

D - This tastes awfully similar to fat tire, but the biscuity malts are a tad bit sweeter and the hops a little bit more noticeable. Pretty enjoyable amber ale. I would definitely get this again if I am in the area.

3.83/5  rDev +8.2%

Picked up a sixer from Ski Haus Liquors last Friday for $8.99.

Beer poured copper with a solid white head that is leaving lacing behind.

Nose is slight grainy malts and a hint of floral hops.

Taste is toasted malts and fresh floral hops. Finish reminds me of Fat Tire.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, moderately carbonated, and refreshing.

Overall a very solid refreshing beer that is perfect for a tailgate!

3.64/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Honey-biscuit aroma rises up from a solid gold body. The head appears thin yet persistent and leaves spotty patches of foam on the glass. Not much carbonation rising from the glass. Getting back to the aroma: rich and grainy and infused with a light floral hop background. The taste is rich and flavorful, emphasizing the biscuit and caramel grain notes. And despite the can's labeling, there is a light yet not overpowering hop bitterness midway through the sip and hanging on through the finish.

This makes the grade as a quality, journeyman-quality amber ale. Nothing distinctive per se, but fits the style, goes down easily, and is definitely worth repeat visits.

3.4/5  rDev -4%

12 oz can poured into snifter. Appears a nice deep amber hue with nice clarity, heavy white head and tons of lacing. The nose features herbal hops, heavy cereal grain, caramel, and a bit of pine. Taste is uneventful, some hops, some malt, but nothing really stands out. The bitterness is on the light to moderate side and the finish presents a bit of a black tea flavor. Mouthfeel is on par for style, but the taste really isn't. Unfortunately there is no way for me to tell if this is an old can, but as it is, it is a run of the mill amber.

3.97/5  rDev +12.1%

Another Colorado beer in a can. Picked this one up yesterday at Liquor Mart in Boulder. Poured a darkish amber color with a little white head. Aromas of biscuit and more hops than I expected. On the palate, this one is light to medium bodied, with biscuits and floral hops.

3.36/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A- Medium copper. Big carbonation bubbles. Big head fades pretty face.
S- Sweet dough, a bit steely, and an odd but refreshing herbal aroma.
T- Too much of that herbalness here. I don't particularly think that is well placed here. That said, I like the sweet, doughy, ever so slightly toasty malt profile.
M- A little light in the body, and I found it to be kind of flat.
O- Passable, but not great. Would drink again, but won't seek out.

3.84/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a 12 oz can (dated, I think, February 10, 2013) into a tulip.

A-A normal pour produces two fat fingers of light khaki head with nice retention and some lacing. The brew is clear and deep amber in color with a few streams of carbonation crawling up the glass.

S-Upon first sniff, I detect a fair amount of roasted, grainy malts and a touch of toffee/caramel. The brew is lightly sweet with some earthy, pine-scented hops for balance.

T-The taste is a little weak up front, with only a faint hint of toffee and caramel from the malts, but a nice spicy, earthy pine flavor comes through on the finish.

M-The brew is water with a fine prick of carbonation. It is medium to lighter body for the style.

O-This is a perfectly drinkable amber ale. The smell is pretty nice and while the flavor is a bit of a letdown, there is nothing upsetting or crazy about this Crazy Mountain brew. I would happily drink this again if the occasion called for it.

3.39/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Nice dark ruby red with a thumbs width khaki head with decent retention and nice lacing. The aroma is crisply sweet, fruity, and a touch floral. Flavor starts off sweet with some mild toffee and is followed by some earthiness and hoppy bitterness. Medium bodied and crisp mouthfeel. I've been wanting to check this one out for a while but always put it off. Glad to have finally tried it but can't say my built up expectations for it were met. Its a decent beer that got better the more of it I drank. I'd gladly drink it again but won't be going out of my way for it.

3.33/5  rDev -5.9%

Crazy Mountain Amber pours a straight amber with a light haze. A small eggshell head falls fairly quickly to a thin film and leaves a bit of lace.

This is a pretty basic amber. Bittersweet toffee and toasted bread provide the malt backbone. The hop character is mild and carries the citrus bite I expect from American hop varieties. The citrus carries through the finish, while the malts fade away. The beer gets a hint metallic at the very end. A light and slightly dry body rounds out the experience.

Overall, this is an OK beer. There are more exciting amber ales out there, but this was worth the pickup.

3.93/5  rDev +11%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A pure amber color, dark copper. A cream colored head slowly settles to a film, while thick rings of lacing coat the glass.

Not detecting much from the smell: faint hops and malts.

The beer is hop-heavy for an amber. In fact maybe too much. However a nice sweet malty caramel note balances things out somewhat.

Mouthfeel is sweet and light bodied, very nice drinking.

Overall, just too hoppy, but still quality and delicious.

3.61/5  rDev +2%

Picked up a sixer of cans today, my first time seeing this. Eye catching colors design, the designer really nailed it as far as distinguishing the product on the shelf. This might be the first beer can to use the royal blue/lime green combo, which is always a winner. Caught my eye right away. Enough about how much I like the packaging, though.
I will say that I bought this mainly because it was a new beer from a new brewery I'd never heard of. Part of it was certainly my desire to add one of the empties to my can collection. I do have to say that none of it was because this beer was an amber ale. I'm pretty bored of the style, but hopefully I can review this objectively.
Pours a fairly deep, reddish hue. Maybe a little darker than average, with a short, durable head forming on the pour, lasting unusually long before dying out entirely on the last sip or two. Rings of lace circle the glass half empty. Good clarity, as well.
The first scent that arrives is toasty, crystal malt. My guess is Maris Otter malt? Some woody hop aroma as well. Feels sorta british, with a touch of buttery diacetyl and the expected burton ale fruitiness. I didn't expect something mind blowing. It's solid and as clean as you'd expect while retaining top fermenting characteristics.
The flavor opens with grainy, medium-kilned malt, a little like popping a few kernels of the raw stuff into your mouth while homebrewing. Toasty, with caramel and dry pear esters. I think the bitterness might be slightly on the higher end for the style, but I prefer it that way. The hop flavor comes across as just a touch citrusy, but gathers a woodsy flavor when coupled with the graininess of the malt. Tastes like Columbus or Willamette, two of my least favorite hops. Mouthfeel is really, really average. Totally medium body, medium carbonation, with a familiar dry finish. The balance is spot on for me. There's just enough lingering bitterness in the aftertaste with that pleasing dryness. I had no problem drinking three cans tonight to finish up my week.
A fine, upstanding Colorado brew. I have no complaints aside from the hop flavor not being a particular favorite of mine. Not really something I'd seek out again to drink at home, but it's definitely a satisfying option for a cookout or party where I'm not focusing on the beer.

3.33/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a hazy light amber/orange-tinged copper. Thin head. Smells worty, kinda like Grape Nuts. Toast and fruity esters. Taste reminds me of a couple other Colorado flagship brews: has the toasty cocoa of Fat Tire with the big fruity esters of a Great Divide Denver Pale Ale. Mouthfeel is moderate in body with a calm carbonation. Overall, this is far from great, but the characteristics that it shares with the two aforementioned brews gives it nostalgia points with me.

3.8/5  rDev +7.3%

Pour - dark, rubyish-red to auburn. Almost reminds me of a rbown ale as this is a lot darker than some of the other amber ales I've seen. The head is pretty tight and foamy. At first I wondered if this was under carbonated but it all came together nicely and left some lacing inside the glass.

Aroma - Tootsie-Rolls, honey, brown bread, pumpernickel bagels, caramel and Fudgesicles. Lots of maltiness in this one with only some faint hints of citrus from the hops.

Taste - lots of those malty flavors come out on the tongue. That Tootsie-Roll aroma certainly is a major flavor component. Lots of caramel malt and again some slight hints of hoppiness but not much in the way of bitterness. Well put together ale with some nice toasty notes and a brown sugar sweet finish.

Overall - There is plenty of flavor packed into this 12 oz. can of amber ale that is for sure. If you're a fan of a malt-forward brew in this category than this is for you. We could easily find our way through a six-pack of this in no time at all. Crazy Mountain Amber Ale is crazy drinkable.

3.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Beer hearing about these guys for a little while and randomly noticed this made it to Denver…in purple cans. Pretty eye catching, which is likely a good idea these days.
Pours a coppery-brown color. Head was par for the course.
Slightly hoppy on the nose initially, but subsequently tends to favor a malt note. Again, pretty normal.
The taste is semi-sweet initially with a pumpernickel bready flavor. A little bit of an herbal zing kicks in from the hops. Some pear-like fruity character sneaks in from the yeast, too. The finish is slightly bitter, but gives way to a lingering caramel malt flavor. That herbal character from the hops is a nice compliment and shows up more as the beer warms.
I’d say it reminds me of many American beers loosely defined as an ESB, which I admittedly usually enjoy.
In a world with amber beers usually being a bit boring, this one kept my attention and didn’t taste just like all of the others.
I can see this one working well in any season, too.
Not a bad flagship at all. Hopefully we’ll get some more from them…and if not I might just have to make Edwards a stop on my next western slope trek.

EDIT: My initial cans of this were good, but subsequent ones have been anywhere from having low carbonation to being literally dead flat. I bought another single can just to make sure it wasn't an issue with mine and it was about 90% still, too. There's definitely something up with their canning process that isn't keeping this beer carbonated.
My initial impression was positive I'd say it was one of the better amber beers in the state. As a flat beer it leaves a lot to be desired. I didn't mess with the other scores, but I took mouthfeel way down.
While that didn't affect the overall score all that much - know that you're taking a bit of a risk with these.

2.35/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

No head despite aggressive pour and no lacing after first sip. Looks like dark apple juice in the glass. Smells like the inside of a shop vac and tastes like wet leaves. Mouthfeel is flat with little bite. Poor.

3.16/5  rDev -10.7%

12oz can

A) Pours with a thin head that dissipates quickly. Clear amber colored body. No lacing on the drink down.
S) Subtle roasty malt notes. Not very aromatic.
T) Earthy caramel malt. A thin taste profile. Finishes with mellow hop bite.
M) On the lighter side of medium body. Not much carbonation
O) An OK beer. I won't be clamoring to drink this again.

3.98/5  rDev +12.4%

Malt is sweet and chewy, like toffee, but isn't overbearing. The hops deliver, but in subtle ways. The label doesn't lie when it boasts that this Amber is floral and hoppy without being bitter.

Kinda underrated on here at a 3 and a half... I want more.

3.92/5  rDev +10.7%

The beer pours a nice amber color with an impressive, thick frothy cap of foam. Pine hops and caramel malt swirl in the nose along with orange, fresh malt, barley, and toasted grain. Smooth, bordering on creamy, on the palate. The caramel malt is evenly balanced by the dry bitter hops. More bitter than pine, citrus and floral. A nice drinking brew.

2.58/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

11/13/16

Bottle to mug, courtesy of JPK.

LOOK: light amber, cloudy, small white head,
AROMA: light fruit, ester, light yeast, light hop.
TASTE:ash, grapefruit,
FEEL: medium to Light body.

Heard good things about this brewery from buddies that live in the hills. I've driven by it many times when I'm up in Edwards but never stopped it. I was fairly excited when I saw a 6-pack on the shelves down in Parker so I picked it up.

A - Poured from undated can to a pint glass. The beer pours a brilliant clear amber/copper color with a nice 1 finger slightly off-white head. Decent retention and some lacing throughout.

S - The can boasts ridiculous hop character but I didn't really find it on the nose, that isn't to say it's bad, it's just not a hop-forward aroma. The caramel malt and biscuity sweetness are prevalent first with hints of piney hops.

T - Very similar to the nose. The malty sweetness heavy on the caramel malt flavor dominate. The piney/grassy hop character blends nicely and provides a mild bitterness. The yeast provides a clean brew.

M - Medium bodied and well carbonated. Finishes crisp and clean.

O - A solid brew, I would easily buy this again. I can see myself drinking a fair amount of this this summer. Good representation of the style.

3.54/5  rDev 0%

Crazy Mountain Amber Ale pours a beautiful clear amber copper color with a slightly off white head.

The aroma is predominately biscuity caramel and nutty malt but also has a fantastic floral, citrusy and piney hop presence.

Taste follows in suit, biscuity caramel malt sweetness up front, with a crisp, dry hoppy finish leaving you thirsty for more.

This beer is medium bodied with good carbonation.

Overall, a nice hoppy amber ale. Looking forward to trying some of there other offerings

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was poured into a pint glass.
The appearance was a nice looking amber color with a one finger semi-thick foamy white head that dissipated nicely.
The smell had a nice roasty caramel tones over some light nutty aspects. Light floral tones back up decently.
The taste was moderately sweet through the caramel tones, nutty aspects help to balance.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium on the body with a nice sessionability about it. Carbonation runs nicely as an Amber.
Overall, I say this was a decent amber ale that I'd have again.

3.44/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Mildy hazy, dark honey-amber color. Nice finger-and-a-half head of lusciously thick head with sticky-looking lacing. Smell is inviting enough; nothing overwhelming, but straightforward amber ale aromas. Some sweeter honey like aromas, mildly grassy hops. Exactly what you want in the aroma from an amber ale. Tastes showcase a touch of spicy hops, while still being very mild and subtle. Malts here are second -fiddle to the hops, but overall tastes are subdued almost to a fault, so while the hops are more present than I expected, nothing here really stands out. Touch of honey-like sweetness in the finish with a lingering oily bite.

A bit underwhelming, honestly, but nothing offensive. Love the bottle art Crazy Mountain is doing (combined Colorado animals; this beer's creature is "Seamus", a combo of an owl, a mule deer and a bobcat. Very creative and unique!) I never expect much from an amber, and this beer doesn't change anything or break new ground, but a totally decent amber ale otherwise. Easily sessionable with more character than a faceless corporate beer.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast