Lava Lake Wit | Crazy Mountain Brewing Company

Style: Witbier

Added by Schmittymack on 09-06-2011

4.21/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Have had a few of these Crazy Mountain beers - this was the first that inspired me to actually write a review. Big fan of the execution on these non-traditional adjuncts.

Appearance: hazy yellow, moderate white head/lacing.

Aroma/Flavor: Pie crust with mild cherry and orange notes. Really interesting nose and i'm a big fan. More of the same on the palate with a tough of bitter orange peel and more spice.

Mouthfeel: Medium light bodied, easy to drink.

3.68/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.88/5  rDev -10.8%

A too sweet and salty mix: tasted like a salty Vietnamese soda pop.

3.14/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.07/5  rDev -5%

3.01/5  rDev -6.8%

Taste of sour liquid wonder bread mixed with cinnamon. Don't bother.

3.26/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I picked up a can of Crazy Mountain's Lava Lake Wit a couple weeks ago for $1.79 at Boyne Country Provisions. I was in the mood for a Witbier and I thought I would take a chance on this one so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A_ The can looks good, it's got a nice design to it and it's eye catching. It poured a nice a yellow color that took on more of a brighter yellow color when held to the light with a fingers and half worth of bubbly white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with some grainy. biscuit and pale malt aromas being the first to show up and it's followed by the spices with chamomile seeming to show up the most. Towards the end comes some citrus like aromas with a little bit of lemon zest coming through. This beer had a decent aroma, but it wasn't as true to style as I would like.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with those same malts that I got in the aroma being the first to show up and it's followed by a slight doughy yeast and wheat flavor. Up next comes the spices which imparts the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the chamomile still sticking out the most. On the finish comes the same lemon zest aspects that I got in the aroma with pretty much no bitterness with a citrusy aftertaste that was just a little watery. It's a decent tasting beer, but it still isn't as true to style as I would like.

M- Smooth, slightly creamy, a little crisp, slightly refreshing, on the light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is nice and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was an Ok beer and I thought it wasn't a great example of the style because it seemed to not stay true to the style, but it didn't taste bad, it just tasted more like a Saison than a Witbier. This beer had decent drinkability, i could drink a couple, but it might start to wear on me after that. What I like the most about this beer is the appearance and mouthfeel, to me those were the highlights of this beer. What I like the least about this beer is that it wasn't too true to style. I might buy this beer again if I'm in the mood for it and I wouldn't turn one down, but I wouldn't get it if I was looking for a good and true to style Witbier. All in all I didn't hate this beer, but I didn't love it either, it kind of fell right in the middle. It's now my least favorite beer from this brewery and it's average at best for the style. Better luck next time guys, this one could use a little work.

2.5/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

just to weak in flavour and taste

2.98/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.75/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a cloudy golden amber. World class head volume, retention and normal lacing.

Light nose of coriander, orange and chamomile over a weak biscuit. As it warms, it becomes much sweeter and has hints of clove.

Light medium body with a texture that approaches creamy. Normal carbonation with a bit of effervescence in the middle and a nice burst in the finish.

This is a uniquely flavored wit that is intense, slightly complex and somewhat balanced. It begins with a blend of flavors from the nose that separate very little. It has a general tart flavor that flows to clove and coriander in the middle. The middle has a very subtle bitterness that slowly becomes phenolic. The finish is a lingering phenolic that slowly becomes medicinal.

3.28/5  rDev +1.5%

From a can poured into a shaker glass. Appearance: Hazy straw, 2” foam cap dissipates to ¼” film Smell: has a very spicey nose that approaches perfumey. The orange peel is very strong as is the coriander and the grains of paradise. There is some chamomile in there contributing to the perfumey quality.Taste: This beer has a lot added into it for as light as it is. Along with all the spice it’s almost like an orange lemon juice was added. Mouthfeel: Overall: This is a fun beer that borders on a shandy – all the additions overwhelm the beer base. For balance it could use some hops or tartness.

2.5/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

NOT ONE OF MY FAVORITES.

2.64/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.5/5  rDev +8.4%

3.54/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.16/5  rDev -2.2%

Orange and coriander aroma. Hazy golden body with a thin head. Chamomile and orange tang taste Wet flat finish that has slight tartness.

3.35/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pour is a cloudy yellow orange that brings a small head of foam. Some lacing.

The smell is kind of weird. I do get some coriander with a hint of cloves, but it has a strange fruity aroma that I can't quite put my finger on.

The taste also has the strange taste. .could be lime. It is somewhat distracting and overwhelms the "normal" flavours one expects from a Wit.

Fairly light in body, lively carbonation.

Thanks Jacob for the chance to try it!

2.47/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

By far the worst crazy mountain I have had. Just had an off flavor to it. The wit style is not realized in this beer.

2.75/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.25/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.75/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

2.41/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Where I live, I can only dream of a white Christmas. But in the world of beer, dreams of a white Christmas are a reality. Enter the witbier style, and while it's still a few days before Christmas, it's close enough for me. Here's my white Christmas, brought to me by Crazy Mountain. On to the beer:

Not much life in the appearance, as the beer is a paler yellow color with some tiny bubbles running through the body, and a short lived head which drops to barely a lace. I hope it get better. A few whiffs of the aroma, and I repeat to my myself, I hope it gets better. It smells okay, with faded orange peel, flowers, scented soap. Please get well.

The name Lava Lake conjured images of a lake that was formed as a result of lava millions of years ago. As a beer, it's a watery witbier with little inspiration. The chamomile adds a uniqueness per style, though that's the highlight. It feels watery, tastes watered down, and while it does have a refreshing aspect, I'd much rather conform to Hoegaarden or even Blue Moon.

Crazy Mountain has made a witbier that did not interest me, which itself is crazy. Thank goodness that alcohol is a by-product provided.

3.25/5  rDev +0.6%