Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Duquesne Pilsener Beer | Duquesne Bottling Company

Pennsylvania, United States
duquesnebeer.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Added by WVbeergeek on 09-03-2010

Don't drink yuk save your money

1.8/5  rDev -43.9%

Ack.

This is a serious mistake of a beer despite the good intentions of the brewers to bring some life back to Pittsburgh's brewing market.

Don't even waste your time with this. Many people make the point that this beer is "worth" the money because it comes in around $16/case. For $16, there are a couple other much better beers out there (heck, PBR is $11 and infinitely better in the macro-swill category).

Duquesne has all the usual characteristics of the usual not-worth-your-time macros and nothing to set it apart. It pours/smells/foams/looks like any ol' lager, tastes worse and doesn't even have the cool factor of a real local institution like Iron City (not that I'm advocating you drink Iron, but you have to admit that there is some cache in carrying an Iron in your koozie).

At first try, I thought this beer was skunked, but wanted to give the company the benefit of the doubt so tried it again...and again. And it failed to impress every time.

Pass on Duquesne.

1.8/5  rDev -43.9%

Wegman's was offering this out as free samples when I was there one day. This beer was very over hyped by the lady serving it there. She was talking about how wonderful it was and this and that about everything.

I proceeded to look at the sample she poured me while she was trying to spoon feed me her story and thought to myself... Could this beer be any lighter in color? It was very light yellow with a pitiful little head on it. I took my first sip after smelling virtually nothing but some faint aroma of grain. The taste was very muted, I started asking myself could this be worse than Coors Light? There's such a minimal amount of anything in this beer I really couldn't formulate much for this review.

The beer is extremely cheap too, I think it was like $5 for a 6-pack. I wanted to cry...

2.05/5  rDev -36.1%

The widely hyped reincarnated beer of Pittsburgh's past atlast. Well, I would presume the hype sold a lot of cases, but this is just a lame beer (forgive my subjectivity). Reminds me of Stroh's, Shlitz, Old Milwaukee, or even a waterdown PBR. Nothing to get excited over.

2.25/5  rDev -29.9%

2.25/5  rDev -29.9%

2.3/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a light to medium golden color with a billowy white head that faded very fast leaving little to no lacing.

Smell – The smell is mainly corn in nature, with just the slightest bit of citrus.

Taste – The taste is very similar to the smell. Mainly semi-sweet corn malt overall, but with a very slight citrus flavor detected at the end, which when mixed with the corn flavor leave a somewhat unpleasant taste in the mouth.

Mouthfeel – The mouthfeel is light and somewhat watery with a higher level of carbonation.

Overall – Not really a great brew. Nothing about it is all that good and its likely one to pass over in the beer aisle.

2.48/5  rDev -22.7%

I bought a 30-pack of this on a whim. Overall, it was something I wouldn't buy again. It has an odd, sweet kind of taste, a foamy head that doesn't stick around and not much in the way of carbonation. It tasted flat as soon as I poured it into my glass. If I need to buy a cheaper beer to stock the fridge, I'll stick to the PBR.

2.56/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Thirty packs of cheap "burp beers" are always something different to try. I try to get PABST when in Pitt, but this was a 30 pack of a old school beer that has been brought back to life. Rather than seeking out a six pack from an "exempt" six pack store, I just get the 30 and hope for the best. I've got about a 70% success rate. When I say "success", I mean, can I drink them all and would I buy it again. This is how I tried "Old German" and "Evil Eye Honey Brown" and Straub... (Only the Evil Eye won the buy it again and again contest.) So, batter up.

L: Pale yellow, see through with light carb. No head. No lace. A little glass tapping brought the lace to life.
S: Slight lemon and cooked grain.
F: Watery, with slight cream wash and small metallic finish
T: Pilsener? Well, it does have the impression of being dry, but the overall cooked grain asserts itself as cheaper beers seem too. There is a sweet faint pineapple juice like flavor and the alcohol up front just doesn't seem to mix here.
O: I wouldn't say this is the worst, not for it's price, and it's drinkable from the can. I put it in the glass for this review and it's a little tougher to drink. I'd say near the bottom of my 70% but not the worst, I just won't get this again.

2.58/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

2.59/5  rDev -19.3%

Pours a clean yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, small pilsner hop, but quite faint. In the the taste, sweet malt and a small hop bite. A small bite, but quite smooth and light bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry and clean aftertaste. Standard lager, a bit sweet and a nice small hop bite.

2.67/5  rDev -16.8%

Not bad for an everyday, home-from-work kinda beer. Pale yellow pour into a glass. Its better than most of its contemporaries, ie Miller Lite, Coors Light, etc. Can be pounded rather easily. Nothing special, but then again it isn't trying to be either.

2.7/5  rDev -15.9%

Bought a case when i went home to visit my parents. The price was right (about $16 a case). The beer falls inline with most macro tasting beers and I'd gladly serve it at a party instead of Bud/Miller.

The company I believe is trying to capitalize off of the old Duquesne name with a nostalgic brand resurgence. I am too young to have any connection with the Duke brand of beer and the quality of the beer won't have me running back to get more, unless I need a cheap case for a party.

in general the best part of the beer is the price point.

2.75/5  rDev -14.3%