Hoptopia | Hermitage Brewing

Added by pixieskid on 08-18-2010

24%

1.04/5  rDev -65.3%

1.12/5  rDev -62.7%

My buddy and I attempted to split a 22oz bomber of Hermitage Hoptopia and it was quite honestly the worst beer I've ever had. We both dumped it after a couple of sips.

This tastes and smells of rotten V8 vegetable juice. Even worse - we tried to drink this between bombers of Left Coast Hop Juice and Karl Strauss Double Barrel IPA, and both of those are great.

My buddy said he's had one previously and it was good, but this was so bad it was almost criminal. It's not beer and it's sure as hell not an IPA.

I had read some less-than-stellar reviews on BA after purchasing but I never dreamed a beer could be this bad! This goes way beyond Bud Light/Ice level bad. Horrific!

1.47/5  rDev -51%

Sampled 2/17/11, Purchased at BevMo, $3.50

This beer was probably about 2-3 months old at time of taste, no bottling date.

A: Dark reddish gold with less than one finger pearl white head. A bit darker than an average double IPA.

S: The smells doesn't resemble anything hoppy, more malt and bread than anything. Not what I would expect from a DIPA. Most barleywines would have a better scent.

T: Embarrassingly bad. Some notes of toasted malt, grape, bread, and oats. By these flavors, I really should say, it tastes like fermented cardboard. Not pleasant and very astringent.

M: Not the worst, by any means, but boozy and medium bodied with moderate carbonation. The alcohol taste and finish are very evident. A huge strikeout considering other options.

D: As an IPA and DIPA lover, this beer is not something I would ever drink again. I'm struggling through my first glass of the 22oz bomber. The rest of this bottle is going down the drain. I really hate to rip on someone's work, but this one just isn't for me.

1.49/5  rDev -50.3%

Pours a honey golden color. Thin white head. Decent lacing. Sort of hazy.

Aroma smells super malty sweet. Sort of citric hops. Needs more hop aroma and I'm worried about the sweetness

Yup. Tastes as it smells. Super malty sweet. Not very hoppy. Tastes like a sweet Mexican candy I had once. Not very good.

Mouthfeel is too thick.

Overall not a very good beer. Mad I wasted my money. Should have done my research. Probably gunna drain pour.

1.52/5  rDev -49.3%

So I dont quite know where to start with this one. I really did not enjoy this beer nor did I know where they were trying to go with it.

It poured like a normal IPA, somewhat clear orange/amber color. As I was pouring, I was catching wiffs of what I can only describe as 409 cleaner. The taste was very similar to the smell except now there was a mix of 409 cleaner and pine. I would really like to say something good about this beer but I just cant do it. Not very drinkable in my opinion.

1.52/5  rDev -49.3%

Don't really know what to say about this one that has not been previously been stated. My sister tried to punish me with a glass of this on her birthday.

Had never heard of it or seen it. Now I understand why. It smelled bad, and tasted even worse. One sip was all I needed to know it wasn't yummy. It had a smokey, maybe burnt taste to it. No real hop profile that I noticed.

Just an overall weak example of what I think they were going for.

1.75/5  rDev -41.7%

1.76/5  rDev -41.3%

Wow! This was a bad one everybody...was on the discount shelf for a reason. Poured in up had a drink and it wasn't up to par at all. Honestly, I thought it was a bad batch of beer so I wrote the brewmaster to tell him (If it was bad, I didn't want them selling that stuff for a myriad of reasons). Obviously he was apologetic and offered a free tasting and brewery tour if I could make it up the road. So, although they were very polite and remorseful, I wouldn't grab this one if you were looking to try something new.

1.78/5  rDev -40.7%

22oz bomber into a perfect pint. Been waiting for this to be added. Review from notes.

A - Hazy orangey-yellow, with a slim one-finger head that recedes to a thin ring around the edge of the glass. Patchy lacing as it goes down.

S - Very sweet for a DIPA, with notes of caramelized sugar and cough syrup. Not much in the way of hop character at all, which is just odd for the style.

T - Wow, this is just not very good. The sweetness is very evident here, clobbering everything else. That cough syrup note is something that I just can't get past. Bitter, but without the hop pleasantness that I'm expecting. Long, dry, alcoholic finish. Ugh.

M - Thin but velvety, with low carbonation. It would be reasonably pleasant but for the oily slickness in the finish.

D - It's a struggle to get through this bomber. It only gets worse as it warms up. This might very well be my first drainpour. Hopefully if I can get through a bit more the alcohol will make me forget.

O - What a colossal letdown. Cheap, local, and readily available made me hopeful, but this was worse that I could've imagined. I can only hope that I got a bad bottle, but this didn't show signs of infection, instead it seems to just be a poor recipe. Scratch what I said in the D, this just got poured. Couldn't finish it.

Like Ale of the Hermit, I'm embarrassed to have sent this out to a poor unsuspecting BA as an extra before trying it. Bevmo has stacks of both beers, just waiting for unknowing suckers to pick them up.

1.86/5  rDev -38%

Poured into DFH pint glass. No bottle date is listed on this bomber bottle.

A: Color is clear orange with 1/2 finger white head that disappears very quickly. OK carbonation with tiny bubbles. Some lacing is on the glass, but not tons.

S: This beer smells bad. Stale? Too much malt? It's weird for a West Coast DIPA not to have nice hop aroma. Not a good start....

T: Even worse than the smell. Is this beer oxidized? Stale? Something is wrong with this brew. It tastes smokey even. There is malt obviously but I don't get any hop character. Tastes like burning wood, literally.

M: Coats the mouth....I think I am still tasting this hellish brew. Not good.

O: Probably one of the worst beers that I have ever drank and reviewed. I have seen some similar posts and agreed with all the statements. One and done for sure.

1.96/5  rDev -34.7%

22 oz bottle purchase at Bev Mo in Sacramento, with many other bottles. Hadn't heard of Hermitage, but it's fairly local. Seeing the other reviews, the only thing new I can add is that the cough syrup/excessively pine bark/grapefruit hop character hit the back of the roof of your mouth after you swallow. It's a bad flavor and comes out of a not that bad initial mouth feel and taste. The beer looks good, clear, amber; I like a bit lower carbonation. But my wife and I split the 22oz bottle and the drain got 16 ozs of it. Racer 5 cleansed our palates.

1.99/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

After the disappointing performance of Hermitage's double hefeweisen, I was a little skeptical about Hoptopia, the corresponding IPA in the San Jose brewery's recent "double" series. Upon first pour, everything seemed on track for a decent, hoppy experience: a nice straight-up golden color with a tight, sizable head, which, after some decent retention, leaves some lace, but not enough for your glass to be mistaken for your great auntie's parlor.

The pine/grapefruit nose is present, but not as hop-forward as I expected, and it's paired with something else, either I'm sensing the alcohol, or this beer has spent some time in or around a Naugahyde couch. There is a strange polyvinyl ester leaching from somewhere and it throws off the decent malt backbone of this beer.

For a double IPA, I'm just not getting smacked silly with hoppy goodness, which is exactly what I look for from this style. The finish has an odd, lingering note of slightly rancid butter.

With so many better (read: friggin' amazing) double IPAs--i.e. Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Elder, Ruination, Maximus, Moylander, Steelhead Double IPA, yes, even Hop Stoopid, etc., ad nauseam--on the market right now, I don't think I'll be making the trip out to Hoptopia again anytime soon.

2.18/5  rDev -27.3%

You get what you pay for....

Poured into a snifter.

Pours a medium viscous dark copper amber color. Eggshell head with cloudy cluster clump retention. Soapy sticky lace. Smells like this is a little old. The hops are way subdued. There is a some pine/grapefruit scents but everything is muted. Initial contact on lips is sweet that leads to an uneventful mouthfull. Swallow gets thin and bitters with an unwanted nutty resiny finish on the backend.
Only spent $3.50 on this at Bevmo and it was worth a try I guess. Something keeps telling me this batch is pretty old though. Even if it was fresh it doesn't deserve a title like Hoptopia...

2.2/5  rDev -26.7%

From notes.

Pours a dull orange color with a very faint head.

Nose smells odd, some funk, with a mixture of spices I can't pin down, also some earthiness and grapefruits.

Taste starts out dry, then gets sweet, with some diacetyl butteriness. There are some funky and sour notes that don't belong here, while the finish has a creamy and grapefruit like note. Hop flavors are barely present.

Mouthfeel is thin, but at least smooth.

This is barely drinkable, (Bad bottle?) because this tastes nothing like a Double IPA. I tried to choke it down, but the drain got to drink half of it, sorry drain.

2.24/5  rDev -25.3%

Recommended by guy at BevMo who is usually pretty good, but not this time.

Nice appearance and pours nicely.

Something odd about smell that is different from most double IPA's, almost a spicy smell, like a winter brew.

Initial taste OK, but strange aftertaste.

Finished the first glass but poured out the rest of the 22 oz bottle onto a potted plant.

Hoptopia from Hermitage Brewing