Hoptopia | Hermitage Brewing

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by pixieskid on 08-18-2010

3.25/5  rDev +7.6%

3.35/5  rDev +10.9%

I went to Hoptopia with a shaker pint.

Appearance- A hard, manly pour only resulted in about a finger of the white and fluffy stuffing. It dissipates pretty fast, and leaves behind a spackle of lace. The body is not doing much. That good old, transparent golden-amber. I'm also kind of surprised by the active columns of carbonation.

Smell- After a couple sniffs and a twirl I get a strong sense of green onion with some citrus-y back up. A little bit of orange and sort of bready, this herbal combo does okay but I'm not exactly excited to take a drink now.

Taste- The bitterness pervades the palate and Hermitage gets full marks there. Once the flavors start take over though, I can't say quite the same anymore. It is a little sweet at first from the malt. The hop flavors then get a little dirty with the proceedings: some earthiness, green onion, slight citrus, and tea. I get a little vanilla on the finish which helps things.

Mouth feel- This one does not stick much, and is a bit slick over the tongue. Not the greatest carbonation job.

Overall- I appreciate what the brewers were going for. It just falls short in every category. It is better than average, but I have a hard time believing that this beer will lead you to the promised Hoptopia.

2.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Bottle 22oz poured into a pint glass.

A - opaque pale golden yellow with a thin pure white head of about an inch and a half which doesn't last long but leaves a decent amount of lacing.

S - Pine, citrus and licorice

T - Licorice and Pine. Not a very hoppy beer which defies it's name.

M - Not overly carbonated and the taste of licorice lingers a bit too long.

O - I am always looking for something different to try. This label caught my eye. But I don't think I am really really enjoying this beer as I am drinking it for this review. Everytime I take a swig I like it but the aftertaste lingers and it tastes of licorice.

While I am glad I tried this beer I will most probably never purchase it again.

2.63/5  rDev -12.9%

22-oz. bomber into a pint glass at my house on Oct. 5, 2012 (purchased at BevMo in La Mesa (San Diego, Calif.) for $3.99 (with card) on Oct. 5, 2012). Honey caramel with just over two fingers of thick, frothy, white head. Very good retention on the sides and the top.

Smelled hops right out of the gate. Got some citrus (lime heavy), cascade and some spice. Maybe Columbus, too? (I struggle at times distinguishing between types of hops). A little bit of lemon butter in there late.

Taste wasn’t too much like the smell, unfortunately. Got caramel, very bitter hops (lemon/lime?) and rubbing alcohol. Very oft-putting. Reminded me of a homeless guy’s Manzanita Chaotic.

Medium body. Creamy texture. Average carbonation. Long, astringent, bitter finish.

Smell could’ve been a higher rating, but overall this was just not good. My overall rating of a 2.5 (Beer Advocate) or 8.0 (Rate Beer) may be way too high.

2.73/5  rDev -9.6%

First review ever...

A...Pours a clear, golden color with an excellent frothy white two finger head

S...Has a nice nose to it. Balanced, slightly citrus forward aroma

T...Pretty disappointing. Hops are barely there. For an Imperial ipa seems like there is mostly a malty sweetness with a subtle bitterness on the finish. Not quite fitting its name.

M...First half of beer had a pretty nice feel with small bubbles. Champagne like carbonation. About half way through seemed to turn into a flat beer.lack of carbonation changed the feel quite a bit.

O... overall, great looking beer with nice lacing. Looked and smelled like a winner. After finishing the 22oz bottle, I would not buy this again. There are far better main line big beers that fit better into the ipa catagory. I will try any ipa once, this one will not get a second chance.

2.75/5  rDev -8.9%

3.75/5  rDev +24.2%

Bought at BevMo, Double IPA caught my eye, so, I gave it a try.

Appearance: Orange, copper color, fine white head that laced my pint glass, looks fine.

Smells sweet citrus and a little piney, some hop aroma, not a favorite combo, but, interesting.

Taste and feel: Sweeeet! Orange, Mango, Pineapple with caramel on top, tropical, malty. Medium to full body. Can sense some pine from the hops, crisp and bitter finish, seems higher in alcohol.

Overall, one bottle is enough, was easier to drink while very cold. Let settle for 10 - 15 minutes, but, became harder to drink, thicker and stinkier, but, not skunky. I was hoping for more.

3.25/5  rDev +7.6%

3.5/5  rDev +15.9%

2.75/5  rDev -8.9%

3.83/5  rDev +26.8%

Pours a golden orange with a big fluffy off white head which leaves some good lacing.

Smell is citrus and tropical mango and a sweet malt undertone.

Taste is nice. Hops are present, yet not obvious. Balanced with the malt. A slightly pithy bitter aftertaste follows.

Feels nice and smooth, a medium body that is easy to drink hides its booze well.

Unfortunately it smells better than it tastes. Still a good beer, but then again, not quite the hops I am looking for in a double.

DOA

2.5/5  rDev -17.2%

1.86/5  rDev -38.4%

Poured into DFH pint glass. No bottle date is listed on this bomber bottle.

A: Color is clear orange with 1/2 finger white head that disappears very quickly. OK carbonation with tiny bubbles. Some lacing is on the glass, but not tons.

S: This beer smells bad. Stale? Too much malt? It's weird for a West Coast DIPA not to have nice hop aroma. Not a good start....

T: Even worse than the smell. Is this beer oxidized? Stale? Something is wrong with this brew. It tastes smokey even. There is malt obviously but I don't get any hop character. Tastes like burning wood, literally.

M: Coats the mouth....I think I am still tasting this hellish brew. Not good.

O: Probably one of the worst beers that I have ever drank and reviewed. I have seen some similar posts and agreed with all the statements. One and done for sure.

3.45/5  rDev +14.2%

I think this beer has been beaten up too much - its sweet but not a bad beer!

pours normal double ipa with a slight head a nd a ton of lacing, carbo and off-opaque blonde look

smell is good, basic hop-driven nose, pine, berries, grapefruit...citrus, a little clean earthiness...

taste is just way too malt driven for this type of beer - it has a decent hop character, but it screams sweetness...its just too syrupy and sweet - other than that its fine but doesn't warrant higher than 3.0

overall, this beer is just too sweet - its not a bad DIPA though, certainly not a C-!!! thats just insane.

1.12/5  rDev -62.9%

My buddy and I attempted to split a 22oz bomber of Hermitage Hoptopia and it was quite honestly the worst beer I've ever had. We both dumped it after a couple of sips.

This tastes and smells of rotten V8 vegetable juice. Even worse - we tried to drink this between bombers of Left Coast Hop Juice and Karl Strauss Double Barrel IPA, and both of those are great.

My buddy said he's had one previously and it was good, but this was so bad it was almost criminal. It's not beer and it's sure as hell not an IPA.

I had read some less-than-stellar reviews on BA after purchasing but I never dreamed a beer could be this bad! This goes way beyond Bud Light/Ice level bad. Horrific!

Hoptopia from Hermitage Brewing