Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Citra (Single Hop Series) | Hermitage Brewing

Citra (Single Hop Series)Citra (Single Hop Series)
3.69/5
Good
Citra (Single Hop Series)Citra (Single Hop Series)

Hermitage Brewing
hermitagebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Spring

Citra is the most well received in our series of Single Hop beers. After taking Gold in 2011 and 2012 at the California Craft Brew Competition, and due to its high demand with our consumers, we decided to make this a year-round style. This IPA pours a dark amber in color with an off-white head. The hop aroma is floral, with citrus notes, while the malts have a toasted barley character with some caramel. Citra‘s hop flavor is resiny, with some citrus quality that is offset by toasty malt flavors with a touch of caramel. This is a moderately full bodied beer, with a bright carbonation, and a dry finish.

Added by dwilson01 on 04-18-2011

1.25/5  rDev -66.1%

2.4/5  rDev -35%

22 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: pours a cloudy orange-gold color with a thin white head.

Smell: when I read single hop citra IPA, I expect a lot of tropical hops, citrus, etc. instead I get yeast and sour malt...which is a massive let down. Now that I think of it this is among the most disappointed in the smell of a beer that I've ever been. It doesn't smell like citra hops...or any hops for that matter.

Taste: not nearly as bad as the smell, but unfortunately that's pretty much the most positive thing I can say about it. I still don't get any hop flavor, there is a decent bready malt backbone and some bittering hops on the finish. Almost decent nondescript American pale ale type flavor, like something I would expect from a pseudo-craft brewery like shock top. Not entirely unpleasant, but I definitely would not seek it out again, and I am deeply upset that this exists under the guise of single hop citra IPA.

Mouthfeel: medium body, medium carbonation, a little too heavy for the style but not too bad.

Overall: Looking at other reviews, I almost feel like I got a bad bottle...that being said I get no indication of infection, oxidation, etc. just a sub-par IPA with very little hop presence

2.5/5  rDev -32.2%

2.6/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Orange, amber appearance, darker than should be for a single hop beer. The citra aroma was mild, but existant at least unlike many of their single hop beers.

This was unfortunately not a good tasting beer. Owed more to a white wine than it did beer or citra hop. Bad mouthfeel and taste, too much wood and butterscotch.

Bad bomber format too.

2.67/5  rDev -27.6%

Good sign of a copper and orange pour, off white head. Mild citra aroma, but pleasant. A little tropical and citrus, nice.

And here comes the diacetyl taste. Envelopes the hops, the whole beer pretty much. Not to rely on a lazy cliche, but it was slightly buttery. A buttery sauvignon blanc mixed with a mild citra single hopped ipa was what I was tasting. This beer was better just smelling it (which the buttery did not reveal itself in the nose).

Can't recommend this one at $5. Again, bought at Bevmo, so who knows. I just don't see myself buying any ipa's from these guys or Bevmo again, such a disappointing experience.

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

2.8/5  rDev -24.1%

Pours a deep orange, opaque with lots of head and decent lacing. Pale malt aroma followed by toasty malt, a bit syrupy, with light and floral hops and bitterness. This was more malty than I bargained for. Bready, yeasty, bitter. This is more viscous than most IPAs, the flavor disappears fast and bitterness lingers, but not too harshly.

I had higher hopes for the Citra version of Hermitages' single hops series. With Sculpin and Aroma Coma leading the way in floral, citrusy hops, how could the Citra hops version not live up to the hype? Well, I think I underestimated Hermitage's ability to screw up a style in which they have so many fine examples. I'm done, Hermitage. Sayanora Tied House. You managed to sucker me into buying three bombers because you are the only ones who did a single hop series, congratulations. Never again.

2.98/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.02/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark gold/orage color. A small white head that sticks around with a lot of lacing on the glass.

Smell of grapefruit and some caramel malts.

Not exactly what I was expecting from a citra ipa. Too heavy on the malt although there is a nice grapefruit rind finish.

A little bit stickier than normal. Good carbonation levels.

Not a horrible beer, but not good either and really expected a lot more from a citra beer especially after having the gloriousness that is Zombie Dust.

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%

Purchased at an area BevMo while on vacation. I think it was $5-something for a 22oz bottle. Into a glass

Pours medium caramel with an inch or so of off white head. Above average lacing.

smells of sticky sweet hops and some malt. average overall and probably a little much. I almost get a stale whiff towards the end, not saying anything about this bottle's freshness, just a smell that reminds me of stale things

taste follows; a bit too strong, not very balanced

A bit slick and syrupy, but pretty good carbonation

Overall not something I'd buy again. I was interested to try some "single hops" type brews. I think I'd prefer a Kern River, but again you can't buy their Citra off the shelf at any BevMo

3.07/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance- Pours a darker orangish red color. Maybe a pinky worth of head only to disappear quickly with small lacing.

Smell- You guessed it, Hops. Some citrus notes and lemon zest not much else.

Taste- One dimensional as expected coming from only one hop. A mixed bag of citrus and a little grains.

Mouthfeel- A little watery for my liking and the hops just sit on your palate long after the sip is gone. Gives me a dry mouth affect.

Overall- I wouldnt buy it again myself, but Im glad I tried it. I guess there is a reason why there are normilly more then one different kind of hop in the better brews.

3.13/5  rDev -15.2%

A a clear burnished copper with a fluffy finger of eggshell white foam, leaving nice lacing. Ripe melon and cantalope, cereal sweet malts, a touch of caramel and a hint of pepe du chat. Mouthfeel is a bit flat and cloying, simple malts backed by a very mild hop bitterness. Almost a rye beer quality going on. Cant be too sure how fresh this is just picked it up at bevmo but i have seen them sitting around for a while - sculpin it is not.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Thanx Chris!

(A)- Pours a slightly hazed amber orange color. Some good white froth and lacing.

(S)- Good citrus meets subtle floral notes meets a good caramel malt base.

(T)- Similar to the smell. Great floral citrus and caramel malt.

(M)- A good carbonation level meets a nice balance of hop, malt, and bitterness.

(O)- Its a solid single hopped beer, just nothing all that exciting; quite straightforward.

3.32/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 22oz bottle. Bright orangey amber with a thick, sticky, white head. Floral, citrus, and pale malts in the nose, with a hint of solvent. Well-carbonated. Creamy mouthfeel with a medium body. Citrus hops upfront, with notes of orange, grapefruit, rind, and pine with an oily and resiny edge followed by some astringency and soapiness. Faint malt sweetness in the back, but overall a dry beer with a lingering hop presence and ashy spiciness.

Although this is a hop-forward beer, a bit more malt balance would go a long way. The hop usage could use some dialing in too; getting some unwelcome flavors.

Citra (Single Hop Series) from Hermitage Brewing