Rochester Mills Oktoberfest | Rochester Mills Beer Co.

good

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.76/5  rDev +4.2%

3.56/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.74/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

3.59/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

Enjoyed one of these at their big tent party last month. It was a nice brownish orange in color with an off white head. The flavor is nutty and toasted malt with lager yeast spice and floral hops in the background. The malt flavor is a nice blend of bready malt with caramel sweetness, well balanced with noble hops and yeast in the crisp finish. A very smooth and drinkable beer. Well made.

3.4/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pretty clear and mostly orange in color, this beige foamy headed beer also provides a bustling nose of nuttiness, dark fruit and crackery malt. Taste follows along ideally until a nuanced bitterness creeps in.

3.3/5  rDev -8.6%

I picked up a can of Rochester Mill's Oktoberfest last week for $2.19 at The lager Mill. I've never had this beer before and since I'm in the mood to try new Marzens this season I thought I would give this one a try, so lets see how goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a a tall 16oz can into my Oktoberfest Stein.

A- The can looks nice, it's got a simple and clean design to it with a Oktoberfest themed background, I think it's just a little eye catching. It poured a medium hazy orange/amber color that took to more of a amber/red color when held to the light with two and half fingers worth of creamy and fluffy light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patchy lacing behind. This was a nice looking Marzen, but it was just a little hazy for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the the malts being the first to show up and they impart a very bread and bread crust like aroma with a slightly lighter toasted malt aroma also coming through. Up next comes a light fruit yeast aroma with a slightly lighter nutty aroma also coming through. This beer had a nice aroma, but it was only a little true to style.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time they stick out just a little more. Up next comes a fruit flavor which is a little similar to the fruity aspect I got in the aroma, but this time it's a little apple juice like. On the finish there's medium amount of light bitterness with spicy hop flavors and a very malty aftertaste. This was a decnt tasting beer, but it was a little rough around the edges and that made it not the truest to style.

M- Fairly smooth, not the cleanest, pretty crisp, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent, but I felt like it was a little thick for the style.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and decent example of a Marzen, every aspect just had something that was off and that made it never really line up perfectly with the style and I thought it lacked the balance that the good German ones all seem to have. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not the cleanest, pretty crisp, a little filling and the taste just did an ok job at holding my attention and I think one pint would be enough for me, it just doesn't have the body and balance that it should have to be a sessionable beer. What I like the most about this beer was nothing, there wasn't one single aspect that I thought stood out as being better than the rest. What I liked the least about this beer was the drinkability and balance, those two aspects needed the most work. I don't think I would buy this beer again, it's very easy to find a better Marzen, but I don't think I would turn one down and I can't say I would recommend it as a good Marzen, but it's worth a shot to see where you stand with it. All in all I wasn't too impressed with this beer, it just seemed like every aspect had something that was a little wrong with it and nothing about this beer really stood out as being a good and true to style example of a Marzen. It's pretty middle of the road as far as American made Marzens go and as far as the brewery goes this seems to be right about on the same level as some of the other beers I tired from them like their stout and red ale. Better luck next time guys, this ones needs some work.

3.25/5  rDev -10%

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

3.52/5  rDev -2.5%

3.25/5  rDev -10%

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Had this on tap at their Oktoberfest event.

A - Nice dark brown, little bit cloudy. Not much head, but there were lines and they were pouring in quantity.

S - Mostly yeasty or bready.

T - Toasty, with lots of good malt, chocolate/caramel touches, yeast.

M - Smooth, not too carbonated, heavy but easy to drink. Inoffensive finish.

O - I've only had it twice in two years, but I'm glad I went back for a second time. Quite nice.

3.72/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Rochester Mills Oktoberfest from Rochester Mills Beer Co.