Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPA | Rochester Mills Beer Co.

good
Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPARochester Mills Cornerstone IPA

Rochester Mills Beer Co.
rochestermillsbeerco.com

Style: American IPA

Added by mjohn27603 on 11-09-2002

A: Pours out a light honey color with a massive amount of floaties. There is about one half finger of pure white head that settles nicely over time. There is some lacing left on the glass as it drinks. But the floaties are out of control!

S: The nose if chalk full-o-malt with a touch of pine in the background. I'm hoping this beer is a bit old, and that it's not supposed to smell this malty.

T: There is some sweet malt right up front, and a thin citrus bite in the back end. There is a funky spoiled sour taste that I'm not enjoying at all.

M: Light bodied beer. Not much carbonation to speak of. There is nothing notable here.

O: I have a strong suspicion that this beer is pretty old. The smell and taste are both off, and the carbonation is non-existent. I'd like to try a fresh can sometime in the future to make sure what I just tried is not how the beer is supposed to taste. If it is... it's a straight up terrible beer.

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

2.61/5  rDev -28.1%

Got this on tap last night when my girlfriend and I went to dinner with some friends from Maryland.

Pours a cloudy golden yellow and about a quarter inch of head. Head took off rather quickly and I didn't notice any lacing whatsoever.

Smell was of citrus, pepper and hops...definitely hops!

The first thing that struck me was the rush of extreme hops and pepper as I drank this beer. It wasn't really the bitterness that got me but just how peppery this beer tasted. Everything else was insignificant compared to that.

Felt like a light bodied beer that didn't have any carbonation bubbles as you drank. Aftertaste was bitter and peppery.

I thought I would give IPA's another try but was proved that I was not as ready as I thought I was. Seriously...only true hop head need apply!

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

2.78/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer started off as a normal-looking one. Nice golden color and dissapated head by the time the waitress brought it to me. (She wasn't slow. But the head went away in a couple minutes.) A huge stink of hops is immediately obvious when you dip your nose into the rim. That was quite impressive and then I tasted it. Jesus Christ... Floral hops? This beer tastes like a Christmas Tree! The immediate flavor that punches your tounge is Christmas tree and then once you set the glass down the taste that invades your mouth is juniper bush. It's crazy. I've never tasted an I.P.A. quite like this. I HAD to have my wife try it... even though she's pregnant. She took a very small sip and said "whoa!... Pine tree!"

It was a little bit too overwhelming. They must have hopped the hell out of this brew. Weird beer. I'll have to try another batch in the future...

2.9/5  rDev -20.1%

2.94/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

2.98/5  rDev -17.9%

3.02/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured this undated 16 oz. can into a Sierra Nevada hops glass. The body was a hazy copper/gold. with a creamy yellowy head. Sediment settled.

The smell was flowery. Slight malty syrup. Bread and apples.

The taste was muted. Gentle bitterness and slight fruitiness. Could be old??

The mouthfeel was medium to light bodied with a slickness. Lightly carbonated.

3.03/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

3.13/5  rDev -13.8%

Purchased from brewpub directly - stored in a refrigerator on site. 12 oz bottle. Also available on tap. Copper in color, head seems to dissapate quickly. I don't pick up much aroma. If anything the smell is more on the malty side than hoppy. First sip gives obvious hops bitterness associated with this style. However, I don't get any underlying maltiness or sweetness to balance the flavor. I enjoy this style with a little bit of citrus taste or something besides an assault of hops. Carbonation is fizzy. A bit on the dry side.

16oz can

a - pours a deep copper color with a one-finger ivory head, retention around the edge with minimal lacing, quite hazy

s - very light aroma, caramel and biscuit malt with a subtle piney hop aroma, not much alcohol detected

t - lemon and pine hop notes up front, moderately bitter, significant caramel and biscuit malt, finish is lingering pine, lemon rind, light cola and caramel, light boozy heat

m - medium-bodied, moderate to light carbonation, pretty dry overall, light alcohol warming

d - not harsh on the palate, but not that interesting either, gets a bit boring halfway through the pint

Not too bad of an effort overall, but nothing I'll likely revisit. Worth buying a single if you see it in the store, but don't go out of your way for it.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPA from Rochester Mills Beer Co.