Rochester Mills Rochester Red | Rochester Mills Beer Co.

good
Rochester Mills Rochester RedRochester Mills Rochester Red

Rochester Mills Beer Co.
rochestermillsbeerco.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by mjohn27603 on 11-10-2002

2.45/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev -28%

2.5/5  rDev -28%

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

2.82/5  rDev -18.7%

Drank a ton of this on tap during Penguicon 6.0
I wish the people running Penguicon picked a better beer to serve but I think the reason it was chosen was because it wouldn't be that offensive of a beer to someone who is used to MBC beers. Typical red ale, bland taste with a bitter aftertaste. Smelled okay. Nothing to write home about.

Had on-tap at Twisted Rooster in Chesterfield, Michigan. Only $2 for a pint, so why not?

Man... disappointed. That's all I can say about this beer. It had this... odd smell. Like dusty rocks/malts. It was unusual, and not in a good way. The taste was a bit better -- it had a very deep, almost stout/porter flavor with a kind of rusty aftertaste. Rochester Red isn't an awful beer, but I can't say it's something I'd have again. Just not made with the highest quality of malts..

3.2/5  rDev -7.8%

3.21/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

I picked up a can of Rochester Mills Rochester Red last week for $2.19 at The Lager Mill. I think I had this beer before at a beer festival, but I don't remember anything about it and i'm interested in revisiting it, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but it just showed up so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a 16oz can into an imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks nice and it has a clean and classic look to it with lots of information to go with it. It poured a nice amber/red color that took on a nice ruby red hue when held to the light with a fingers worth of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is an ok looking beer, the color was nice but the head and lacing were a little disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher medium amount of sweetness that had a slight brown sugar aroma to it and it was followed by loads of malts that impart some caramel malts and brown bread flavors with a pretty big dark fruit aroma with no one fruit sticking out the most and there were some more grainy aromas towards the end. The aroma was nice and full of malts, but it could of used some hops to bring some balance to the aroma.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a nice amount of medium sweetness followed by loads of malts that impart some caramel malts, brown bread, and grainy flavors with a real light roasted flavor. The dark fruits only barely show up. On the finish was a light amount of bitterness with a grainy and caramel malt like aftertaste. This beer was pretty average tasting, there were just some generic caramel malt flavors and not much else.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was an average example of a red ale, there was pretty much no complexity too this beer and with no hops showing up the balance wasn't that good either. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth and not too filling, but the flavors didn't do a good job at holding my attention so one pint can is enough for me, I have no urge to drink another one after this. What I liked most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was nice, the body was just were at should be and the carbonation was good too. What I liked the least about this beer was how bland the taste was, all I could pick up was a bland and generic caramel malt flavors with nothing else really shining through. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's just too boring of a beer and I wouldn't recommend it to my friends, it had nothing that sets it apart for the style. All in all i was let down with this beer and it wasn't memorable. I like that Rochester Mills is getting their beer out to Michigan in 16oz cans but I have yet to be impressed with any of them, I'm still waiting to have a beer that I like from them. Better luck next time guys, this was one forgettable Red Ale.

3.23/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.23/5  rDev -6.9%

Drank on draught on site of Rochester Mills Beer Company. Reddish orange in appearance. Served with one finger height of head. Not much aroma. The flavor is malty with some caramel. Not much else going on in the flavor. A rather bland style. The freshness of the beer helps some. I probably wouldn't get this beer in a bottle and probably won't return to this beer again.

3.25/5  rDev -6.3%

Rochester Mills Rochester Red from Rochester Mills Beer Co.