AXL Pale Ale | MillKing It Productions

3.27/5
Okay
AXL Pale AleAXL Pale Ale

MillKing It Productions

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by WeisGuy on 08-23-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.77/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a light amber with short, soapy, white head. Some lacing present.

Aroma is clean, crisp malt bill warning you of little hop presence. Follows through to the taste of nicely, lightly toasted malts (thinking crystal malts here). Very little hops with a crisp and dry finish.

Body is very light, perhaps a bit too light (watery).

Overall, a bit more hops would help this one in my opinion, especially in the aroma. But the malts are the star here and actually take center stage with little hesitation. A fine backbone for what could truly be a great beer. About a 3.8 in my book. And enough to make me sample this Brewery again. (if not visit as it's very local)

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.63/5  rDev +41.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Axl pale ale by MIP

3.5/5  rDev +7%

3.5/5  rDev +7%

2.75/5  rDev -15.9%

3.58/5  rDev +9.5%

Heavy on the malts on this one. Sweet tones abound. A tang stays constant and obvious. This is a pretty decent drinker. The American in me immediately would like more hop tones, but I can roll with this. It's solid in its execution. Not sure I would really go back to it, but always nice to try a small and new brewery. A cask version of this would be interesting to see.

3.48/5  rDev +6.4%

I picked up a can of MillKing It Productions AXL Pale Ale a couple days ago for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. This brewery just showed up in my part of Michigan, I think I had this beer before but it was a long time when I first got into craft beer, so I'm interested to see what it's like, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling, but I think it's fairly fresh since it just showed up. Poured from a 16oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- I really like the way this can looks, it just has a nice clean and well done look to it. It poured a nice golden yellow color that took on a darker orange tint when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of chunky white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing. This is a proper looking Pale Ale, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a good amount of malts that had a higher amount of sweetness to them and imparted a grainy, brown bread, and caramel like aroma. Next comes the hops first they smell pretty spicy, but after that comes a little citrus hop aroma that makes the aroma a little more interesting. I liked the aroma, but it was a little on the sweet side.

T- The taste is seems to be similar to the aroma. It starts off with the malts which are far less sweet then the aroma led me to believe, they impart some grainy, brown bread and a really slight caramel flavor. After that comes the hops which are full of spicy hop flavors with hardly any citrus to be found. Towards the finish it starts to taste a little watered down with a pretty low amount of bitterness with a spicy and grainy aftertaste. The taste seemed to be slightly above average for an American Pale Ale.

M- Pretty damn smooth, crisp, refreshing, a little watery, on the medium side of being light bodied, and it had a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel worked well with this beer, but I could have done without the watery feel.

Overall I thought this beer was ok and it was a slightly above average example of the style, it had some nice American Pale Ale aspects to it, but it also had some unwanted aspects. This beer had great drinkability and went down very smooth, but the flavor didn't do the greatest job at holding my attention, two pint cans would be enough for me. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, it looked pretty good for a Pale Ale and I liked that it stayed pretty true to style. What I liked least about this beer was the watery feel and taste that this beer had, it would be much better without it. I might buy this again when looking for a decent Pale Ale that comes in a can, but I can't see myself going out of the way to buy a single and I don't think I would want a four pack. All in all this was an ok first impression for this brewery and I wouldn't mind checking out more of their beers, but this beer is a ways away from being a great American Pale Ale, still decent though.

1.12/5  rDev -65.7%

a: Straw colored. Very clear. Excessive head from too much carbonation (this one was a gusher)

s: Light, caramel malt flavor. Spicy hop aroma. Don't pick up much of the citrus of American hops

t: Can taste mild malt sweetness. Quite bitter without much hop flavor. Has some sour notes to it (I suspect lactic acid). Somewhat astringent too

m: Excessive carbonation. Not very pleasant. Astringent and not smooth

o: This beer was a gusher and was likely infected (gusher and sour notes). Not a very freshing beer. I would recommend that they check their sanitation procedures.

2.91/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Jason found this at a store in Royal Oaks - he somehow always manages to find the best beers to share with me. Served in a tulip.

A - Slow gusher - first time I've seen that from a can. Big white foam with great retention and glass-coating lace. Hazy orange-amber body with a few visible bubbles and tiny particulates at the bottom of the glass.

S - Perhaps this should be called an ABPA - American Brett Pale Ale. Citrus hops mingle with medicinal and tropical brett funk. There's a light dollop of honey and toffee malts in the background. Surprisingly decent considering it's infected.

T - Taste is far worse. Malty pale ale with a bit of light citrus and a dusty, medicinal finish. Not entirely unpalatable - would make a passable hoppy brett beer I suppose.

M - Low carbonation, smooth medium-light body, lightly sticky finish with some dryness as well. No alcohol presence.

D - As a pale ale this is a complete failure. As a hoppy brett beer it's not bad at all. Split the difference on the scores.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast