Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse | Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute ( http://www.doemens.org ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

Added by MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007

Ratings: 1,402 |  Reviews: 584
3.15/5  rDev -23%

pours a semi-hazy sunshine yellow, with a large white bubbly head, live carbonation, and not much of a lacing.

smell is of wheat, light citrus, and a touch of spice.

taste is crisp, lots of lemon (too much), and yeast, ends on the sour side.

overall tastes better than it look or smells, refreshing, leaves mouth clean.

3.2/5  rDev -21.8%

3.21/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a hazy light yellow with a huge head and a ton of carbonation.

Aroma is bubblegum, green apple, hay and loose tobacco.

Taste is similar to the aroma with wheat and some green apple tartness, but not super tart. I don't pick up any lacto. The finish is relatively dry and slightly tart.

Overall, this was somewhat of a disappointment. It just tasted like a boring, fizzy wheat beer with a little bit of tartness. I'll conclude that I prefer the modern American Berliners with a more robust lacto component than this traditional Berliner.

3.24/5  rDev -20.8%

Very citrus smell with west but too carbonated for my taste.

3.25/5  rDev -20.5%

a huge wheatiness spews forth. spice also, and it really smells like a wit. as i would have expected: some tartness. the head was huge up front, and fell steadily. very light, slightly hazy

the tartness is quite a bit more prevalent in the taste, and really carries the rest of the flavor profile on its back. some sweetness, but the citricity is the most noticeable of the flavors. coriander and other spices come through. caraway?

3.27/5  rDev -20%

16.9 oz bottle served in a snifter

A - light yellow with particles, plenty of sediment despite careful pour.

S - not entirely pleasant

T - Surprise! Pleasant and shockingly tart. Typical German weisse flavor underneath but dominated by slightly fruity tartness.

M - tartness is main feature of the mouthfeel.

O - not being a fan of middle-of-the-road German weisse, I actually prefer this tart variant.

3.32/5  rDev -18.8%

The aroma has sour wheat, sour kraut, barley, and yeast with virtually no hops. The appearance is hazy with gold color and a nice head. The flavor is sour but not overly so and very much like the aroma. The palate is thin but just right. Overall it's close to being good.

3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

Live review. Poured from the "1 pint, .9oz" bottle that I purchased at World Wines & Liquor in Mentor a few days ago for $2.99 into my SN Anniversary Ale pint glass.

A Huge, 4 inch white meringue like head that stuck around for a few minutes. The head was very active, popping with carbonation as it dissipated rather quickly down to a trace island in the middle of the beer. Body is very light yellow, kind of boring. 3.5

S Effervescent, citrus, barley smells. Beer also smells "light." 3.0

T/M Very light feel, bubbly, effervescent with carbonation dancing across my tongue in a light, citrusy dance. Taste is not very strong frankly with some light citrus and distant barley tastes. I cannot say that I really like this taste as it is too distant for me. Festina Peche (the only other Berliner Weisse that I rated) was more flavorful. 3.0

D Highly drinkable and I am sure refreshing on a hot day, say after yardwork or something. This thing is that I would not reach for this in that situation, I would probably go with a more tasty and more available beer such as SNPA. 4.5

3.34/5  rDev -18.3%

Pours straw colored, cloudy as the bottle gets towards the bottom. Nothing really as far as head or lacing goes.

Smells like tart, lemony funk.

Taste is light, tart through and through. Dry lemon flavors, some barnyard-style funk and not too much else.

A bit fizzy and very light.

This one is as easy to drink as seltzer water. Nothing bad here at all, and while I've never had a Berliner Weissbier before, I'd like my sour beers with a bit more going on than this.

3.34/5  rDev -18.3%

Serving: poured from 500ml bottle into Blue Moon weizen glass.

Appearance: wow! huge frothing head that forced me to ease up on the pour. Clear straw yellow color with vigorous carbonation. Fun to watch the head from the top as it actually surges and bubbles for minutes.

Smell: dry with a hint of lemon citrus. Slight wheat smell.

Taste: dry with lemon, then you get the intense bitter sourness.

Mouthfeel: light, extremely carbonated and dry, slightly mouth puckering.

Overall: Very interesting, almost like a mix of a dry champagne and sugarless European citrus soda with some wheat grounding it in beer territory. While I am willing to try this style again, I found the dry sourness to be a bit intense. Luckily I was able to pair this with some food (baked salmon), but I do not think I would drink this without food.

3.35/5  rDev -18.1%

poured crisp clean yellow with hints of orange and copper. light fizzy head that quickly disappeared. little to no retention or lacing.

light vinegar with hints of funk and lemon. light malt presence.

light sweetness. very light lemonhead like flavor. malts were a bit dominant but blended with the sweetness.

light to moderate carbonation. not much dryness but a bit.

i was a bit let down by this. not as pronounced as i'd like or have come to known. lacks dominating flavors and is more or less a bit bland. overall, probably would not seek out that often but easy to drink.

3.35/5  rDev -18.1%

I wasn't really familiar with the Berliner Weisse style before having this beer. After one sip I'm sure I'll never forget it now. Not expecting the lemon wallop that hit me in the mouth I thought there was something wrong with the beer at first until I read up a little on the style.

Reading the reviews here I wonder if I'm more sensitive to lemon. I read here that some people thought this was a "subtle" lemon flavor. To me this was a sharp, intense, lemon flavor that was shockingly tart.

While this is not really my style of beer at all I did enjoy trying a very different beer than what I'm used to. I appreciated it but I don't know if I'll be rushing out to try more beers in this style.

3.36/5  rDev -17.8%

A: Pours golden, big white head. Lots of floaties.

S: Apple ciderish nose, citrus rind, accented with some must.

T/M: Tartness is present but subdued. Impression of lemons and yeasty bread. Light in body, high in carbonation.

O: A refreshing beer, excellent with a light meal with enough flavor to stand on its own. I liked the White Birch Berliner Weiss better, however.

3.37/5  rDev -17.6%

This beer poured out as a very pale hazy looking yellow color. The head was white and had a light lacing on the glass. The smell of the beer was kind of on the tart side, wasn't really thinking it'd be like that but it was. The taste of the beer was also a little tart but subtle. They offered some Woodruff syrup to add into the brew and I found that to be interesting. I liked the beer more with the syrup which is probably frowned upon by some people. The mouthfeel was light and refreshing. Overall the beer was refreshing the tartness was tolerable and would probably be most enjoyed on hot days.

3.38/5  rDev -17.4%

500ml bottle poured into a Berliner Kindl bowl.

A - Pours a golden amber color which is a touch darker than I expect out of this style of beer. A thin soda-like head falls quickly to the surface leaving behind only the never-ending replenishment supply of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the bowl. Crystal clear - a beer you can read thru.

S - Acetic, sour, some apple cider vinegar nature, some slight lemony flavor too. Not as fruity or delicate as I'd like to see here.

T - Sour, as expected, acetic acid, a bit buttery, no real fruitiness, dry, a bit minerally, somewhat champagne like. Some breadlike malt character too...a bit heavy for the style.

M - Mouthfeel is thin and watery with good medium high carbonation. Puckering and quite dry and crisp. Pretty good overall.

D - I've had a number of Berliner Weissbiers and this one stands out as different from all of the others I've had...more alcohol, more malt character, darker color...all seem to be a bit off for the style. This is still an enjoyable beer, but I would call it a bit flawed for the style.

3.39/5  rDev -17.1%

This is a fascinating and amazingly interesting beer. It's not an appealing beer to behold, being a little cloudy and full of floaties. The head is a soda-pop fizz that fades as quickly as it forms. The aroma, however, is complex and intriguing. Sour-smelling, lactic, horse-sweat, funk, grass, and straw. It's not as appealing as a lambic's smell, but it is interesting, and will surely keep your nose engaged. The taste is not really sour..but very well balanced. More funk, and a very appealing crispness. It would be quite refreshing on a hot summer day (too bad I'm drinking it on a cold winter night). Light body, with a relatively low carbonation. Great smoothness and texture...I love the mouthfeel. All in all, this is not a beer that I'd go out of my way to drink, but it's a wonderful experience. Hail the funk!

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

500ml bottle into a goblet.

A: Pours a hazy straw color. There's about one finger worth of white-colored head. Because the actual body looks fizzy, retention is poor. The soapiness of the head's texture also means that no lacing is left on the glass.

S: Like the style would suggest, there's a healthy lacto presence, expressing itself as funky, stank-ass cheese. Acidic notes are actually fairly prevalent. It's pretty simple, but a bit more balanced than most.

T: Tartness hits the palate first, but only very briefly. Wheat notes end up being the dominant flavor, especially around the mid-taste. If there's any flaw, it's that the finish seems a bit empty. I don't really care, though, because this is the first example of the style I'd call "good".

M: This has the kind of feel that works perfectly in hot weather: light-bodied, dry, fizzy, with a hint of lingering tartness. Really fizzy, in fact - the carbonation is almost brutal at times. Still goes down easily.

O: Out of the Berliner Weissbiers I've rated, not a single one has scored higher than a 3 from me. This, though, is actually quite solid. Beers like these are exactly why I never give up on a style I dislike. This would also make a great introduction to those who've never had the style before.

3.39/5  rDev -17.1%

Cloudy gold color with a big bubble fluff head that dies to nothing and leaves no lace. fine.
Smells a bit farty sadly. Smells like wine that's been left on the lees for too long. Anaerobic decomposition stank. A bit eggy. Some h2s smellies? Or like a half jug of apple cider you forgot you had in the back of your fridge. Not entirely unpleasant but not so nice.
MMM taste is clean tart and refreshing with absolutely no hint at all of the stinksies in the nose. Not complex but so nice to quaff. Lemon and cider with a bit of wet grain on the swallow.
Carb is lively and inviting and it goes down nice a easy.
I wish that nose was a bit cleaner. I understand the process lends itself to that...but not all of 'em I've had have a stank. With my experience so far with this style I've liked the American versions much better than the german versions. This one is alright and nice to quaff.

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse from Professor Fritz Briem